KotCS: Homages, Similarities, and References

Stoo

"The Real Glory" (1939), has an American soldier in the 1906 Philippines getting buried up to his neck and eaten alive by an army of ants. This shares similarities with "The Naked Jungle" and "Kingdom of the Crystal Skull".

The producers of the film acquired 200,000 ants to shoot the scene. In the North American version, a dummy human was used but the foreign version used a live actor!:eek: Some prints do not include this horrific sequence at all, which is quite a shame.(n)

Indy also gets buried up to his head (but attacked by crabs) in Marvel's "The Sea Butchers".

Darth Vile said:
Yep - it's a great little Hammer movie. I'd recommend it to anyone interested in 1950's British horror/sci fi.
Indeed. "Skull" fans should really check this out.

Indy's brother

Re: Quatermass and The Pit/5 Million years to Earth

Stoo said:
Indeed. "Skull" fans should really check this out.

Well it's not available to stream on Netflix, but not everyone has that anyway. However, if you own a "computer" and have access to the "internet" (and I'm guessing everyone here has both ;) ) You can watch the whole thing for free right here.....like I'm doing right now!!! :D

Montana Smith

The Groundhog as symbolic of repetition

073.jpg

Are the groundhogs in KOTCS a conscious symbol of Indy's Groundhog Day? An ironic nod to self-referentiality?

Familiar events and situations recur from earlier adventures. Indy is being re-introduced to both a new and an old audience simultaneously.

For the old this is a groundhog day.

For the new they're just cute critters.

Moedred

Administrator
Staff member
Joe Brody said:
Hint at some dark demise for the kids in the jalopy (instead of them driving off blissfully down the road) and you set a whole new tone for the film. Instead of a joy ride you get something ominous. Man, KOTCS had great potential.

(and with regard to Mr. Stanton, "The life of a repo man is always intense.")
Repo Man plays like a strange sequel to KotCS: the MacGuffin is a 1964 Chevy Malibu from Roswell which flies away in the end.

This might be where Lucas gets his ideas, from some guy down by the river...

Montana Smith

Fred Welker, the original voice of Fred Jones in Scooby Doo since 1969, and later for Scooby himself, was an uncredited voice artist in Raiders of the Ark. So I made a search for any connections between Scooby and Indy.

There's a YouTube video of The New Scooby-Doo Mysteries' episode 'Ghosts of the Ancient Astronauts', originally aired on 13th October 1984, which the poster suggests as one of the inspirations for KOTCS. The snake montage may also add credence to the Indy connection.

As an aside, The Frank Welker Homepage has a video in which Frank does all the voices and sound effects for a classic scene from ROTLA.

Montana Smith said:
Fred Welker, the original voice of Fred Jones in Scooby Doo since 1969,

<object style="height: 390px; width: 640px"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/c-f6tsnY3SM?version=3"><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always"><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/c-f6tsnY3SM?version=3" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" allowScriptAccess="always" width="640" height="360"></object>

GOOD DOPE?!

Some funny lines...but he can't escape that "Freddy" voice!:)

Should have gone the whole rehab route, after "monkey on my back" he could have substituted addictions..."Wine, that should help...

Montana Smith

Rocket Surgeon said:
GOOD DOPE?!

Some funny lines...but he can't escape that "Freddy" voice!:)

Should have gone the whole rehab route, after "monkey on my back" he could have substituted addictions..."Wine, that should help...

Best line: "You, too, fatso, over here." (!)

Stoo

Montana Smith said:
There's a YouTube video of The New Scooby-Doo Mysteries' episode 'Ghosts of the Ancient Astronauts', originally aired on 13th October 1984, which the poster suggests as one of the inspirations for KOTCS. The snake montage may also add credence to the Indy connection.
Some similarties, for sure, but an 'inspiration'? Doubt it. (Unless George was plopped on his couch with his 3 year old daughter one Saturday morning in '84, stuffing his face with Froot Loops.)

The tune that Scoobs is playing on the horn is, "Little Brown Jug".
Montana Smith said:
As an aside, The Frank Welker Homepage has a video in which Frank does all the voices and sound effects for a classic scene from ROTLA.
HYSTERICAL! Thanks for posting that, Smiffy, because it's one of the funniest things I've seen quite awhile.(y) It's a keeper! Would love to see Welker do the entire film.
Montana Smith said:
Best line: "You, too, fatso, over here." (!)
That was a good one but I also like when Sallah says, "You have to speak English."

Montana Smith

Stoo said:
Some similarties, for sure, but an 'inspiration'? Doubt it. (Unless George was plopped on his couch with his 3 year old daughter one Saturday morning in '84, stuffing his face with Froot Loops.)

I agree. I was really trying to sneak Scooby in under the radar! :D

(During my brief search for Scooby/Indy I did notice one forum debating whether or not Indy was Scooby! :rolleyes: )

Stoo said:
HYSTERICAL! Thanks for posting that, Smiffy, because it's one of the funniest things I've seen quite awhile.(y) It's a keeper! Would love to see Welker do the entire film.

My thoughts exactly. It was a shame when the clip came to an abrupt end.

The monkey was hilarious as well.

(But for a very tenuous Scooby connection, I've derailed the thread!)

:hat:

Montana Smith said:
But for a very tenuous Scooby connection, I've derailed the thread!:hat:
Or, depending on where you sit, breathed life into it...

Though I won't watch the Scooby clip just on principle alone...

