Soundtracks?

Stoo

InexorableTash said:
Given your expertise in mashing up the covers (e.g. the Old Indy), do you think you could take a stab at creating a CD cover or two for our "Unreleased Tracks" collections? I'm thinking in the vein of the Vol 1 OST's cover - bold monochrome color overall, with the margins containing color cutouts, all given an "oil painting" filter.
Actually, the only soundtrack artwork that appears to be an oil painting is Volume 4. The others look like they were done with acrylics. But, yes, recreating the style of Matthew Peak's designs in the first 3 would be the ultimate plan.;)

Tash, your breakdown & running order looks great! You've organized them very nicely but I do have a few questions regarding these following tracks from "Daredevils":

-??? / Riding with Ned 1:07
-Gaza or Beersheba? 0:45

Are the question marks there because we haven't chosen a title or because those portions haven't been 100% identified?
InexorableTash said:
The lengths could use some tweaks, and each disc should have a title. Also, I've put some of MDew's tracks inline (e.g. "China Dreams") but not others (e.g. "The Man I Love"); they really should be in there but I'm rushed for time a the moment.
You think the extra volumes should have titles? The original didn't. Sticking with numbers would be best.

InexorableTash

Stoo said:
...recreating the style of Matthew Peak's designs in the first 3 would be the ultimate plan.

Agreed!

-??? / Riding with Ned 1:07
-Gaza or Beersheba? 0:45

Are the question marks there because we haven't chosen a title or because those portions haven't been 100% identified?

"??? / Riding with Ned"

Ah, that track should be left out, sorry. (I have it unchecked in iTunes.) It's the end credits from the My First Adventure DVD. It's got more of the T. E. Lawrence themes which are re-used in Daredevils, but IMHO we should save it for our hypothetical "Vol 0" (a collection of tracks from "Curse of the Jackal", like the "Pancho Villas Camp" track from Best of the West).

"Gaza or Beersheba?" is just the name of the track (it's a quote from the episode). My preference would be to actually include the quotation marks for tracks we've named with quotes.

You think the extra volumes should have titles? The original didn't. Sticking with numbers would be best.

Sorry, I was typing too fast. I meant: Perhaps every volume should have a title track akin to the YIJC title variations on Vol 1 and Vol 2. This didn't carry through to 3 or 4. I included one on "Vol 6", not sure about the other two. The holy grail is definitely McNeely's unused (and as yet unheard!) alternate title discussed earlier in this thread.

All that said, the opening tracks I listed above for "Vol 7" and "Vol 8" make good intros; "This Will Never Work" from Hawkmen is a gentle introduction that only teases at the bombastic themes to follow, and especially the lilting (and unused?) first 15 seconds, whereas "Assault on Gaza" opens things with a bang.

InexorableTash

Stoo - I noticed your finding that Paris, 1908 borrows tracks from Paris, 1916. Nifty! Copied to the site. I've also improved my workflow for updating the cue lists on the site so can make those updates more frequently. Any others I should refresh?

Stoo

InexorableTash said:
Sorry, I was typing too fast. I meant: Perhaps every volume should have a title track akin to the YIJC title variations on Vol 1 and Vol 2. This didn't carry through to 3 or 4. I included one on "Vol 6", not sure about the other two. The holy grail is definitely McNeely's unused (and as yet unheard!) alternate title discussed earlier in this thread.

All that said, the opening tracks I listed above for "Vol 7" and "Vol 8" make good intros; "This Will Never Work" from Hawkmen is a gentle introduction that only teases at the bombastic themes to follow, and especially the lilting (and unused?) first 15 seconds, whereas "Assault on Gaza" opens things with a bang.
Pesonally, I like the idea of starting each volume with the opening credits music. Afterall, there are *3* variations and, to me, it's fitting to start each volume with the theme (but that's just my opinion).

Yeah, McNeely's unused, alternate title theme...the Holy Grail, INDEED!

Thanks for the clarification on those "question mark" tracks, Tash. I can't think of anything else that needs refreshing at the moment but there WILL be an addition to include for Vol. 6: The music from the "Travels for Father" opening bookends that was cut from the DVD. (I'll be uploading those bookends to YouTube on March 4th and will create an audio file of the rare music at the same time. It might have a few sound effects but at least it's something 'new'.)

P.S. The improvement on the cover for Volume 0 is coming along very nicely...;)

Stoo

InexorableTash said:
Florence, 1908: Laurence Rosenthal
Attraction is a Law of Physics (Florence 1908) 1:23:00
Tash, the only track you have here is the end credits for "Perils of Cupid". It fits, however...

