Soundtracks?

Demitasse

Stoo said:
Since we played our top choice tracks on the podcast, what is everyone else's favourite?

Nice question Stoo, this made for a fun exercise! Like Josh said in the podcast, I burned these cues/themes into my brain as I walked around campus. :) Ok, I found it impossible to pick just one though out of all that material...

So...

My 5 Favorites from the Soundtracks:
Veldt Voyage
Boulevards of Barcelona
Death of Barthelmy
Arriverderci Indy
Broadway to Hollywood

My 5 Favorites uncovered by Raven research:
The Letter
Friends of Frederic
Do Any of You Speak German?
The Chief's Son is Dying
Arrival in Hannover

My Fantasy "Someday" Releases:
Indy's Bicycle Escape
Indy & Molly's Proposal Dinner (Istanbul)
A full version of ?April Showers? (Mystery of the Blues)
Pretty much anything from Curse of the Jackal...!

If I was asked to compile a 20th Anniversary "Best Of":

Morning
Talking with Teddy
The Poetry Lesson
Arrival in Paris
Countryside Courtship
Lead for Breakfast
Indy Hijacks the Balloon
The Bridges of St. Petersburg
Proposal-Reunion
Painful Lessons
Sophie's Chamber
A Train to catch
Stories Concerning Antiquities
Desert Storm
It's Treason Sargeant
Gaza or Beersheba
Sweetie Dear
I Can't Believe You're In love with me
A Poem For Indy

T.E.Lawrence

Stoo said:
Note: Contrary to what was said on the podcast, "Truck Fight and Biplane Escape" was spliced toghether by our Belgian friend, fommes (not T.E. Lawrence) and named by InexorableTash (not me).

Stoo is right...the compilation that I coauthored with Fommes is titled as:

"The Young Indiana Jones Chronicles - Original Broadcasts End Credits - Compiled by Fommes and T.E. Lawrence"

...and it was distributed during September 2009 within most active users.

Here is the list of tracks:

