Soundtracks?

Stoo

Dr.Jonesy said:
What're the chances? If I had gone home to take a nap I wouldn't have found out the song. I can't tell you how many countless songs and lists of 'Best Classical Pieces' I searched through to find it, only to find it in a deli shop.
Great story, Dr.Jonesy. Way to go!:) Following in your footsteps, I encountered a somewhat similar situation (but without a conclusive ending)...

Last night on the U.K.'s Film 4 Channel, a commercial used music which sounded exactly like a part from the "Florence" episode. This leads me to believe that Rosenthal incorporated a classical piece into his composition.

On the "Perils of Cupid" DVD it is used twice:
*0:52:52-0:54:07* - when Puccini is pouring wine (Tash has labelled the track as "Attraction is the Law of Physics")
*1:31:37-1:33:00* - the ending credits sequence

(Tash, I updated the spreadsheet with the time cue for the end credits but couldn't get the numbers to right-justify within the cell box. Can you fix that, please?;))

I didn't catch what the TV commercial was advertising but am keeping my ear out for it again. The hunt is on!:whip:

InexorableTash

Northern Italy, June 1918

a.k.a. Chapter 16: Tales of Innocence (Part 1)

I've finished my take on a track breakdown, visible on the spreadsheet (but not yet the site):

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AitXfrT-eTV8clFHT2ZlQ2lJazJnNWtuNzRZOGx5V2c#gid=2

Not a lot to say - OST#4 has about 20 minutes of music from the 45 minute episode. There's a significant amount of re-use and diegetic ("source") music in the episode so there's less than 10 minutes of score not present.

Tidbits:

Guilietta's solo is a performance of "The Swan" from "Carnival of the Animals" by Camille Saint-Saëns. There's a very similar sounding recording on the 'tube at: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PXAlznKcJvA

Bocelli's Rigoletto "La donna è mobile" is used for the practice tune when Indy is out instrument hunting.

The score for the Old Indy bookends (c/o Stoo TV) is part of the CD release (as is typical of episodes with bookends).

I couldn't identify Ernie and Guilietta's duet, or Indy and Ernie's dueling serenades. Any ideas?

Stoo

InexorableTash said:
I couldn't identify Ernie and Guilietta's duet, or Indy and Ernie's dueling serenades. Any ideas?
- During the serenade duel, Ernie is singing, "Beautiful Dreamer", by Stephen Foster.

- Ernie & Guillietta's duet sounds similar to a classical piece used in a Monty Python skit (Guidance Counsellor/Arthur Pewty; the version in "And Now For Something Completely Different"). Needs more investigation...

How did you identify "The Swan"? Nice going, Tash!:hat:

Last edited:

Stoo

InexorableTash said:
http://www.youngindianajonesmusic.com/cue-lists/16-tales-of-innocence is updated, but not with Stoo's additions yet.

Heh, glad you asked - I used a song identifying app on my phone called SoundHound! It also offered up the YouTube link.
Just updated the "Northern Italy" part of the spreadsheet with my addition (and confirmed a few of your recent additions).

This "SoundHound" thing sounds great, Tash! Maybe it could solve my long-burning question: What is the Bach melody that Schweitzer is playing on the piano while Indy is looking at the Bach books on the bookshelf?:confused:

InexorableTash

Stoo said:
This "SoundHound" thing sounds great, Tash! Maybe it could solve my long-burning question: What is the Bach melody that Schweitzer is playing on the piano while Indy is looking at the Bach books on the bookshelf?

I gave it a try - no luck, sorry. I tried the similar "Shazam" app too. Any others vexing you?

Stoo

Thanks for trying, Tash.:hat: The mystery continues...

Another vexing tune is the song that Remy is singing while brushing his teeth in "Oganga/German East Africa:

"Le-Ra-Lou, Ra-Le-Lou...(Indecpiherable)...tu mènes. Prenez les mains, mon coucoudou..."

It's doubtful that your SoundHound thing will identify the song but it's worth a shot!

Demitasse

Hey if you guys get a chance, can you sic your soundhounds on the "traditional" Russian song that plays during Indy's birthday party in Secret Service? Would love to know what it is!!!

