Soundtracks?

InexorableTash

Of course. But the corollary is: if we didn't do the work, the official soundtracks wouldn't come out. Therefore, we must do it.

Stoo: Go ahead and rearrange the track listings in spreadsheets as you see fit!

fommes

InexorableTash said:
Of course. But the corollary is: if we didn't do the work, the official soundtracks wouldn't come out. Therefore, we must do it.
Somehow that totally makes sense! :)

Stoo: there's a "invert track" function in editing programmes, usually. I haven't tried it myself yet though; apparently (from the person doing the very few JW cues in Lego 2) it takes a lót of work, because you not only have to align it properly, you also have to find the loops in the SFX, etc. Considering the huge amount of Young Indy music in the games, it's an almost impossible undertaking I'd say.

Stoo

Custom ?barcelona? Track

Here is a version of the ?Scheherazade? medley which was made to duplicate the ballet segment. Synchronize and play it along with the DVD and you?ll find the beats are very, very close. The source music was performed at a faster tempo than the Young Indy soundtrack so the speed and pauses had to be adjusted accordingly. A bit tedious but it paid off even though it?s still not PERFECT. (I?m sure Laird is no stranger to things like this!)

http://rapidshare.com/files/376235513/Scheherazade_Medley.mp3

The music is taken from a performance by the Moscow Symphony live from The Hague (which I posted a clip of a couple of pages back) so there is, unfortunately, some coughing from the audience and a bit of level distortion near the beginning.

10 sections of the 45 minute piece condensed into 7mins.22secs. Some cuts are obvious, some are not. Breakdown of the different movements:

0:00-1:00 Movement 1 - The Sea and Sinbad?s Ship (Excerpt)
0:52-1:00 Movement 2 - The Kalendar Prince (Excerpt ? it?s also in Movement 1)
1:00-2:22 Movement 3 - The Young Prince and The Young Princess (Excerpt)
2:22-7:22 Movement 4 - Festival at Baghdad. The Sea. The Ship Breaks against a Cliff Surmounted by a Bronze Horseman (Medley of 7 sections)

?The Kalendar Prince? doesn?t really feature during the ballet but that might be because portions of it are used extensively throughout the rest of the show. Listen to the whole piece and you?ll hear all sorts of familiar cues. This video calls it, ?The Story of Prince Kalandar? and starts at 1:38.

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/zhBEvPD8DR8&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/zhBEvPD8DR8&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

MDew said:
You do realize that as soon as you finish all this work they're just going to come out with complete scores for all of them on CD, right? That's always how it works...
InexorableTash said:
Too funny, guys, and absolutely true!:D Anyway, we now have another 7+1/2 minutes of new music until they release the CDs!:p

Stoo

Over the past little while I did complete breakdowns for "Somme", "Germany" and "Verdun" on the spreadsheet. A few things worth noting...

The credits for the documentary on Vol. 1, Disc 9, Title 5, Chapter 7 is a longer version of the part when the German lancers are trotting toward the retreating Belgians in the "Somme" episode. I've called it "Lancers of Death".

You will not find "Remembering Verdun" nor the last minute of "Requiem" from the official soundtrack Vol. 1 on the DVD because they are the opening & closing bookends, respectively, from the TV broadcast version.

InexorableTash

I've been watching (I get email when the spreadsheet is edited). Excellent work!

I haven't had cycles to do anything lately; I hope to spend a few days here and there over the summer at least verifying Stoo's findings, maybe tackle the cues for an untouched episode here and there. Lil' Indy hasn't received the same benefit as Wartime Indy.

Stoo

Tash, hopefully you get an e-mail for one editing session and not every, single edit!:eek: I'm finally getting around to collating & naming everything properly and coverting all various .flacs and .oggs into .mp3. Tracks that come from for than one source are being split up and any unidentified bits 'n' bobs are going into an "Unknown" folder which will make them easier to go through later.

Lil' Indy actually got some attention yesterday since I discovered that some tracks from the official CD#1 for "Paris, 1916/Demons of Deception" are used as the Old Indy bookends to "Paris, 1908". "Parisian Stroll" is used in the opener and the last half of "Lover's Farewell" for the closer. ("Arrival in Paris" is also used in the episode.)

Chuck McKnight

Hello all. I'm completely new to this forum, and I'm just kind of jumping in to share a bit of info on the Young Indy soundtracks. I have not read all the way through this thread, but based on the searches I tried I don't think this has been brought up.

This concerns the music played in the Young Indy trailer that was placed at the beginning of some of the Indiana Jones VHS tapes. It took me several years of hunting to finally track down what that was, so I figure that info might be useful if anyone else was trying to find it.

The piece is called "Reach for the Stars" by Richard Harvey from his production music CD called Fantasia (no relation to the Disney Fantasia). It is a fantastic piece of music that I tend to consider to be as much a part of the Indiana Jones world as the official music, even though it was not actually written for Indiana Jones. The rest of the CD and its sequel are excellent as well.

The CDs, being production music, were never released to the public, but they pop up on eBay from time to time. I managed to acquire both Fantasia and Fantasia 2. I'm not exactly sure what the rules here are on this type of thing, so I hope I'm not breaking any, but suffice it to say that if you PM me, I'll help you get a hold of the music. Alternatively, you can listen to low-quality samples online at the following links:

http://www2.playkpmmusic.com/pages/viewcd/viewcd.cfm?cdnum=1926
http://www2.playkpmmusic.com/pages/viewcd/viewcd.cfm?cdnum=1527

I hope this is helpful. :hat:

Last edited:

lairdo

That's awesome to know and hear! I think I have heard those before, but never knew this was used in the trailer. Thanks for sharing.