01.1908-05-1916-03-Curse of the Jackal(Fommes Rip)
01b.1908-05-1916-03-Curse of the Jackal.VHS.Mono(T.E. Lawrence Rip)
01c.1908-05-1916-03-Curse of the Jackal-v2(T.E. Lawrence Rip)
01d.1908-05-1916-03-Curse of the Jackal-v3(T.E. Lawrence Rip)
02.1916-05-London(Fommes Rip)
02b.1916-05-London.VHS.Mono(T.E.Lawrence Rip)
03.1909-09-British East Africa(Fommes Rip)
03b.1909-09-British.East.Africa(T.E.Lawrence Rip)
04.1916-09-Verdun(Fommes Rip)
04b.1916-09-Verdun.VHS.Mono(T.E.Lawrence Rip)
04c.1916-09-Verdun-v2.VHS.Mono(T.E.Lawrence Rip)
05.1916-12-German East Africa(Fommes Rip)
05b.1916-12.German.East.Africa.VHS.Mono(T.E. Lawrence Rip)
05c.1916-12.German.East.Africa-v3.(T.E. Lawrence Rip)
06.1917-01-Congo(Fommes Rip)
06b.1917-01-Congo(T.E.Lawrence Rip)
06c.1917-01-Congo-v2VHS.Mono(T.E.Lawrence Rip)
06d.1917-01-Congo-v3(T.E.Lawrence Rip)
07.1917-03-Austria(Fommes Rip)
07b.1917-03-Austria.VHS.Mono(T.E. Lawrence Rip)
08.1916-08-Somme(Fommes Rip)
08b.1916-08-Somme.VHS.Mono(T.E.Lawrence Rip)
08c.1916-08-Somme-v2.VHS.Mono(T.E.Lawrence Rip)
09.1916-08-Germany(Fommes Rip)
09b.1916-08-Germany.VHS.Mono(T.E. Lawrence Rip)
10.1917-05-Barcelona(Fommes Rip)
10b.1917-05-Barcelona.VHS.Mono(T.E. Lawrence Rip)
10c.1917-05-Barcelona.VHS.Mono(T.E. Lawrence Rip)
11b.1920-04-The.Mystery.of.the.Blues.Part.1(T.E.Lawrence Rip)
11c.1920-04-The.Mystery.of.the.Blues.Part.1-v2(T.E.Lawrence Rip)
12.1920-05-Mystery of the Blues-Part.2(Fommes Rip)
12b.1920-04-Mystery of the Blues-1(Fommes Rip)
12c.1920-05-The.Mystery.of.the.Blues.Part.2(T.E.Lawrence Rip)
12d.1920-05-The.Mystery.of.the.Blues.Part.2-v2(T.E.Lawrence Rip)
12e.1920-05-The.Mystery.of.the.Blues.Part.2-v3(T.E.Lawrence Rip)
13.1916-02-Princeton(Fommes Rip)
13b.1916-02-Princeton(Merged-Fommes & T. E. Lawrence Rip)
14.1917-07-Petrograd.VHS.Mono(T.E. Lawrence Rip)
14b.1917-07-Petrograd.VHS-v2(T.E. Lawrence Rip)
14c.1917-07-Petrograd-v2(T.E. Lawrence Rip)
15b.1920-06-The.Scandal.of.1920.Part.1(T.E.Lawrence Rip)
15c.1920-06-The.Scandal.of.1920.Part.1-v2(T.E.Lawrence Rip)
16.1920-07-The.Scandal.of.1920.Part.2(Fommes Rip)
16b.1920-07-The.Scandal.of.1920.Part.2.VHS.Mono(T.E.Lawrence Rip)
16c.1920-07-The.Scandal.of.1920.Part.2-v2(T.E.Lawrence Rip)
17.1908-11-Vienna(Fommes Rip)
18.1918-06-Northern Italy(Fommes Rip)
18b.1918-06-Northern Italy(T.E.Lawrence Rip)
18c.1918-06-Northern Italy(T.E.Lawrence Rip)
19.1916-11-Phantom Train of Doom(Fommes Rip)
19c.1916-11-Phantom Train of Doom(T. E.Lawrence Rip)
20.1916-04-Irenald-Reconstructed(T.E. Lawrence Rip)
20b.1916-04-Irenald-v2(Matinee Idyll Rip)
20c.1916-04-Irelamd(T.E. Lawrence Rip)
21.1908-09-Paris-Partial(T.E. Lawrence Rip)
21b.1908-09-Paris-v2(T.E. Lawrence Rip)
22.1910-03-Peking(Fommes Rip)
22b.1910-03-Peking(T. E. Lawrence Rip)
23.1910-01-Benares(Fommes Rip)
23b.1910-01-Benares-Partial-v3(T. E. Lawrence)
23c.1910-01-Benares-v3(T. E. Lawrence)
24.1916-10-Paris.VHS.Mono(T.E. Lawrence Rip)
25.1918-09-Istanbul(Fommes Rip)
25.1918-09-Istanbul(T. E. Lawrence)
26.1919-05-Paris(Fommes Rip)
26b.1919-05-Paris.VHS.Mono(T.E.Lawrence Rip)
27.1908-05-Florence(Fommes Rip)
27b.1908-05-Florence(T.E.Lawrence Rip)
28.1917-08-Prague(Fommes Rip)
28b.1917-08-Prague(T.E.Lawrence Rip)
28c.1917-08-Prague-v2(T.E.Lawrence Rip)
29.1917-10-Palestine(T.E.Lawrence Rip)
29b.1917-10-Palestine-v2(T.E.Lawrence Rip)
29c.1917-10-Palestine-v3(T.E.Lawrence Rip)
30.1918-01-Transylvania(Fommes Rip)
30b.1918-01-Transylvania(T.E.Lawrence Rip)
30c.1918-01-Transylvania-v2(T.E.Lawrence Rip)
30d.1918-01-Transylvania-v3(T.E.Lawrence Rip)

My other project was The Old Indy Chronicles DVD:
http://raven.theraider.net/showthread.php?t=18722

DVD of Young Indy's Promos is also in the plans but no ETA for now.

Hope that clears it out :)

Last edited:

T.E.Lawrence

Truly fantastic podcast. Listen to it 3 times so far :)
Hopefully there will be more sequels in the future.

Additional questions for Stoo and Lairdo:

For Stoo:
Have your mother (in reference to podcast) ever listen to Young Indy's music and if the answer is positive what were her impressions about the quality of music from her academic perspective?

