TheRaider.net

Go Back   The Raven > Beyond the Films > Collecting Indy
User Name
Password

Old 05-12-2009, 08:38 AM   #1251
Luke Sprywalker
IndyFan

OH HOLY CRAP! I didn't realize the tank was removable! Now we can all try this and don't need a second truck. Everyone should try to make their own version of this style truck. Someone could do the top swing arm if they wanted. This is another great vehicle Dark Horse, very inspiring. Sadly I think I have a can of paint in my shop that will match it much better. Check out Montana Cans, they sell Graffiti paint in all colors under the sun.

Now for an update...

I am calling this one 99% done. All I want now is a cast of my skeleton to add the second one to the scene. If anyone that does casting is interested in having one I would love to send it to you and get the original and 1 cast in return. I have had this little fire bucket made for 2 weeks and finally got some glass paint to make the flames. Here are the latest photos...

Alternate blood stained head on Mola Ram.

I went with the red effect on some pics so they would look more like the film. Also a big thanks goes out to a friend, you know who you are, that helped me get the alternate head for Mola Ram and the second blood cup, I made the third skull in the back as it looked different from the rest.
Luke Sprywalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2009, 08:46 AM   #1252
Dark Horse
IndyFan

More great work from you, mate!

A good source of flames is to cut them from a clearenced Human Torch figure. They're everywhere!
Dark Horse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2009, 12:23 PM   #1253
Lance Quazar
IndyFan

You guys are amazing! Luke, LOVING the new pictures of your gorgeous diorama!

And you put the voodoo doll in there!! Brilliant!!!

Dark Horse, the gas truck is looking sensational!! Phenomenal work, keep it up!

Thanks for the comments on Belloq, you guys are my idols!

Luke, I just got lucky with the colors, the skin tones just happened to match fairly well, I did no painting beyond the outfit on this figure. The neck is a little darker than the head, though. But I chalk that up to the fact that his massive hat ( ) probably keeps his head well shielded from the sun, but not so much his neck.

That said, the hat size doesn't bother me much. I agree it's a little big, but it doesn't seem too far off. I'd rather have it a little big than a little small. I think it looks more noticeable in the first picture with the low angle looking up at it. But I appreciate the honest feedback and I don't want to sound defensive!

As for the egyptian obelisks - I bought those at a hobby store. Prior to that, though, I had been meaning to buy very similar items on ebay, but when I saw them in a store, I snatched 'em up to save on shipping.

All you have to do is put "egyptian obelisk" into an ebay search and many similar items will come up. They're fairly reasonable, don't pay more than $10 to $12 (at the most) a piece.

I still owe you some other pics!!!
Lance Quazar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2009, 03:31 PM   #1254
Luke Sprywalker
IndyFan

Thanks guys. The flames are made with hot glue, then painted with glass paint. I figured it out years ago when making flames for Jabba's cooking pit. That didn't turn out as good though. I just use the low setting and shape the glue like flames as I apply. I also blow on it as I go to help it cool faster. It looks a mess as you do it but all the strings pull off easily in the end. I didn't think of taking a pic before paint. The fire bucket is a McDonald's condiment cup, I have about 20 of them, with lids. Also I stole the rocks/fake coal from the bottom of my gas log fireplace.
Old 05-16-2009, 10:04 AM   #1255
lao che & sons
IndyFan

does anyone know if the star treck action figure heas can be used on indiana jones figures ? I wan't to us sulu to make a lao che or wu han
lao che & sons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2009, 10:43 AM   #1256
Dark Horse
IndyFan

Here's some more progress on the truck- Humbrol Olive Drab FTW!

