Ark burns US warehouse crate?

Pale Horse said:
'Cause area 51 still exists today, despite countless tests in the Nevada Desert :confused:

Ahhhh, Area 51...but does WAREHOUSE 51? I guess if we can assume it does we can also assume it was wiped clean by the wrath of Ike, (and maybe rebuilt!).

oki9Sedo

Rocket Surgeon said:
I agree the blast was no accident..."closed for weapons testing". I don't know that it's so obvious, maybe it served a dual purpose and got rid of stuff they didn't know what to do with and/or didn't want to fall into someone else's hands.

Why is it obvious?

Because there are personnel on Area 51 when the Russians arrive.

Also I'm pretty sure its Area 51 they're in when the FBI agents are interrogating Indy.

Indy's brother

Rocket Surgeon said:
Ahhhh, Area 51...but does WAREHOUSE 51? I guess if we can assume it does we can also assume it was wiped clean by the wrath of Ike, (and maybe rebuilt!).

I don't think that the warehouse or any portion of the base was wiped out. It seems implied that Indy is interrogated at the same base after the blast, and it is made obvious from the full shot of Doom Town that the blast was set up in an isolated place. I think if the gov't wanted to dispose of it's secrets, they wouldn't have to resort to such drastic and Rube Goldberg lengths to do so.

But, you are correct with the "warehouse 51" comment. The sign in front of the base also says "Area 18". (instead of the other way around--""Area 51" and "Hangar 18")

nitzsche

The rocket sled took Indy and Dovchenko far out into the desert. Then Indy walked miles to get to Doom Town. Indy was taken back to the base later.

Indy's brother said:
I don't think that the warehouse or any portion of the base was wiped out.
I don't either

Indy's brother said:
It seems implied that Indy is interrogated at the same base after the blast, and it is made obvious from the full shot of Doom Town that the blast was set up in an isolated place. I think if the gov't wanted to dispose of it's secrets, they wouldn't have to resort to such drastic and Rube Goldberg lengths to do so.

Dropping a bomb on something seems pretty uncomplicated to me, but do you think you COULD blow up the ark?

Indy's brother said:
But, you are correct with the "warehouse 51" comment. The sign in front of the base also says "Area 18". (instead of the other way around--""Area 51" and "Hangar 18")

:confused:

3307634710_1d2806817e.jpg

Indy's brother

Rocket Surgeon said:

I could be wrong, but I could've sworn that's what I saw. I'll have to rewatch it later tonight to confirm. Perhaps my old age and years of brain deteriorating budweiser are finally beginning to catch up with me?

Indy's brother

As man of my word, Rocket Surgeon, I just checked and you were right. I was unable to find the number 18 anywhere. Anyway, I think you know what I meant when I said you were right. Area 51 is not in KOTCS. Hangar 51 is. Maybe the fictitious "Hangar 51" led my subconscious to fill in the next logical juxtaposition of an "Area 18". Or, maybe I'm on crack.

Rocket Surgeon said:
Dropping a bomb on something seems pretty uncomplicated to me, but do you think you COULD blow up the ark?

Dropping an atomic bomb isn't exactly brain surgery, but it's not like lobbing a grenade, either. What I was reffering to was constructing a fully functioning city, and an atomic bomb, and detonating it, destroying the town, and a specific part of a military installation--all to clean out the garage? It seems a bit far fetched. Even for KOTCS. Why not burn it instead? Or take it all out to sea and sink it?

And do I think I could blow up the ark? I'm bored enough to try, bring it on over.

Last edited:
Indy's brother said:
As man of my word, Rocket Surgeon, I just checked and you were right. I was unable to find the number 18 anywhere. Anyway, I think you know what I meant when I said you were right. Area 51 is not in KOTCS. Hangar 51 is. Maybe the fictitious "Hangar 51" led my subconscious to fill in the next logical juxtaposition of an "Area 18". Or, maybe I'm on crack.

With all the talk on this thread inparticular, you never know...maybe you had some "special edition, re-uncut, insiders restored who knows what"...it's all in good fun anyway,(but those budweisersgogreat with a few pounds of steamed spiced shrimp! Damn! It's Ash Wednesday!

