Cowboys & Aliens

kongisking said:
And yeah, I kinda cringe when I hear the word Indian used to describe NA's.

I usually have to correct myself when I wanna say "Indian"...mostly because where I work there are a lot of the other kind. Y'know..."feathers" vs "dots"...oops...the PC Police are at the door.

they already wanna bring me in for my thoughts on a black Moneypenny over on the Bond thread, dammit!:rolleyes:

and just to stay on topic, I feel as an Indian, having someone so not Indian as Olivia Wilde (I won't even buy half-breed on that one) would be a greater defamation than using the word "Indian"

Last edited:

Indy_Chic

featofstrength said:
Anyone else out there hear some people dimissing this movie like "Cowboys and Aliens? Really, Hollywood?" as if it's too far fetched or cheesey or unoriginal? Up theirs (y)

Yeah, I've been hearing people dismissing the movie too but I tell them not to be so quick to judge, I guess if the story wasn't as appealing enough to the main cast in the first place they wouldn't have signed on to do the film.

The Man said:
cowboys_and_aliens_promo_artwork119.jpg

Oh my, so much Daniel Craig in one thread...:eek:

JP Jones

featofstrength said:
I usually have to correct myself when I wanna say "Indian"...mostly because where I work there are a lot of the other kind. Y'know..."feathers" vs "dots"...oops...the PC Police are at the door.

they already wanna bring me in for my thoughts on a black Moneypenny over on the Bond thread, dammit!:rolleyes:

and just to stay on topic, I feel as an Indian, having someone so not Indian as Olivia Wilde (I won't even buy half-breed on that one) would be a greater defamation than using the word "Indian"
I would hate to see an old fashioned Western call the people Native Americans. It's the 1800s and should be treated as such. In the year 2011, I call someone who is native American "Native". To me it's like calling an African American person black.

BTW, I had good friends in high school who were native and black, just saying.

I always found it kind of stupid to take such offense at such a term and then replace it with "Native American," a name that's no better...maybe worse.

Originally published by Christina Berry

In the end, the term you choose to use (as an Indian or non-Indian) is your own personal choice. Very few Indians that I know care either way. The recommended method is to refer to a person by their tribe, if that information is known. The reason is that the Native peoples of North America are incredibly diverse. It would be like referring both a Romanian and an Irishman as European. . . . [W]henever possible an Indian would prefer to be called a Cherokee or a Lakota or whichever tribe they belong to. This shows respect because not only are you sensitive to the fact that the terms Indian, American Indian, and Native American are an over simplification of a diverse ethnicity, but you also show that you listened when they told what tribe they belonged to.

When you don't know the specific tribe simply use the term which you are most comfortable using. The worst that can happen is that someone might correct you and open the door for a thoughtful debate on the subject of political correctness and its impact on ethnic identity. What matters in the long run is not which term is used but the intention with which it is used.

Last edited:

Attila the Professor

Staff member
And, again, most old-style Westerns that actually are worth a damn would be much more likely to have Sioux or Comanche or Apache or Cheyenne or some other tribe name instead of saying "Indian" or "Injun." <I>The Searchers</I>, for example, has two instances of Indian actually being said, one in the phrase "Indian territory" and another by the intentionally ridiculous character Charlie McCorey, who mentions Martin's "Indian wife." Two instances of "Injun" from crazy old Mose Harper, one from Nesby (while they're out looking for the raiders), one from the note from Futterman (definitively a bad guy), and two from Ethan, notably in the scene where he starts shooting buffalo to destroy their food supply. And this in a movie that's <I>about</I> racism, that's the extent of the times it found either word necessary in its dialogue. Why? Well, at least in part because specificity is worthwhile, and doing without it looks ridiculous.

Edited to add: And it seems that Rocket beat me to the punch on this point.

Indy's brother

Yeah I saw this earlier today. I can't tell if it's my Indy fandom seeping in to my interest of this, or if it's possible that it truly deserves the attention I'm giving it in it's own right.

:confused:

In any case, I enjoyed the hell out of it.

Lance Quazar

This movie is looking better and better. I'm very excited.

However, I fear this one is going to fall through the cracks in an over-crowded summer movie season.

Two weeks after Harry Potter, only one week after Captain America. I don't think there is much widespread awareness or anticipation for this one and I think the title is turning off some people.

Which would be a shame.

Indy's brother

Lance Quazar said:
I think the title is turning off some people.

