Uncharted: The Games

emtiem

It is funny that the third Indy movie kicks off with a flashback to when our hero was young, and the third Uncharted game.... :)

Le Saboteur

This is me. Have I really put in seventy hours already into the multi-player? Geesh. I do wish they'd include my total number of idol captures -- I'm very close to 500 now without boosters.

rdbell25.png

Part Two on the Behind the Scenes of Uncharted 3 is up. This time Nolan North & Emily Fisher discuss the relationship between Drake & Elena. No spoilers. All general chatter.

The Drifter said:
Here's a fun little link that I found.

Definitely amusing. I'd say that the entire article is reaching; a scene in an outdoor cafe hardly makes Inception an inspiration for Drake's Deception. The scene in question is much closer in spirit and tone to where Major Strasser meets Rick Blaine for the first time.

Image51wereveryhonored.jpg

I'd like to say more, but I don't want to spoil anybody's game yet.

Ska

Played for a few hours last night. Made it into the Chateau (chapter 6) and am at a few minutes over 3 hours total play time.

The walk through the forest to the Chateau was just gorgeous. The sunlight peaking through the trees...all the leaves and stones on the ground...the stream...the waterfalls...just beautiful. Naughty Dog continues to blow me away. I can never get enough of their water effects. Hell I was amazed with the water in Crash Bandicoot on the original PS.

Just checked my treasures, and I've only missed one so far in chapter 2 (I'm up to 24 total). I have a feeling it's down the street before you tail Sully through the butcher shop. I'm assuming ND didn't create that fairly large dead end street for nothing. I looked around for the flash, but never found it and moved on.

Le Saboteur

While we wait for the release of Golden Abyss and continue our way through Drake's Deception, there's tonnes more out there in the way of press to go through.

The UK edition of the Official Playstation Magazine has an interview (even though a one minute chat does not an interview make) where he talks about the future of the series.

<param name="bgcolor" value="#FFFFFF" /><param name="flashVars" value="videoId=1244932012001&linkBaseURL=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.officialplaystationmagazine.co.uk%2F2011%2F10%2F28%2Funcharted-4-naughty-dog-ps3%2F&playerID=1195874964001&playerKey=AQ~~,AAABCTwHUXE~,FQEq-4a_8N54OvYG8rA9CGjbTDNT-eJE&domain=embed&dynamicStreaming=true" /><param name="base" value="http://admin.brightcove.com" /><param name="seamlesstabbing" value="false" /><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true" /><param name="swLiveConnect" value="true" /><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always" /><embed src="http://c.brightcove.com/services/viewer/federated_f9?isVid=1&isUI=1" bgcolor="#FFFFFF" flashVars="videoId=1244932012001&linkBaseURL=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.officialplaystationmagazine.co.uk%2F2011%2F10%2F28%2Funcharted-4-naughty-dog-ps3%2F&playerID=1195874964001&playerKey=AQ~~,AAABCTwHUXE~,FQEq-4a_8N54OvYG8rA9CGjbTDNT-eJE&domain=embed&dynamicStreaming=true" base="http://admin.brightcove.com" name="flashObj" width="610" height="343" seamlesstabbing="false" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowFullScreen="true" allowScriptAccess="always" swLiveConnect="true" pluginspage="http://www.macromedia.com/shockwave/download/index.cgi?P1_Prod_Version=ShockwaveFlash"></embed></object>

Check out the other clips over here.

In one of them, Justin Richmond talks about the forthcoming Golden Abyss. And while he doesn't officially say Sully is in the game, he does mention that Bend Studios did use Nolan North & Richard McGonagle! So there's some good news!

emtiem

What's Golden Abyss?

I wish all the characters would stop trying to convince Drake to stop going after whatever treasure he's hunting. Feels like every bloody cut scene for the last two games has had his mates droning on at him to quit. I like these games but I'm not sure they ever got the tone right: they try to be serious and gritty where it really doesn't work. If you treat this stuff seriously it's hard not to notice that Drake is a mass murderer.

With Indy plots they always ensure he's out to save a friend rather than just retrieve a treasure; hence no-one tries to tell him 'it's not worth it'.

WitAndAWhip

emtiem said:
If you treat this stuff seriously it's hard not to notice that Drake is a mass murderer.
Aren't you the one pullin the trigger? :) :gun:

emtiem said:
With Indy plots they always ensure he's out to save a friend rather than just retrieve a treasure; hence no-one tries to tell him 'it's not worth it'.
I don't see their motivations as being that different. For Drake it's usually more about unraveling a mystery with potentially devastating implications than just finding treasure. At least, the reasons that he sees the quests through are generally unselfish and even heroic.

emtiem

Eventually, but it seems we always have to endure these 'give it up Nate, it's not worth it' scenes.

Le Saboteur

emtiem said:
What's Golden Abyss?

See here.

emtiem said:
I wish all the characters would stop trying to convince Drake to stop going after whatever treasure he's hunting. Feels like every bloody cut scene for the last two games has had his mates droning on at him to quit.

If I remember correctly, it was Drake who wanted to quit in Among Thieves & Drake's Fortune. He had to be coerced by Chloe, Elena, Sully, & Schaeffer at various times. Not until this third outing was Drake self-propelled.

If anybody's interested, there's a new article up on Uncharted's Heritage at Gamasutra.

Gamasutra said:
The team also re-imagined ways to bring color and drama to action sequences by investing the player with agency. For example, in a scene of Uncharted when Drake has to cross a waterfall by journeying across tall pillars, the team wanted to elevate the drama by adding an explosion - but rather than make it an automatic sequence, they instead implemented an enemy firing. Engaging with the enemy would cause the explosion that would create the desired color as well as an environmental bridge forward, and just putting that task in the player's hand creates a greater sense of investment.

