Indy 5 news 2018

TheFirebird1

Udvarnoky said:
This speculative concern about whether a Lucasfilm restructuring will theoretically impact the Indy 5 marketing machine - which is now three years away from revving up - is baffling to me. It's possibly the least relevant matter right now when it comes to this project.
Here's the problem, though. If we go by statements from Ford back in early September, where he stated that a new script was finished and Spielberg stating that actual filming was set to begin in April 2019, it's not ridiculous to assume that pre-production and all of the developments associated with that had already begun. Delays and restructuring will definitely affect that in the long run. From my point of view, it's not too baffling to worry about, to say the least, and definitely not the least relevant matter, but I'll be the first to admit I'm wrong if any new developments about production surface.

TheFirebird1

Udvarnoky said:
The article only suggests that Ford had been given a new draft to read.
Pay attention to word usage here, though. He clearly states (through the article's author, anyways) that a "new script is ready for him to read." Not a draft or anything else of that nature (i.e. treatments and such), and combined with Spielberg's statements about entering production in April 2019 (a specific start date) it's safe to say that a script had been approved, which adds fuel to the speculation that Kasdan was most likely brought in as a last-minute replacement.

IndyBuff

Looks like this film is done and buried. I was happy with the way KOTCS ended so at least there's that.

TheFirebird1

IndyBuff said:
Looks like this film is done and buried. I was happy with the way KOTCS ended so at least there's that.
I don't think it's dead yet. If it gets delayed again, probably. But as for now, I think we should still expect an Indy 5 with Harrison to come out at least in 2021.

Udvarnoky

TheFirebird1 said:
Pay attention to word usage here, though. He clearly states (through the article's author, anyways) that a "new script is ready for him to read." Not a draft or anything else of that nature (i.e. treatments and such), and combined with Spielberg's statements about entering production in April 2019 (a specific start date) it's safe to say that a script had been approved, which adds fuel to the speculation that Kasdan was most likely brought in as a last-minute replacement.

I completely disagree. A new draft is exactly what the wording implies. At any rate, recent events make it clear that the script never received approval. It wouldn't make sense to start prepping a film without an approved script.

Start dates, much like release dates, get announced and retracted all the time. (Let's not forget that we're on our second release date change with this project, with the original 2019 date announced before work had even begun on the screenplay.) Setting a start date was possibly an indicator that Spielberg thought development was proceeding nicely, but obviously things changed.

TheFirebird1

Udvarnoky said:
I completely disagree. A new draft is exactly what the wording implies. At any rate, recent events make it clear that the script never received approval. It wouldn't make sense to start prepping a film without an approved script.

Start dates, much like release dates, get announced and retracted all the time. Setting one was possibly an indicator that Spielberg thought development was proceeding nicely, but obviously things changed.
Kind of figured we'd interpret it differently. I think the reason why I put so much credence in Spielberg's announcement is that he even supposedly had plans for shooting Indy 5 on location (he had discussed filming in England). It's quite possible that Koepp's script had simply fallen into some way-too-last-minute issues following approval.
That's no matter, though. I'm starting to think that maybe a delay could help Indy get back on track and allow the machine to run perfectly without any delays. Even a few months (in my opinion) could help stabilize the franchise, as long as Lucasfilm allocates enough resources towards its success.

TheFirebird1

Also re: the GQ article. I thought Harrison looked pretty good--a lot better than he did in 2008. He can definitely pull off one more, but they can't keep on delaying it, or they'll have to relegate him into bookends.

Udvarnoky

I think the UK is intended to be the home base for INDY 5's production, as it was for the first three films. The soundstage work for the trilogy was shot at Elstree Studios. Shooting on stages in the UK would be a return to tradition and possibly cheaper - according to George Lucas, shooting the fourth movie in Los Angeles was actually more expensive than shooting overseas would have been.

I don't know if UK is necessarily where location shooting is going to take place, but it could certainly be involved.

TheFirebird1

Udvarnoky said:
I think the UK is intended to be the home base for Indy 5's production, as it was for the first three films. The soundstage work for the trilogy was shot at Elstree Studios. I don't know if UK is necessarily where location shooting is going to take place, but it could certainly be involved.
It'll be nice to see Spielberg and co. abroad, especially since they were practically stuck on the Western Hemisphere last time. I think this will shape up to be a pretty good flick, especially with Kasdan retooling Koepp's script.

Z dweller

TheFirebird1 said:
But where is Harrison's grand finale, though?
He had it with BR2049.

Ford has now reprised all three iconic characters which defined his career, and his peformances have been getting better along the way.
I'm not talking about box office results, only about the actor's performances and how they were received by critics and fans.

Ford was better as Solo in TFA than as Indy in KOTCS, and his star turn as Deckard in BR2049 topped it all.
I would go as far as saying that it was one of his best parts ever, thanks mostly to a great script.

It would take a miracle to improve on that performance in Indy 5 (if it ever happens with Ford) and there is a real risk it might end up seriously damaging his reputation.

He shouldn't do it, IMO.

TheFirebird1

Z dweller said:
He had it with BR2049.

Ford has now reprised all three iconic characters which defined his career, and his peformances have been getting better along the way.
I'm not talking about box office results, only about the actor's performances and how they were received by critics and fans.

Ford was better as Solo in TFA than as Indy in KOTCS, and his star turn as Deckard in BR2049 topped it all.
I would go as far as saying that it was one of his best parts ever, thanks mostly to a great script.