T.E.Lawrence

I think this is the best version of Minstreal Boy that has similarities with the London piece that I was able to find.

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/xm4qvZ1aAVA" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

lairdo

Apologies for not going back through the thread to see if this point has been made, but we used The Man Who Would Be King as the temp music for the London goodbye sequence. This iTunes preview, although a different recording, is basically what we used. http://itunes.apple.com/us/album/theme-from-man-who-would-be/id326274734

In fact, I learned a life lesson from GL on this. I commented that the temp track (put in by Ben Burtt) was too militaristic and not romantic enough. (I was editing the rest of the music for an ABC demo.) I was told "That's just an opinion."

Laird

Stoo

T.E.Lawrence: A nice performance and, yes, quite similar to the Young Indy versions.

Laird: Just a month or two before you joined The Raven, I reported the first part of your story after hearing it on an IndyCast in October 2009 (post #141). The bit about Lucas saying, "That's just an opinion", you told during our recent Young Indy Music podcast. Fun story!:D

Which leads me to comment on T.E.Lawrence's 3-year-old post (#120) from September 2009:
T.E.Lawrence said:
As far as I can see after some listening and some research it seems that the theme when Indy is on the train station is "Minstral Boy" as it is already mentioned in the thread.

But I was confused why was "The Son of God goes forth to war" hymn mentioned together with Minstral Boy, but as Stoo and others have already noted, Minstral Boy tune is used in Huston's film "The Man Who Would be King". But as I can now see the tune in the movie is used together with the "The Son of God goes forth to war" lyrics. So I guess that is the reason why the songs are mentioned together altough the tune is from Minstral Boy.
In actual fact, the tune was originally titled, "The Moreen"! After some digging through various sources, here's what I discovered about its development:

c.1550-c.1805: "The Moreen" (Irish traditional aria - instrumental, no lyrics)
c.1806: "The Minstrel Boy" (Thomas Moore, with lyrics)
1812: "The Son of God Goes Forth to War" (Reginald Heber, Lutheran hymn with different lyrics)

Moreen is a material used to upholster chairs, chesterfields (sofas) & whatnot...An Irish melody about wool fabric?:confused: (I've known a couple of Scottish girls named, Maureen.)

Last edited:

lairdo

Funny coincidence. I happen to buy the Major Dundee soundtrack on iTunes last night. (I collect all sorts of music.) The composer of this Sam Peckinpah film was Daniele Amfiteatrof.

In a few tracks, particularly Gentlemen of the South, he quotes Minstrel Boy! (Or whatever it really is vis-a-vis Stoo's last post.)

The film is from the 60's - before The Man Who Would Be King.

Faleel

So, How much music have you guy's amassed? if the the number of pages is to be any indication, it must be a mammoth collection!

Demitasse

Based on itunes, my Young Indy files clock in at about 11 hours and 45 minutes of stuff. Yikes. A lot of that is unofficial such as Stoo's 7 minute recreation of the Scheherazade sequence used in the show.

ggiersch

Okay, Enough Lurking!

I have been reading this thread for months and I am caving in. It looks fascinating, and I own all of the Young Indy CDs. Is the music you guys are talking about just tracks of things that do not exist, or have you folks actually compiled all of this music to listen to?

InexorableTash

ggiersch said:
I have been reading this thread for months and I am caving in. It looks fascinating, and I own all of the Young Indy CDs. Is the music you guys are talking about just tracks of things that do not exist, or have you folks actually compiled all of this music to listen to?

Actual music. Stop by http://youngindianajonesmusic.com and look at the Promotional Releases and Game Music pages which give info about sources for YIJ music other than the CD releases, or flip through the Cue Lists and pay attention to the Source column.

For example, http://www.youngindianajonesmusic.com/cue-lists/11-oganga-the-giver-and-taker-of-life - this will list the CD tracks used in the two Oganga episodes, as well as pointers to the Indy games that have unreleased music.

ggiersch

Spring Break Adventure

I will try and start small then for myself to gradually learn how to do this. I have been to the sites recommended. If I was interested in obtaining all of the music from Spring Break adventure, I am still confused as to how to get it. I see the music, sometimes even the source, but that is where I get lost.