For Lairdo:
(In reference to podcast) - What was the feedback from ABC executives after that special screening - any rumors at least from that stage of production after they had first look at the rough-assembled material?

PS - Hopefuly in the next two weeks I will have a nice surprise for the usual PM users :)

Best Wishes.

Stoo

lairdo said:
Good idea Stoo. Would be great to feature this thread's top list in our next broadcast.

And I'm glad for your "accent." I think our three voices are distinct enough to make listening easy to follow. Wasn't planned that way, but sometimes these things work out.
Other fan favourites should be definitely be acknowledged down the road. It would be nice to feature the top picks of Raven contributors and could/should be the focus of a future broadcast.

'Accents' & 'voices' aside, you did a great job at editing all the pieces together & presented everything in a very, cohesive manner. Hats off to you, Laird.:hat:
Nils Andersson said:
Very interesting podcast! It's fun to see that Young Indiana Jones Chronicles is still alive. I looking forward to hear more of your podcasts.

By the way, my favorite music is the irish songs from Love's sweet song and of course the Bach, Jesu joy of man's desiring or "Jesus är min glädjes källa".
Young Indy is still around...as long as the fans still live & breathe! Thanks for posting your favourites, Nils!(y) (And thanks for the Swedish translation.)
InexorableTash said:
I still quibble about who named it, but thanks for the correction and my apologies - and continued gratitude - to fommes! As you could probably tell by listening I was suddenly wishing I'd done more research before the recording session when that track came up.
'Twas you who named the track, Tash, so don't sell yourself short!;)
30 April, 2009 (3 years minus 1 week ago), from InexorableTash:

Special Delivery - Combat_005.swf (2:55@16kbps) - same bits of Attack of the Hawkmen as LC_ESCAPE_D_ACT from the LEGO Indy soundtrack; longer (less cut up) but lower quality. I dub it "Truck Fight and Biplane Escape"
InexorableTash said:
Regarding future episodes - I think we need to wait for Ed to let us know how it rated as far as downloads go. I got a definite bump in the number of daily visitors to my site, but it's still a meager number. (I don't care, it's a labor of love!) We had discussed an intro/20th anniversary episode, followed potentially by specials on each of the 2 main composers, followed by "the rest". I definitely like the "favorite tracks" idea as well.
We should follow that proposed template. Sounds good to me.:) (Our expectations were very low but the # of downloads might be higher than you think, Tash.)
Demitasse said:
Nice question Stoo, this made for a fun exercise! Like Josh said in the podcast, I burned these cues/themes into my brain as I walked around campus. :) Ok, I found it impossible to pick just one though out of all that material...
Nice list, Halfcup...but if you were sent to live alone on a deserted island and FORCED to pick just *1* track, what would it be?:whip:
T.E.Lawrence said:
Thank you so MUCH FOR THIS!!!!!!!!!!

Just listening - this is so great :) Fantastic to hear Stoo's voice :)
Glad you're so enthusiastic, T.E.!
T.E.Lawrence said:
For Stoo:
Have your mother (in reference to podcast) ever listen to Young Indy's music and if the answer is positive what were her impressions about the quality of music from her academic perspective?
Unfortunately, I have never played her any of the Young Indy music. However, I *do* intend on making my mom listen to certain tracks to see if she can identify some other Bach cues. (We didn't have time on my recent visit.):( Back in the early '90s, I was watching the "Congo" episode and she came downstairs after hearing Bach's music and stayed for the rest of the episode. She also watched, "The Light in the Jungle", with me (a parallel film that I mention in the IndyCast special).
T.E.Lawrence said:
PS - Hopefuly in the next two weeks I will have a nice surprise for the usual PM users :)
You've picqued my curiousity, T.E.! (Please include Demitasse in the PM group.)

----
What is your favourite Young Indy track, T.E.Lawrence?:whip:

Last edited:

InexorableTash

Stoo said:
'Twas you who named the track, Tash, so don't sell yourself short!

Hrm, I guess that was before I decided that using quotes from the scene was a better approach. Ah well, can't undo what has been done - I guess we're stuck with that name until we get something official.

lairdo

T.E.Lawrence said:
For Lairdo:
(In reference to podcast) - What was the feedback from ABC executives after that special screening - any rumors at least from that stage of production after they had first look at the rough-assembled material?