It would take a miracle to improve on that performance in Indy 5 (if it ever happens with Ford) and there is a real risk it might end up seriously damaging his reputation.

He shouldn't do it, IMO.
Point taken. I think that it would be borderline miraculous for him to exceed BR2049 (a fantastic performance).
I guess at this point I'm just really not sure. As I said before, I'm confident he'll end up in the film somehow--to what extent is uncertain. I think the problem is that his departure from two of his most important characters--Deckard and Solo--were a hell of a lot better than his presumed departure as Indy, and that needs to be rectified somehow.

deepermagic

My concern isn't that the movie won't be made, but that the 'creative differences' and constant director/writer changes we keep seeing crop up in Lucasfilms. It's apparent that the brass at Lucasfilms can't handle people who don't toe the line.

Solo technically had three directors fired, two working as a team; writers for The Force Awakens and Rogue One were replaced, Trevorrow was fired from directin Episode IX, and Gareth Edwards wasn't even trusted to finish out Rogue One so they brought in another writer/director to get the job done. And more than one of these has cited Kathleen Kennedy as the person they've clashed with, both, it seems on personal levels and ultimately on creative levels.

If the reports were true, that filming would happen next spring and scripts were finished and pre-production was in full swing, etc, and then now we have a new writer and it'll cause delays, then I think it's just par for the course with Kennedy and Lucasfilms. It's classic micromanaging.

The only SW movie that hasn't had a change in director/writer is The Last Jedi (tho Mark Hamill did publicly disagree with the script), and that's the worst of them all. It seems to me that the producers have a vision and anyone who doesn't bow the knee gets force choked. And if The Last Jedi is the result, well then, I think we can safely say their vision is blurred.

That's my biggest fear with Indy V. Not that it won't happen. But that the brass starts mucking with the story rendering the final result as either a sloppy mess (if people keep getting canned) or some kind of social justice agenda laden piece of crap.

The wildcard is Spielberg. Does he care enough to go to the mat over creative differences, or will he just toe the line?

Z dweller

TheFirebird1 said:
Point taken. I think that it would be borderline miraculous for him to exceed BR2049 (a fantastic performance).
I guess at this point I'm just really not sure. As I said before, I'm confident he'll end up in the film somehow--to what extent is uncertain. I think the problem is that his departure from two of his most important characters--Deckard and Solo--were a hell of a lot better than his presumed departure as Indy, and that needs to be rectified somehow.
I would argue that, at his age, his chances of pulling off of a memorable performance are much greater if his part in Indy 5 is shorter.

A brief, bookend style part might allow him to shine, if written well.
But the longer he's on screen, the harder that gets - simply because of the storytelling constraints imposed by his age.

Having said that, I'd much rather see a recast with a younger actor playing Indy in his prime.
And I suspect Disney are starting to lean that way with Indy 5.

TheFirebird1

Z dweller said:
Having said that, I'd much rather see a recast with a younger actor playing Indy in his prime.
And I suspect Disney are starting to lean that way with Indy 5.
I think if the film encounters any more unseen delays, this will most likely be the case. Either they'll get someone like Pratt, or a more no-namer like Anthony Ingruber. And I think either could work out very well.
At this point (for better or worse) Harrison is going to be Indy for this one, regardless of how it turns out. I just hope he gets a better finale.

Z dweller

deepermagic said:
The wildcard is Spielberg.
Spielberg was done with the Indiana Jones series in 1989.
And he's a very different person and movie director these day.

Let it go, Steven.

Udvarnoky

Again I am perplexed by this narrative that the movie's development is being choked by a committee of Lucasfilm micromanagers.

CRYSTAL SKULL was stalled for 19 years over creative differences between Ford, Spielberg and Lucas. They didn't need any help from Disney or the Lucasfilm Story Group; they constantly second-guessed and delayed the movie all by themselves. What is so hard to believe about the notion that it's happening again? Besides which, Spielberg is perpetually entertaining a dozen projects at a time. Who knows how much real focus he's given this project since it was announced.

TheFirebird1

deepermagic said:
The wildcard is Spielberg. Does he care enough to go to the mat over creative differences, or will he just toe the line?
I doubt they'll even consider getting rid of Spielberg, considering that he and Kathleen Kennedy have been friends for ages. Of course, your point about micromanaging is taken. There seems to be a lot of that going down at Lucasfilm these days, most notoriously with Solo.
However, we also don't know why Koepp was pushed out at this point. It could be a corporate thing (most likely) or maybe a more personal conflict between his and Spielberg's vision for the saga (similar to Lucas vs. Darabont back in 07). At this point, we're kind of stuck just waiting for developments.

Z dweller

TheFirebird1 said:
I think if the film encounters any more unseen delays, this will most likely be the case. Either they'll get someone like Pratt, or a more no-namer like Anthony Ingruber. And I think either could work out very well.
Personally, I'd prefer a little known actor to an established name with lots of baggage.
TheFirebird1 said:
At this point (for better or worse) Harrison is going to be Indy for this one, regardless of how it turns out.
That is by no means certain.
In fact the odds have just lenghtened considerably, in more ways than one.
Dude's gonna turn 76 in a couple of weeks...

Udvarnoky

Koepp could also have walked away from the project because he didn't have time anymore. He was signed to INDY 5 in March 2016. He has his own movies he wants to make.

It's entirely possible Spielberg wasn't happy with Koepp and wanted new blood. But it's also possible Koepp just couldn't fit another series of drafts into his schedule. I think after two years, he'd made whatever contribution he was capable of making to the project.