Just gotta add the decals (that should have arrived days ago) and it's done!
Dark Horse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2009, 02:37 PM   #1257
lao che & sons
IndyFan

does anyone know if the star treck action figure heads can be used on indiana jones figures ? I wan't to us sulu to make a lao che or wu han
lao che & sons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2009, 02:54 PM   #1258
sebillba
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by lao che & sons
does anyone know if the star treck action figure heads can be used on indiana jones figures ? I wan't to us sulu to make a lao che or wu han

To quote tnswman from page 76 of this very thread:

"I just got the entire Star Trek line today at Wal-Mart ( look on the endcaps in big shelf stands )..They do NOt have the appropriate heads..The heads and necks are attached like theold SW figures and NOT ball / swivel heads."
sebillba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2009, 11:35 AM   #1259
inky_skin
IndyFan

Couple of new customs figures for you. If you've been over at Cool Toy Review during the blackout here, you may have already seen them...

Marion: Raven Bar

Indiana Jones: Jim Steranko Concept Art

inky_skin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2009, 02:29 PM   #1260
ChromiumBlue37
IndyFan

NICELY done, Inky! I know what I want for Christmas this year. The concept Indy is wonderful!
ChromiumBlue37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2009, 02:35 PM   #1261
ChromiumBlue37
IndyFan

NICELY done, Inky! I know what I want for Christmas this year. The concept Indy is wonderful!
ChromiumBlue37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2009, 09:08 PM   #1262
Luke Sprywalker
IndyFan

Inky - I love Marion, the parts you chose are perfect and great sculpting on the shirt. The concept Indy is very cool. I love the Marlboro Man look of him. A bit tougher and muscular look.

I got a bit irritated as I watched ROTLA about 2 weeks ago and I could not find a German Soldier that looked like the figure we got from Hasbro. I must admit my version is not exactly accurate either but it looks a lot better to me. I took them apart, cut off the big ammo packs on the front of all but two, glued on various packs and some have gun holsters to improve the belt. Then the suspenders and belt were painted tan and the packs black. The shirt and pants should be tan as well but I didn't want to go through that now or when/if I open more. Since the suspenders/belt are not green the uniforms look a little more tan now to me, well kinda. All faces, necks, hands have been painted other than the last few. I figure everyone doesn't have the same skin tone so some have 2 layers, some have 3 and some need to be matched better. Not sure the pics show well enough but some of the same sculpt heads have different eye and hair color. Some I just added facial hair and the Joe heads and a few others have removable hats. So here are all my German Soldiers, Mechanics and Supply Staff.

Everyone has done this one so I never posted this one before. I hope to make a diorama for this scene one day...

Old 06-01-2009, 12:46 AM   #1263
Lance Quazar
IndyFan

Nice to see the custom forum humming again after the hiatus!

That's a HELLUVAN impressive army there, Spry. Wow!!!!

My favorite is the German in the green t shirt. But great stuff all around!
Old 06-01-2009, 05:51 PM   #1264
Kevin
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luke Sprywalker
Everyone has done this one so I never posted this one before. I hope to make a diorama for this scene one day...

Umm, I've never seen this before, what is this head?
Kevin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2009, 06:13 PM   #1265
Insomniac
IndyFan

Nice lot of nazis!
Insomniac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2009, 05:59 AM   #1266
Luke Sprywalker
IndyFan

Thanks guys and Kevin that head is from one of the wrestling figures. I wish I had about 5 of them as you could sculpt/paint different color hair and use it for many different scenes.
Old 06-02-2009, 07:54 AM   #1267
pipecito2112YYZ
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luke Sprywalker
Inky - I love Marion, the parts you chose are perfect and great sculpting on the shirt. The concept Indy is very cool. I love the Marlboro Man look of him. A bit tougher and muscular look.