Indy's brother said:
Dropping an atomic bomb isn't exactly brain surgery, but it's not like lobbing a grenade, either. What I was reffering to was constructing a fully functioning city, and an atomic bomb, and detonating it, destroying the town, and a specific part of a military installation--all to clean out the garage? It seems a bit far fetched. Even for KOTCS. Why not burn it instead? Or take it all out to sea and sink it?

Two birds,one really big stone, totally hypothetical anyway,(aswithmuch ontheboards See: Finn's Ficticious Interviews)Connery's Toupe,(the member) gives me a laugh, haven't read enough to know if he's serious yet!

Indy's brother said:
And do I think I could blow up the ark? I'm bored enough to try, bring it on over.

Heh heh...WHAT'S YOUR ADDRESS! Heh heh heh, (wringinghands):dead:

Pale Horse

Staff member
Rocket Surgeon said:
What exactly IS the light source inside that crate?

Sean Smith
Larry J. Richardson
Jim Richards
Chris Milani
Michael Gallart
David Devlin

With Robert Baumgartner as the chief second unit technician.
per the credits under lighting

Pale Horse said:
Sean Smith
Larry J. Richardson Jim Richards Chris Milani Michael Gallart David Devlin
With Robert Baumgartner as the chief second unit technician.
per the credits under lighting

Hmmm, thanks I think. Uh, I was thinking more along the lines of intent then design, form, not function...story wise not production wise.

But I'm sure you knew that...

Dr.Jonesy

Attila the Professor said:
There's also quite a bit of light when they first uncover the thing in the Well of Souls.

In the whole series there's light in temples that should be dark as hell.

-Well of the Souls
-Petra/Grail Temple
-Akator, Alien chamber
-Catacombs (Even when he didn't have the torch)

That's always bugged me...

;)

Mephisto

Dr.Jonesy said:
In the whole series there's light in temples that should be dark as hell.

-Well of the Souls
-Petra/Grail Temple
-Akator, Alien chamber
-Catacombs (Even when he didn't have the torch)

That's always bugged me...

;)

I've thought the same. It never really bugged me though. It was more done so you could actually see what was happening on screen.

Indy's brother

Mephisto said:
I've thought the same. It never really bugged me though. It was more done so you could actually see what was happening on screen.

Yeah, I go back and forth on that, too. Of course, I end up in the same place with it every time: You've got to be able to see what's happening.

Toht's Arm

It doesn't bother me in Indy so much. The only time that fake 'movie darkness' has bothered me is in 28 Weeks Later. There's a sequence in an abandoned subway station which initially requires the characters to use nightvision to be able to see what's going on. When they lose that, suddenly it becomes bright enough for everyone to see, and changes to the usual movie darkness.

Consistency is all that matters really...

russds

Colonel Vogel said:
The scene is on the Region 4 Australian DVD. :cool: The Aussie DVD's are great, nothing has been changed from the original trilogy apart from removing the snake's reflection in Raiders. :D

I love stuff like this. Did anybody happen to confirm that it is (or is not) on this DVD? This seems relatively easy to confirm these days, and my guess is it's probably not on the DVD, otherwise it would have been out there and confirmed. Some googling didn't find anything concrete but only similar threads on other forums. I see the DVD is available on eBay http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Indiana-Jones-and-Raiders-Lost-Ark-R4-Brand-new-Dvd-/380407624098?pt=AU_Movies_Movies_TV_Shows&hash=item58920fb1a2#ht_1927wt_798

Violet

Moderator Emeritus
russds said:
I love stuff like this. Did anybody happen to confirm that it is (or is not) on this DVD? This seems relatively easy to confirm these days, and my guess is it's probably not on the DVD, otherwise it would have been out there and confirmed. Some googling didn't find anything concrete but only similar threads on other forums. I see the DVD is available on eBay http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Indiana-Jones-and-Raiders-Lost-Ark-R4-Brand-new-Dvd-/380407624098?pt=AU_Movies_Movies_TV_Shows&hash=item58920fb1a2#ht_1927wt_798

I can confirm that it is baloney (at least on the 2003 DVD Region 4 version of Raiders). I just had a quick look at it before I posted this. The DVD you're looking at is the 2008 version- I doubt there would be that scene difference considering the last time the films got a proper restore prior to the blurays coming was 2003- all that was new from the 2005 dvd's were the bonus features that were "never before seen" or "rarely seen."

If anyone needs further proof, I'll get it up on Youtube.