Stoo

@Rocket: It may not be good ol' 1969-1971 Scooby but it wouldn't hurt to watch the clip. Though your consitution is to be admired.;)

@Montana Smiffy: Not to derail the thread any further but I wonder what Welker did as a voice artist for "Raiders".:confused: There is another tenuous Scooby/Indy connection but it has nothing to do with "Crystal Skull".

Stoo said:
@Rocket: It may not be good ol' 1969-1971 Scooby but it wouldn't hurt to watch the clip. Though your consitution is to be admired.;)

@Montana Smiffy: Not to derail the thread any further but I wonder what Welker did as a voice artist for "Raiders".:confused: There is another tenuous Scooby/Indy connection but it has nothing to do with "Crystal Skull".

Crappy Doo in the still is enough to run away!

I'd be surprised to hear you didn't know he did the monkey squeals and squeaks.

Stoo

Ugh! Yeah, Scrappy Doo is a real turn-off.:sick:

No, I didn't know that Welker did the monkey squeaks. Learn something new everyday, eh?:hat:

Montana Smith

Stoo said:

Rocket Surgeon said:
I'd be surprised to hear you didn't know he did the monkey squeals and squeaks.

Stoo said:
No, I didn't know that Welker did the monkey squeaks. Learn something new everyday, eh?

I was pondering that question as well, of course. I searched the net without finding any mention of Welker's specific voice work in Raiders.

Where did you read that Rocket? Have you any more beans to spill on the subject?

Montana Smith said:
I was pondering that question as well, of course. I searched the net without finding any mention of Welker's specific voice work in Raiders.

Where did you read that Rocket? Have you any more beans to spill on the subject?
Courtesy your new brother...JJ:

'bout forty seconds in...

If you listened to the Indy Cast...;)

Montana Smith

On-topic, and still Scooby:

For some Mutt is an homage to Scrappy-Doo. At his worst he threatens to replace Indy in the future.

tv tropes said:
Popular characters have fandoms. But sometimes, there is a character who has a hatedom. We'll call this guy The Scrappy. While much usually depends on execution, certain kinds of characters have a much higher probability of being hated:

The Suspiciously Similar Substitute will undoubtedly be hated by fans of the beloved character they replace.

This is a very subjective trope, more based on the fandom than the character itself. The visceral response to The Scrappy can baffle other fans who don't take the character as seriously, or even sympathize with him or her.

http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/TheScrappy

Stoo

Rocket Surgeon said:
Courtesy your new brother...JJ
...And Junior Jones (Phil)* if you come through you're gonna have yourself a Scooby Snack!
That's a FACT!
We can count on you, Scooby Doo.
We know you'll catch that villain.;)

*The original Junior Jones (WITH a space in his user name).
Montana Smith said:
For some Mutt is an homage to Scrappy-Doo. At his worst he threatens to replace Indy in the future.
Scrappy Doo is off the hook since he is from 1979. Mutt also bears a similarity to the earlier, Bat Mutt/Mite from "The New Adventures of Batman" cartoon (1977). Take that, Batman dorks!:whip:

nabm.jpg

Montana Smith

Stoo said:
Scrappy Doo is off the hook since he is from 1979. Mutt also bears a similarity to the earlier, Bat Mutt/Mite from "The New Adventures of Batman" cartoon (1977). Take that, Batman dorks!:whip:

nabm.jpg

tv tropes said:
Anachronism Stew: "Bat-Mite Presents: Batman's Strangest Cases!" has for the Scooby Doo crossover the Scooby Gang of the "New Scooby Doo Movies" (circa 1972-1974), with the action of the 60s Batman series (Batman and Robin punching the Joker and Penguin, with Scooby and Shaggy getting a magical courage boost and joining in), and "Weird Al" Yankovic with his looks since the late 90's (until then, Al usually had his mustache on). All of this was due to Bat-Mite using his reality-warping powers.

However, in the popular consciousness Scrappy has overshadowed Bat-Mite.

tv tropes said:
The Scrappy: Film...Mutt from Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull achieves this status for being Indy's son and at least partly for being played by X-Pac Heat victim Shia LaBeouf.

◦ Shia LeBeouf often falls victim to this, being cast in unlikeable roles that fans feel are detrimental to franchises in general. Another example would be the Transformers films. This is mostly the writers' faults, though.

◦ YMMV because both Sam Witwicky, and Mutt HAVE fans. In fact some have enough to rival the haters in size. I guess it's a case of Love It or Hate It/ Broken Base.

■ Really, almost any character introduced in Crystal Skull is likely to be hated for no other reason than appearing in Crystal Skull.

tv trope said:
"Heat" is a term used in Professional Wrestling to describe any reaction to a wrestler and his gimmick/character. Face and heel heat can make or break a character, while not getting any heat is the Kiss of Death in the industry.

Then there's X-Pac Heat. This is when the audience boos and insults a wrestler not because they hate the character, but because they hate the performer. It can be because they've been pushed too hard, they have political power behind the scenes, or because they're terrible performers. For wrestlers, this often refers to guys who have poor matches (or actively wreck the pushes of others) and become overexposed despite crowds not caring for them one way or the other (either as heroes or as villains). Distinct from a heel (a villain who fans want to see get punished) ? fans want an X-Pac out of sight and out of mind. It's a very specific form of breaking Kayfabe by the fans and happens to be quite rare. For other forms of media, it applies to actors/performers that are perceived as awful.

In current terminology, it may be more correct to replace 'Scrappy' with 'Jar Jar' as a symbol of something being rotten in the state of Denmark.