I got a bit irritated as I watched ROTLA about 2 weeks ago and I could not find a German Soldier that looked like the figure we got from Hasbro. I must admit my version is not exactly accurate either but it looks a lot better to me. I took them apart, cut off the big ammo packs on the front of all but two, glued on various packs and some have gun holsters to improve the belt. Then the suspenders and belt were painted tan and the packs black. The shirt and pants should be tan as well but I didn't want to go through that now or when/if I open more. Since the suspenders/belt are not green the uniforms look a little more tan now to me, well kinda. All faces, necks, hands have been painted other than the last few. I figure everyone doesn't have the same skin tone so some have 2 layers, some have 3 and some need to be matched better. Not sure the pics show well enough but some of the same sculpt heads have different eye and hair color. Some I just added facial hair and the Joe heads and a few others have removable hats. So here are all my German Soldiers, Mechanics and Supply Staff.

WOW that's the most cool German army EVER!!! sure me brother-in-law gonna love that set... congrats!
an where's the Joneses??
pipecito2112YYZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2009, 08:59 AM   #1268
Rocket Surgeon

Very cool work! Like the screamer...where did you find him? You slip in a Tuskegee Air Man?

Think Lucas will release any Red Tails action figures?

Thanks for posting...nice job.
Rocket Surgeon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2009, 08:04 PM   #1269
Charlemagne
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by lao che & sons

The Master Roshi figure from the Dragonball Z movie line has a ball-jointed Chow Yun Fat head that is in the 3.75" scale. I'm not sure how big/small the ball joint is, however.

Awesome concept figure, Inky! Now you should try your hand at a "Tom Selleck as Indy" concept figure

Does anyone have any suggestions for a Rick O'Connell (from the Mummy films) head? He seems like an easy figure to assemble from Indy parts. I'm not even that big of a fan of the movies but I think Rick would look cool next to Indy on the shelf.
Charlemagne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2009, 12:53 AM   #1270
Lance Quazar
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlemagne
The Master Roshi figure from the Dragonball Z movie line has a ball-jointed Chow Yun Fat head that is in the 3.75" scale. I'm not sure how big/small the ball joint is, however.

Wow, I never even heard of this line, but after a quick 'net search, it looks like there's some good fodder there!
Old 06-03-2009, 05:05 PM   #1271
Sherpa
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jr.Jones
Dietrich
Dietrich

Jr.Jones, is your Dietrich head a mod of Hasbro's German Soldier head, or is it from a different figure? I love it.
Sherpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2009, 05:39 PM   #1272
Kevin
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlemagne
Awesome concept figure, Inky! Now you should try your hand at a "Tom Selleck as Indy" concept figure

Ha, that would be great! Maybe use Mutt's head?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherpa
Jr.Jones, is your Dietrich head a mod of Hasbro's German Soldier head, or is it from a different figure? I love it.

That is 25th Flint with a different hat and new hair color. It really looks good.
Kevin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2009, 07:52 PM   #1273
Luke Sprywalker
IndyFan

That is a great Dietrich custom. I don't think that is the german soldier head, it kind of looks like Tarkin but not sure.

Funny I have a version of my own to show along with his side kick and Indy in disguise. Indy isn't my best face repaint but it will do for now, this was one of the heads with crazy eyes.

Not sold on the Dietrich head as far as likeness to the actor but he doesn't look bad with the hat on.

I was also wondering if anyone thinks this head looks like Belloch? I have some more sanding to do on the chin and final paint job, it looks like a decent resemblance so far to me.

Old 06-04-2009, 07:58 AM   #1274
inky_skin
IndyFan

Great work all round guys.

I think you'll find that Jr Jones' Dietrich has a Flint head from the GI Joe line (I know that's what I used for mine).

*EDIT*: Oops - missed Kevins identification of the headsculpt !
Old 06-08-2009, 05:31 AM   #1275
inky_skin
IndyFan

Okay, while not the greatest fan of KotCS, I did like the character of Mac. Interesting backstory, slightly shady, cool costume. Therefore I figured a custom was due as I think he should have replaced one of the alternate Mutt Williams slots in the official wave.

This shot is a WIP, showing the sculpted elements I've added to the basic parts...

The base is mostly Indy and Captain Antilles. More pics when the paint apps are complete.

Last edited by inky_skin : 06-08-2009 at 05:36 AM.