We really didn't get to hear directly what they said. The screening was George, Rick and a few others plus about 10 people from ABC as I recall. Generally, all of us in editorial went home and slept as we had all been at the Ranch for about 3 days straight. (Yes, we basically slept there - 2 all nighters back to back!)

I guess we heard that they liked what they saw, and we did not really change anything going forward.

The footage we showed - Indy in the fight in Mexico with the Train, the London Train Station sequence, Vicky and Indy on their Oxford trip (I think we also had the Winston Churchill bit in there), bits of the Congo warrior attack. Stuff like this wasn't happening on episodic TV. You might see this scope and variety in miniseries, but not week-to-week. Now, we are more used to it due to special effects and more efficient editorial methods. But back then, it was pretty incredible.

Also, because the show was shot on 16 mm film, it just looked really good when projected in George's screening room - even off video.

T.E.Lawrence said:

Excellent!

T.E.Lawrence

Stoo said:
Nice list, Halfcup...but if you were sent to live alone on a deserted island and FORCED to pick just *1* track, what would it be?:whip:
Glad you're so enthusiastic, T.E.!
Unfortunately, I have never played her any of the Young Indy music. However, I *do* intend on making my mom listen to certain tracks to see if she can identify some other Bach cues. (We didn't have time on my recent visit.):( Back in the early '90s, I was watching the "Congo" episode and she came downstairs after hearing Bach's music and stayed for the rest of the episode. She also watched, "The Light in the Jungle", with me (a parallel film that I mention in the IndyCast special).
You've picqued my curiousity, T.E.! (Please include Demitasse in the PM group.)

----
What is your favourite Young Indy track, T.E.Lawrence?:whip:

Hi Stoo.
Such a hard question, impossible to give an objective answer.
I absolutely love everything from Young Indy music but I know that is not the reply that you want to hear:) I would be probably pressed with the desert island scenario after that - look just what happened to Demitasse :)

So, after a lot of subjective considerations (I am including here only the official releases) I would probably pick "Requiem" from Verdun - the second part of that track also has a beautiful piece of "Visiting Remy" with hybrid references to "Remembering Verdun" (so the desert island scenario would be a little easier :). However, "Arrival at Port Gentil" could also bring some additional hope to the desert island life - hoping to see ships that could rescue me :)

But my heart bleeds for betraying so many other tracks - Of course love the main theme, tracks from London - especially "War of Words" and "Celtic Love." Well, everything from Young Indy brings strong, visual, epic and nostalgic feelings. Hard to imagine life without the Young Indy music :)

Thanks Stoo for your reply. Yes, I will include Demitasse - it will happen in the next 60 minutes :)

T.E.Lawrence

lairdo said:
The footage we showed - Indy in the fight in Mexico with the Train, the London Train Station sequence, Vicky and Indy on their Oxford trip (I think we also had the Winston Churchill bit in there), bits of the Congo warrior attack. Stuff like this wasn't happening on episodic TV. You might see this scope and variety in miniseries, but not week-to-week. Now, we are more used to it due to special effects and more efficient editorial methods. But back then, it was pretty incredible.

Also, because the show was shot on 16 mm film, it just looked really good when projected in George's screening room - even off video.

Thanks Lairdo once again for sharing historical background and inside look at the series. I am always reading your posts with such a great interest - you are the holder of the book of secrets :)

Demitasse

Originally posted by Stoo
Nice list, Halfcup...but if you were sent to live alone on a deserted island and FORCED to pick just *1* track, what would it be?

Awwwwright. For the sake of what might someday be a podcast considering fan favourites from the Raven, I would have to give my vote to... "Indy Hijacks The Balloon" from OST Volume 4/Phantom Train of Doom. It just has it all: action, adventure, soaring highs, schmaltzy sentiment, bell-ringing... I find it reminiscent of John Williams' "Indy's Very First Adventure", and definitely count it among McNeely's finest work for the series.

((Now for the sake of argument, if I really WAS on a deserted island, then naturally I'd have to pick the theme from Treasure of the Peacock's Eye)). :gun:

Who's next???

T.E.Lawrence

Faleel said:
I understand if you cannot, but I am very interested in joining as well.

Faleel, it is done.
The alternative is unthinkable.