Well done.

Laird

InexorableTash

Awesome - despite not having the tapes, this sounds very familiar.

It sounds like a mix between the Phantom Train soundtrack and John Williams' Superman score.

Heh... as I was typing this with the sample playing in another browser tab, my wife walked into the room and made a comment about the Superman score, assuming that's what I was listening to. :)

Chuck McKnight

Some other places you might have heard "Reach for the Stars" include the Disney Hercules trailer, The Incredibles Pringles advertisement, and I'm told there's a Star Trek DS9 commercial that uses it. I'm sure there are more places I don't know of.

Stoo

Chuck McKnight said:
Hello all. I'm completely new to this forum, and I'm just kind of jumping in to share a bit of info on the Young Indy soundtracks. I have not read all the way through this thread, but based on the searches I tried I don't think this has been brought up.

This concerns the music played in the Young Indy trailer that was placed at the beginning of some of the Indiana Jones VHS tapes. It took me several years of hunting to finally track down what that was, so I figure that info might be useful if anyone else was trying to find it.
First off: Welcome to The Raven, Chuck!:hat: Have fun reading this thread. It's a WHOPPER. Secondly, I have brought up the uniqueness of this music in another thread but never knew who did it.

Yes, this was used in the promo on the McDonald's VHS tapes. See: young indiana jones chronicles mcdonalds promo

Chuck McKnight said:
It is a fantastic piece of music that I tend to consider to be as much a part of the Indiana Jones world as the official music, even though it was not actually written for Indiana Jones
Agreed.:)
Chuck McKnight said:
I hope this is helpful. :hat:
You can bet your hat, it is! Thanks a lot!:hat: Another track to add to the collection & spreadsheet. Will send you a PM once I clean out my Inbox.

T.E.Lawrence

Chuck McKnight said:
Did anyone else still want this? Stoo and InexorableTash, I have not received PMs from either of you yet. Did you still want it?

Thank Chuck for the great info-source. Will contact you now.

Best Wishes

Stoo

@Chuck: Listening to the track right now. Nice. Thanks a million!:hat:

@T.E: Welcome back!

AnnieJones

I found two websites of a supposed volume 5 that I believe one,if not both(websites),are bootleg copies.I am not interested in these bootleg soundtracks,I just wanted to let people know that they are out there.So please be careful.

Last edited:

Stoo

The first website was put together by Inexorable Tash. The second is the work of MDew. (Both of who are participating in this thread.:))

Chuck McKnight

Great News! I found the other two pieces that play in the trailer.

They are "Super Hero" and "The Great Endeavour (a)" by Tony Hymas from Landscapes. Unfortunately, I can't provide high quality rips for these, but they are available to listen to from the Web, and they are easy enough to download with the DownloadHelper addon for Firefox.
http://www1.playkpmmusic.com/pages/viewcd/viewcd.cfm?cdnum=1903

I will be keeping an eye out for this on eBay now, and I'll let you all know if I manage to acquire it.

For now, since we have all the pieces, I went ahead and made an edit track for the music as it is heard in the trailer. Some of the edit spots don't sound all that great without the sound effects to cover it, but it's pretty accurate to how it is in the trailer.

Just PM me again if you'd like it. ;)

-Chuck

InexorableTash

YoungIndianaJonesMusic.com organizational question

Currently, on http://www.youngindianajonesmusic.com/cue-lists I have the details about what music is "available" organized by DVD. I started this way on both the GDoc spreadsheets and the site since the DVDs are (1) currently available and (2) the time indexes are consistent and unambiguous. In contrast, the broadcast episodes are unavailable to most, and the timings will be inconsistent (ad breaks, stretched VHS tapes, etc).

That said: the music was, for the most part, composed for the broadcast episodes. I don't know if any new music was recorded for the bridging segments (it is a re-use in the cases I can think of). This leads me to think that the site should use the broadcast episodes as the primary breakdown, and include DVD chapters and time indexes as secondary.

Thoughts?

And perhaps more importantly... what should the list be? Should we treat http://raven.theraider.net/showthread.php?t=19276 as consensus?

"The Curse of the Jackal" Egypt, May 1908 / Mexico, March 1916
London, May 1916
British East Africa, September 1909
Verdun, September 1916
German East Africa, December 1916 / Congo, January 1917
Austria, March 1917
"Trenches of Hell" Somme, Early August 1916 / Germany,Mid-August 1916
Barcelona, May 1917
"The Mystery of the Blues", Chicago, April-May 1920
Princeton, February 1916
Petrograd, July 1917
"The Scandal of 1920", New York, June-July 1920
Vienna, November 1908
Northern Italy, June 1918
"The Phantom Train of Doom", German East Africa, November 1916
Ireland, April 1916
Paris, September 1908
Peking, March 1910
Benares, January 1910
Paris, October 1916
Istanbul, September 1918
Paris, May 1919
"The Hollywood Follies", Hollywood, August 1920
"Treasure of the Peacock's Eye", London/Egypt/South Pacific, November 1919
"Attack of the Hawkmen", Ravenelle/Ahlhorn Germany, 1917
"Travels with Father", Russia/Athens 1910
Tangiers 1908
Florence, May 1908
Prague, August 1917
"Daredevils of the Desert", Palestine, October 1917
Morocco 1917
Transylvania,January 1918
Princeton 1919

(Thanks to Annie Jones and Stoo).

The desire would be a list of distinct compositional units, i.e. the composer sat down and wrote a score for one entry, even if it was broken up for broadcast with distinct bookends. I'm not sure we'll ever know that, unless we had production numbers. Also, I'm unsure of what ordering to use.

Thoughts?