Don't forget to include the end credits for "Florence". (Provided by Fommes and T.E. Lawrence.)

It's one of my favourite pieces. Available music from this episode is RARE so don't let this NUGGET fall by the wayside!;)

InexorableTash

Stoo said:
Tash, the only track you have here is the end credits for "Perils of Cupid". It fits, however...

Yep - the end credits for little indy area bit mix and match.

Stoo said:
Don't forget to include the end credits for "Florence". (Provided by Fommes and T.E. Lawrence.)

Ah yes, I need to incorporate those into my play lists!

InexorableTash

In any case, the main themes of the covers should be:

Vol 6: Trenches of Hell, German East Africa 1916 / The Congo 1917
Vol 7: Attack of the Hawkmen, Austria 1917, Barcelona 1917
Vol 8: Daredevils of the Desert, Treasure of the Peacock's Eye

InexorableTash

It's sounding like a variation on the first part of the "Schweitzer Says Goodbye" track from the Vol. 2 soundtrack. (But after a few listens everything starts to blur together for me.)

Stoo

Dr.Jonesy said:
I still need to know what the song in this scene is! It's a composition piece but I'm not sure what it's called or who it's by.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Er7r39HujU
Jonesy, in this thread: Music question in Oganga!, you mentioned hearing a longer version of the piece on a classical music station. This, I don't doubt because there are some notes which sound vaguely familiar in what we're calling "Reverence For Life".

Like Tash and Attila suspect, it could very likely be a case of McNeely incorporating a melody from Bach into his own score (as was so often done with other classics throughout the series.)

My mother is a Bach lover so I can play the clip for her next time I get a chance (if nobody solves the mystery before that).

---
On a related note, I'm still trying to figure out what Schweitzer is playing on the piano when Indy is looking at the Bach books on the bookshelf. It's probably a Bach Piano Concerto but I can't play my Glenn Gould vinyl records to find out!:(

lairdo

Shameless plug...

Please check out the latest IndyCast where we look at and listen to the music of Young Indy in this 20th anniversary special.

Link Here

Demitasse

BRAVO!!! :hat:
Cheers Lairdo, Tash & Stoo! Great podcast. You guys made my day at work today! You brought the soundtracks thread to life. Stoo- LOVE your Montreal accent bro! And that was a great summation of the broadcast history of Young Indy. Knowing you, I'm tempted to believe you did that off the cuff, lol! Very interesting to hear tidbits like SPF hating Mata Hari's guts!

Question for lairdo-- forgive my ignorance of the process, but I was wondering- so McNeely or Rosenthal would compose their music, then send it out to European orchestras for recording and then have the finished recordings sent back to LA or wherever? Obviously I guess they could not supervise the recording personally in Europe? Wonder what happened to all that sheet music?! (We really need to get going on a Young Indy museum) ;)

Also wonder what kind of legal wrangling would be entailed for any kind of release of music created by union musicians!?

Guys- your enthusiasm for the music and the series is totally infectious. I have a mind to go on a serious bender, immersing myself in both. Thanks again!

Some of that music after the Young Indy theme in the intro was new to me.

P.S.- Can one of you guys hook me up with the 3 minute spliced version of Truck Biplane Escape?! Mine is only two minutes!

lairdo

Demitasse said:
Cheers Lairdo, Tash & Stoo! Great podcast. You guys made my day at work today! You brought the soundtracks thread to life.

Thanks! Glad you enjoyed it.

Demitasse said:
Very interesting to hear tidbits like SPF hating Mata Hari's guts!

I would say it was mutual, and actually the actress who played MH was probably the more demonstrative about it. SPF as far as I know was a gentlemen about it.

Demitasse said:
Question for lairdo-- forgive my ignorance of the process, but I was wondering- so McNeely or Rosenthal would compose their music, then send it out to European orchestras for recording and then have the finished recordings sent back to LA or wherever? Obviously I guess they could not supervise the recording personally in Europe? Wonder what happened to all that sheet music?! (We really need to get going on a Young Indy museum) ;

The music was recorded in bursts, so I do believe both composers went if they could. Occasionally a music editor would go. As for the sheet music, I suspect it was archived either at LF or in Europe at the recording studio. The only sheet music I saw was when we worked on Chicago 1920. We had to photocopy and assemble copies of the original truck chase to send to Joel in Europe for him to use as part of the recording of the 1950 sequences. But that's not really what you meant - that was more of a special one off because we had the original Raiders parts at the Ranch.