On the other note - forgot to add in my previous posts about podcast that it is so funny when Stoo says: "Transylvannnniaaaaaaa" :)

Anyway, enjoy the PM gift guys :)

InexorableTash

Demitasse reminded me that we have a 36-second segment of the LIJ2 track 1_1_Nepal_Act which is unidentified:

Current breakdown of the track:
0:00-0:27 YIJC Verdun
0:27-1:01 ROTLA
1:01-1:37 YIJC ?Daredevils?
1:37-2:27 YIJC Verdun "Return from the Mission"

The ?Daredevils? bit is speculative. (On a recent listen, I was also reminded of the Rooftop Chase scene from Austria.)

Anyone want to pop in the DVDs and track it down? We also still need a full cue breakdown for Daredevils, and there's no chance I'll get to that any time soon.

Stoo

To my ears, that 36 second bit sounds like something from McNeely and it's a good bet that it is (considering that he did the "Verdun" music which was used for the other, main parts of the "1_1_Nepal_Act" track). I will go over "Daredevils" to check...

Hats off to Demitasse for noticing that unidentified portion!:hat:

Demitasse

Well, Tash is the real identifier, I am only the reminder. (y)

It is definitely McNeely's work.

My own feeling is that it is almost certainly from the fight sequence from "Tales of Innocence" after Indy finds the red sand in Col. Bonnet's boots in Morocco. On the DVD its roughly 1:31:40 - 1:33:00.
During this scene there is a sloppy mish-mash of cues from Daredevils of the Desert that have already been identified all kind of jammed together during the fight.

Anyway, if you guys get a chance, have a look at that fight scene from Innocence. I'm pretty sure it's in there somewhere.

InexorableTash

Dr.Jonesy said:
It is Mozart's Clarinet Concerto K622!

Nice find! Spreadsheet updated. Sounds like the second movement, which according to Wikipedia was "popularized" by the movie Out of Africa - somewhat appropriate?

Last edited:

Demitasse

Dr.Jonesy said:
I found it!

Congratulations Dr. Jonesy!!! :hat: Must be a great feeling to have finally tracked it down after all this time. Thanks for searching so hard and sharing the info. Just purchased it on itunes to add to my Oganga collection. Thanks again!!

PS- Can't help feeling more vindication for my theory that Young Indy is often represented/symbolized by clarinet pieces throughout the series!!!

Stoo

Dr.Jonesy said:
I found it!

Way to go, Dr.Jonesy!(y) Thanks a lot for sharing your discovery. Much appreciated!:hat:

So it wasn't Bach afterall...(It could be said that we were 'baching' up the wrong tree!:p)
Demitasse said:
My own feeling is that it is almost certainly from the fight sequence from "Tales of Innocence" after Indy finds the red sand in Col. Bonnet's boots in Morocco. On the DVD its roughly 1:31:40 - 1:33:00. During this scene there is a sloppy mish-mash of cues from Daredevils of the Desert that have already been identified all kind of jammed together during the fight.

Anyway, if you guys get a chance, have a look at that fight scene from Innocence. I'm pretty sure it's in there somewhere.
I watched that part of "Tales of Innocence" and the piece isn't there. Something similar can be heard between 1:31:37-1:31:58 when the sword fighting begins but it's not the same thing. The hunt continues...

Dr.Jonesy

Thanks guys! It was a victorious moment! It is now my favorite song of all time.
:hat:

I actually found it while out and about town. I was tired as I had just substituted at some crazy 6th grade class (I'm 19, so these kids drive me nuts!) and a few friends made me go antique shopping with them which I do love to do, but I almost didn't go since it was a long day. And randomly in this local sandwich shop I heard it playing! I got so excited I went to the counter and asked if it was the radio (Hoping it wasn't) and the lady told me it was a CD, and thankfully she was kind enough to show me the back of the CD case. And wa-lah! I had the song!

(y)

What're the chances? If I had gone home to take a nap I wouldn't have found out the song. I can't tell you how many countless songs and lists of 'Best Classical Pieces' I searched through to find it, only to find it in a deli shop.

lairdo

Dr.Jonesy said:
What're the chances? If I had gone home to take a nap I wouldn't have found out the song. I can't tell you how many countless songs and lists of 'Best Classical Pieces' I searched through to find it, only to find it in a deli shop.

Life's like that! Very cool and congrats.