I'm sure you're right. It's a ridiculous title for a movie. The small percentage of filmgoers that can appreciate that it's the title of the source material would go to see this movie anyway, so I don't see the point.

Dr. Gonzo

Lance Quazar said:
I don't think there is much widespread awareness or anticipation for this one and I think the title is turning off some people.

Which would be a shame.
I was just thinking the same thing. I visited my family on the fourth of July and we got to talking about summer movies. When this came up most of the family thought it sounded stupid. I think it has potential to be a good concept and movie but titles can really win or lose these battles. I think based on the title more than a few are scoffing at this film.

Lance Quazar

The problem isn't that the title is "bad." The title is actually great.

But it's the title for a different movie. For a much sillier, broader, lighthearted movie.

Everything we have seen, heard and read about this particular film is that it's a serious, dark and "gritty" picture. Which is wonderful, don't get me wrong.

But "Cowboys and Aliens" sounds like it should be the spiritual and tonal cousin to something like "Men in Black."

You can't have a campy title for a decidedly non-campy film.

Forbidden Eye

Lance Quazar said:
This movie is looking better and better. I'm very excited.

However, I fear this one is going to fall through the cracks in an over-crowded summer movie season.

Two weeks after Harry Potter, only one week after Captain America. I don't think there is much widespread awareness or anticipation for this one and I think the title is turning off some people.

Which would be a shame.

If this film is as well-reviewed as the original Iron Man was, word-of-mouth will easily carry this film through August if not September to near $300 million.

I really don't expect much from Captain America(look at Green Lantern). Harry Potter could be a problem, considering how hyped this one is as being the final installment, but the thing is there's already 7 HP films out, ignoring die-hard Potter fans, many people will either stay home instead of repeat viewings or miss it altogether. Cowboys and Aliens, on the other hand, looks like a breath of fresh air, especially is what seems to be the most disappointing summer yet. This could be a big success on the likes of Pirates of the Caribbean: The Curse of the Black Pearl.

Lance Quazar

Forbidden Eye said:
If this film is as well-reviewed as the original Iron Man was, word-of-mouth will easily carry this film through August if not September to near $300 million.

I really don't expect much from Captain America(look at Green Lantern). Harry Potter could be a problem, considering how hyped this one is as being the final installment, but the thing is there's already 7 HP films out, ignoring die-hard Potter fans, many people will either stay home instead of repeat viewings or miss it altogether. Cowboys and Aliens, on the other hand, looks like a breath of fresh air, especially is what seems to be the most disappointing summer yet. This could be a big success on the likes of Pirates of the Caribbean: The Curse of the Black Pearl.

I don't agree with any of this. HP is already breaking records and it's not even out until midnight. It is going to be a tsunami.

Captain America will (hopefully) be great. Green Lantern was always going to be a dud.

Movies don't "find audiences" anymore. Word of mouth counts for almost nothing. Movies open quickly and burn out.

There is so much competition that Cowboys and Aliens stands the best chance of being lost in the shuffle. Even the Smurfs (god help us) will be a hit with the family crowd.

Forbidden Eye

Lance Quazar said:
I don't agree with any of this. HP is already breaking records and it's not even out until midnight. It is going to be a tsunami.

Captain America will (hopefully) be great. Green Lantern was always going to be a dud.

Movies don't "find audiences" anymore. Word of mouth counts for almost nothing. Movies open quickly and burn out.

There is so much competition that Cowboys and Aliens stands the best chance of being lost in the shuffle. Even the Smurfs (god help us) will be a hit with the family crowd.

HP films always do well opening weekend, and then they quickly die. So midnight showings don't mean much. None of the Harry Potter films have even beaten the first one yet(which is pretty bad considering inflation).

Inception found an audience last year, and all it had going for it was the advertised fact it was from the director of The Dark Knight(and maybe DiCaprio). That is similar to how Cowboys and Aliens is being hyped up as from the director of Iron Man. Unlike Inception which was a total original concept, this is based on a comic book so there will be some admirers that will show up.

Not saying Cowboys and Alien will be as well-received as Inception was, but I don't see it doing worse than Captain America(which Joe Johnson's resume suggests) and see it drawing people if just for an interesting concept that stars Craig and Ford.

Last edited:

|ZiR|

I am excited about the film, but will probably wait for NETFLIX. You know, it's so strange to reread the beginning of this thread! R.D.Jr. was in talks for the role originally! What a different film that would have been.

None of the Harry Potter films have even beaten the first one yet(which is pretty bad considering inflation).

Could you give some context, or better yet a cite?