In other news, Sony is confirming Launch Day sales. Total sales: 3.8 million copies!! It took Among Thieves a month to break one million!

IGN said:
Despite some confusion this morning about whether the number represented units shipped or units sold, Sony has now confirmed to IGN that Uncharted 3: Drake's Deception sold 3.8 million copies worldwide on its first day in stores.

"Article" here.

Hello Uncharted 4.

Here's another Behind the Scenes video regarding the historical inspiration.

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/dlyBmtJWH2w" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

emtiem

Le Saboteur said:
If I remember correctly, it was Drake who wanted to quit in Among Thieves & Drake's Fortune. He had to be coerced by Chloe, Elena, Sully, & Schaeffer at various times. Not until this third outing was Drake self-propelled.

I'm not sure that's true about Among Thieves.

WitAndAWhip

emtiem said:
I'm not sure that's true about Among Thieves.
After Drake recovers in Tibet he basically gives up hope and is ready to turn back until Schaefer and Elena convince him to continue on in order to stop Lazarevic.

emtiem

Okay; I forget. Either way, seems like there's always someone whining at someone else in these scenes. They are getting a bit tiresome.

And can someone explain why the pirate ship stuff happens in this game? I can't work out how Drake gets there or what their connection with the main baddies is. It just... happens.

Le Saboteur

It doesn't come "out of nowhere" but it is a.) definitely not set up well and b.) rather unnecessary. I suspect that it was longer in an earlier inception, but was trimmed and condensed late into the development cycle.

While I have no direct evidence, comments like "we didn't even know Chloe & Elena were in the game until six months ago" lead me to that opinion. It's rather unfortunate, too. All three characters -- Rameses especially -- were short shrifted.

Given my druthers this is how I would have set it up. We don't initially know that Rameses is with Marlowe until he acknowledges Drake. Instead, populate the cafe with a few more tables and people. Just off to the side, but not out of earshot is Rameses. After the necessary exposition, he reveals himself -- an opportunistic pirate out for Iram of the Pillars himself.

What follows is a furious gun battle between Drake, Marlowe's men, Rameses, and the Yemeni police. After a fashion a foot chase ensues, and you have to make it out of town before the law catches up, etc.

Ska

I've been noticing a few minor glitches the last few chapters. I had a big one in Chapter 6/7 (after Nate emerges from the cave/well and first sees the baddies) after a big gun fight. Got stuck in a wall and for the life of me, I could not get out. Had to redo the fight, which I barely made it through the first time.

Then in Chapter 8 (The Citadel) I found and shot down a treasure from high against a tower (in the large area right before reuniting with Chloe and Sully). Then after climbing the stairs and getting in the gun fight to reach the tower, I still saw the treasure flashing in the same spot (but from the higher view point). I tried and tried to reshoot it down, but it never fell. So I finally gave up and continued on to the tower. I finished the chapter and checked, and I had all 7 of the chapter's treasures. Weird.

I also had a few walls go missing when looking around for treasure (using up on the directional pad). And when I let go of up to move around, the wall would return. A few times I thought there was an opening in the wall, and would immediately begin to run to the wall, then the wall would reappear and Nate would run into it.

Sharkey

RedeemedChild said:
That looks good. Isn't Hughes the same gentleman who illustrated the Indiana Jones posters?
Moron. You say you're a big Indy and Star Warts fan and you don't even know who did the friggin posters! Hope it's warm in your cave or should I say planet.

Uncharted looks fun. Any black dudes in it?

Ska

Le Saboteur said:
Bastards. 'nuff said.

Just finished the campaign on Normal in a little over ten hours with 64 treasures discovered.

I'm such a lookie loo.

More to come later.

I'm just under 9 hours and I just started Chapter 11. Damn I'm a slow poke!

I'm starting to see the game's fights are getting harder and harder. I'm playing the game on Hard for the first time (in the Uncharted series). You really have to plan out your fighting positions.

Ska

Did anyone find the treasure in the Rub-al-Khali desert? Where could it even possibly be? You only manually walk for short periods at a time.

I'm in Chapter 19 (The Settlement) right now. 81 treasures found. 14 hours and 27 minutes of gameplay.

The fights are now a little frustratingly hard. It takes me at least 2-3 tries at each major battle to get through. The shotgun'ers with the heavy ammo are the worst.

Played a little online co-op last night. Played on hard with some high ranking people (and this was my first time playing online). We made it through 3 areas before losing all of our lives. It was fun, though.

There was a small update (33 mb) last night when i turned it on. Not sure what it was for.

JackBurton

Ska said:
Did anyone find the treasure in the Rub-al-Khali desert? Where could it even possibly be? You only manually walk for short periods at a time.

Shoot the jug at the well. The treasure is hidden inside.

Ska

JackBurton said:

Really?! I even walked around the well looking for the flash.

I don't feel so bad for missing it now. They never hid treasure in an object before. I guess I have to shoot every object now to make sure there's no treasure inside.

Like when they started hanging treasure to shoot down in Uncharted 2. It took me about 8 chapters to realize that I had to start looking up for the flash.

Le Saboteur

JackBurton said:

You don't have to shoot it. Just walk into it. The jug will fall over, and there's your bauble! Though, hiding treasures inside objects during the next go round would be a nice touch.

emtiem said:
What does collecting the treasures get you?

The pleasure of a job well done, a few trophies, and one step closer to earning that 100% completion rating.

I've been knee deep in idol for a while now, so there's a lot of news to catch up on. For now though, dig the new trailer for Golden Abyss! Note: The resolution isn't great and it's in Japanese.