Demitasse said:
Also wonder what kind of legal wrangling would be entailed for any kind of release of music created by union musicians!?

My understanding is that the Unions are actually amenable to these releases in limited quantities. This is partly why you see so many smaller films and TV shows getting soundtrack releases. Basically, a few years ago the Unions came up with a small fee structure under the thought that some money for their members is better than none. If you collect soundtracks like I do, you are shelling out every few weeks for something these days between Intrada, LA LA Land, BSX and the outgoing FSM. Varese too.

Demitasse said:
Guys- your enthusiasm for the music and the series is totally infectious. I have a mind to go on a serious bender, immersing myself in both. Thanks again!

Some of that music after the Young Indy theme in the intro was new to me.

Thanks - it was fun to do, and we hope to do another show with more music.

Stoo

Demitasse said:
BRAVO!!! :hat:
Cheers Lairdo, Tash & Stoo! Great podcast. You guys made my day at work today! You brought the soundtracks thread to life. Stoo- LOVE your Montreal accent bro! And that was a great summation of the broadcast history of Young Indy. Knowing you, I'm tempted to believe you did that off the cuff, lol!
Thanks, Halfcup! Really pleased that you enjoyed the podcast so much and my hat goes off to Tash & Laird for setting it up.:hat: It was a lot of fun to do, though I must admit, the broadcast history part wasn't off the cuff. That was written, rehearsed & recorded separately at a later date.:eek: Laird-O edited it in a day before the special was uploaded.(y)

Like you, my girlfriend is from Ontario and she teases me about my accent all the time. I her tell that she's the one with an accent!
Demitasse said:
Good! Mission accomplished. Immerse yourself. 'Tis the 20th anniversary, afterall.:D
Demitasse said:
P.S.- Can one of you guys hook me up with the 3 minute spliced version of Truck Biplane Escape?! Mine is only two minutes!
If you still have my e-mail address, send me a message because I lost yours when my hard drive died recently. If not, PM me here at The Raven with your e-mail. I can then give you the track. (Awesome tune, isn't it?)

Note: Contrary to what was said on the podcast, "Truck Fight and Biplane Escape" was spliced toghether by our Belgian friend, fommes (not T.E. Lawrence) and named by InexorableTash (not me).

Since we played our top choice tracks on the podcast, what is everyone else's favourite?

lairdo

Stoo said:
Since we played our top choice tracks on the podcast, what is everyone else's favourite?

Good idea Stoo. Would be great to feature this thread's top list in our next broadcast.

And I'm glad for your "accent." I think our three voices are distinct enough to make listening easy to follow. Wasn't planned that way, but sometimes these things work out.

Nils Andersson

Great

Very interesting podcast! It's fun to see that Young Indiana Jones Chronicles is still alive. I looking forward to hear more of your podcasts.

By the way, my favorite music is the irish songs from Love's sweet song and of course the Bach, Jesu joy of man's desiring or "Jesus är min glädjes källa".

(y)

InexorableTash

Stoo said:
Note: Contrary to what was said on the podcast, "Truck Fight and Biplane Escape" was spliced toghether by our Belgian friend, fommes (not T.E. Lawrence) and named by InexorableTash (not me).

I still quibble about who named it, but thanks for the correction and my apologies - and continued gratitude - to fommes! As you could probably tell by listening I was suddenly wishing I'd done more research before the recording session when that track came up.

Regarding future episodes - I think we need to wait for Ed to let us know how it rated as far as downloads go. I got a definite bump in the number of daily visitors to my site, but it's still a meager number. (I don't care, it's a labor of love!) We had discussed an intro/20th anniversary episode, followed potentially by specials on each of the 2 main composers, followed by "the rest". I definitely like the "favorite tracks" idea as well.

T.E.Lawrence

lairdo said:
Please check out the latest IndyCast where we look at and listen to the music of Young Indy in this 20th anniversary special.

Link Here

Amazing Lairdo, going to listen to it immediately. I am pressing the Raven gang for months to create some special podcast with a Young Indy theme where Skype multi-connection would be used with the most active user for discussions and mutual interviews...so to read this announcement, it was so AMAZINGGGGGGGGGGGG...if there could be only more Young Indy podcasts :)

Thank you so MUCH FOR THIS!!!!!!!!!!

UPDATED:

Just listening - this is so great :) Fantastic to hear Stoo's voice :)

Last edited: