Soundtracks?

lairdo

My 10 hour is just music from the show. A few pieces are source pieces but not any that are from other sources than the show.

InexorableTash

If you want to get technical...

4.9 hours are the 4 OST releases.
2.3 hours in bootlegs/promos
0.5 hours of music ripped from the show (scenes with no/minimal dialog/sfx)
2.5 hours of music from games (LEGO and the DVD games),
music from the end credits (DVD and VHS) also used in episodes, and music from composers' web sites (I don't have a good breakdown of this category)

Faleel said:
what about without source music or classical music not composed or recorded specifically for the show?

Of my total, only the 7 minute Scheherazade Medley by Stoo was not recorded for the show. There's a lot of use of classical music composed by Bach, Mozart and others famous dead dudes, even on the OSTs, that was rerecorded for the show. And, of course, Mystery of the Blues and Northern Italy 1918 (among others) are full of course music - including Indy playing the sax! - so it's hard to count.

Faleel

Did you guys know that you can remove/reduce the SFX from the Lego Indy Files?

just take the sfx only files, sync them to the music and sfx files, and invert the sfx only files, and mix and render, and the sfx should be gone or reduced.

InexorableTash

Faleel said:
Did you guys know that you can remove/reduce the SFX from the Lego Indy Files?

just take the sfx only files, sync them to the music and sfx files, and invert the sfx only files, and mix and render, and the sfx should be gone or reduced.

Actually discussed previously on this thread:

http://raven.theraider.net/showpost.php?p=468047&postcount=257

http://raven.theraider.net/showpost.php?p=481596&postcount=307

http://raven.theraider.net/showpost.php?p=485633&postcount=315

Some tracks (listed above) get an improvement or become totally clean. The others (as mentioned) aren't as simple - the SFX is not a simple loop of the "ambient" file. Possibly there's an offset or the "ambient" file is more than a single loop. Anyway, I haven't had a chance to clean up any more of the files than those listed in the above posts. Best of luck to anyone that wants to attempt it!

fommes

Well, I had a year's posts to read up on - and what a terrific read it was. I've also downloaded the podcast and looking forward to hearing the whole thing!

Great find on Squanto, too. Will definitely try to pick that one up before Intrada lets it go out of print or so. Of course the cue is entirely derivative of Hook in the first place (as Phantom Train is).

Must really start editing all this music when I find some time - over an hour of unreleased music in the games is really something :)

Stoo

Welcome back, Sir Fommes!:hat: Hope you enjoyed the podcast. If you liked it, thank InexorableTash & Laird. Tash is the one who got the ball rolling and Laird edited it together.:D

I absolutely loathed/detested/hated, "Hook", and never want to see it again (once was MORE than enough) but am curious to know about which music you're referring to.

Got your latest e-mail. Reply coming up...

Last edited:

fommes

Thanks!
I just listened to and really enjoyed the Podcast! So thanks to the three of you for a splendid programme! Info-wise there wasn't much new in this for this subforum's frequenters of course, but I enjoyed the talk very much, it was well thought out, well edited, had some great anecdotes and was very entertaining. Nice to hear your voices too :)

Regarding Phantom Train of Doom, the score is very, very derivative of Last Crusade and Hook - it's entertaining but it copies the temp track a bit too closely. Then again, perhaps other Young Indy scores copied their temp track very closely too, but it all depends on whether you're familiar with the temp score of course.
But if you like it, you'll probably like the Hook score too, regardless of the quality of the film :)

(PS: InexorableTash, your PM inbox is full.)

Last edited:

Crack that whip

I actually quite like how evocative of the Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade score the Phantom Train of Doom score is; I see (er, hear) it as a musical move to help tie the show more closely together with the films, and it certainly works well for the episode, too.

It appears to have been intentional; in the soundtrack liner notes the composer notes the music's relatedness to the scores for the features.

Stoo

Recording Information

Laird (post #333, March 16, 2011):
lairdo said:
One thing to clarify, at least in my time on YIJC, no scores were recorded in Germany. Prague was the main location with some done in Australia.
Laird, I'm not exactly sure when you stopped working on the show but the CD credits for "Ireland" and "Northern Italy" say that their scores were recorded in Munich, Germany. (Don't mean to contradict you, it's just something worth pointing out!;))

Why did I go back this post of yours?:confused: Because...

The CDs tell us which orchestras were used & where the recordings were made, etc. but we don't have much of the same information about all of the other music we've uncovered/discovered. It would be great to know, as much as possible, about the rest - for 2 reasons:

1) For InexorableTash's wonderful website. (Thus far, it doesn't have any of these details, legit release or not.);)
2) For the album credits of our fan-made volumes.

I'm putting together artwork for our additional volumes and want to duplicate the design of the legitimate releases, including the credit info. At present, Volume 0 is being finished and I'm preparing a cover for Tash's suggestion of Volume 8.

For starters: Laird, can you (or anyone else) help fill in the blanks for these?

CURSE OF THE JACKAL
Music Composted, Conducted and Produced by Laurence Rosenthal
Orchestrations: ???
Music Performed by: "American Federation of Musicians"
Recorded at: Skywalker Ranch, Marin County, California, U.S.A.
Music Prepartion: ???

PALESTINE, 1917 (DAREDEVILS OF THE DESERT)
Music Composted, Conducted and Produced by Laurence Rosenthal
Music Performed by: ???
Recorded at: ???

TRESURE OF THE PEACOCK'S EYE
Music Composted, Conducted and Produced by Steve Bramson
Music Performed by: ???
Recorded at: ???

P.S. Tash, the "Orchestrations" for IRELAND and NORTHERN ITALY were done by John Bell. A relative of yours, perhaps?:D

InexorableTash

Stoo said:
1) For InexorableTash's wonderful website. (Thus far, it doesn't have any of these details, legit release or not.);)

Hey, you've got write permissions - go ahead and edit the Original Soundtracks page to add details as you see fit.

2) For the album credits of our fan-made volumes.

Woooo!

CURSE OF THE JACKAL
Music Performed by: "American Federation of Musicians"

AFM is more of a professional organization (similar to a union) than a group for hire, isn't it?

TRESURE OF THE PEACOCK'S EYE
Music Composted, Conducted and Produced by Steve Bramson

Do you know that he had the opportunity to conduct it? Just wondering if Lucasfilm flew everyone overseas for the recording sessions.

P.S. Tash, the "Orchestrations" for IRELAND and NORTHERN ITALY were done by John Bell. A relative of yours, perhaps?:D

The "Bell" side of my family does have a musical bent, but nope. (And no relation to the famous violinist either.)

lairdo

Stoo said:
Laird (post #333, March 16, 2011):
Laird, I'm not exactly sure when you stopped working on the show but the CD credits for "Ireland" and "Northern Italy" say that their scores were recorded in Munich, Germany. (Don't mean to contradict you, it's just something worth pointing out!;))

Well, I was certainly on those shows. So, I guess I just didn't recall or know that those were done in Munich. Sorry for the misinformation! I wish I could get my hands on the DATs we got the scores on. They would have all that stuff you are interested in.

Stoo

InexorableTash said:
Hey, you've got write permissions - go ahead and edit the Original Soundtracks page to add details as you see fit.
---
Woooo!
---
AFM is more of a professional organization (similar to a union) than a group for hire, isn't it?
---
Do you know that he had the opportunity to conduct it? Just wondering if Lucasfilm flew everyone overseas for the recording sessions.
---
The "Bell" side of my family does have a musical bent, but nope. (And no relation to the famous violinist either.)
The only permission I have is to edit the spreadsheets of the Cue Lists so I can't add anything to the Original Soundtracks page.

As for Bramson conducting the orchestra, I don't know. That was just an assumption on my part. According to the Vol. 4 CD, Rosenthal conducted in Germany and McNeely in Australia. Both being U.S. citizens, they must have been flown over.

I figured the American Federation of Musicians was only a type of union which is why I used quotation marks when listing them as the performers. It's the only information I could find. From your website:

Ford A. Thaxton (an industry insider) explained in a post on the Film Score Monthly forums that the score for The Curse of the Jackal was recorded in the United States with members of the American Federation of Musicians. To release the score, new licensing fees would need to be payed to the players. In contrast, Thaxton writes: "the scores for the series were recorded in Germany and other places that didn't have any new usage fees." Laird Malamed (former assistant sound editor on YIJC) comments that "...at least in my time on YIJC, no scores were recorded in Germany. Prague was the main location with some done in Australia." Presumably, this explains why the original soundtracks feature music from episodes other than the pilot, and why the music is not utilized in any of the games except where already re-used within the series itself.

http://www.youngindianajonesmusic.com/cue-lists/curse-of-the-jackal

So I'm guessing that the orchestra who recorded, "Curse of the Jackal", didn't really have an actual name and the proper credit would be: Members of the AFM. Yes? No?:confused:
lairdo said:
Well, I was certainly on those shows. So, I guess I just didn't recall or know that those were done in Munich. Sorry for the misinformation! I wish I could get my hands on the DATs we got the scores on. They would have all that stuff you are interested in.
I wish you could get your hands on those, too! No problem about the misinformation. If your quote wasn't on Tash's website, I wouldn't have bothered bringing attention to it.:cool:

Another question for you, Laird. Here's a screengrab from the "Young Indy: Around the World" making-of special. Is this the same soundstage as the recording session you saw at The Ranch? The conductor looks like Laurence Rosenthal. (If it's not him, then it could be Frédéric Talgorn, in Prague possibly, since the other composers are much younger):

YoungIndyOrchestra.jpg

lairdo

Stoo said:
Another question for you, Laird. Here's a screengrab from the "Young Indy: Around the World" making-of special. Is this the same soundstage as the recording session you saw at The Ranch? The conductor looks like Laurence Rosenthal. (If it's not him, then it could be Frédéric Talgorn, in Prague possibly, since the other composers are much younger):

YoungIndyOrchestra.jpg

That looks like Larry Rosenthal to me. It does not, however, appear to be the Skywalker Stage. For one, I do not recall a big white door like that. The room is much more elegant as you would expect from GL. (I can say that as I am sitting in the USC Cinema building and his influence is all over this since he gave the money for it.)

Here's a link to a QuickTime VR file from the Skywalker Sound website:

http://www.skysound.com/qtvr/qtvr_tour_scoring.html

And that is definitely not the same room. I don't think it's changed that much in 20 years.

One think about the players for Curse of the Jackal. They had just recorded an album of Star Wars music, so they might have been the Skywalker Sound Orchestra - or the impetus for it. http://www.allthingsstrings.com/lay...walker-Built-the-Skywalker-Symphony-Orchestra

Laird

lairdo

lairdo said:
One think about the players for Curse of the Jackal. They had just recorded an album of Star Wars music, so they might have been the Skywalker Sound Orchestra - or the impetus for it. http://www.allthingsstrings.com/lay...walker-Built-the-Skywalker-Symphony-Orchestra

Laird

Actually, this link is better. It doesn't try to print out the story:
http://www.allthingsstrings.com/New...walker-Built-the-Skywalker-Symphony-Orchestra

It doesn't say they played on Curse, but I bet some of the players did. (In fact, it says they have not been used on GL's movies, but that isn't the same as a TV show.)

Stoo

lairdo said:
That looks like Larry Rosenthal to me. It does not, however, appear to be the Skywalker Stage.
Laird, thanks a lot for those links. The article was a great read and it implies that the assembled musicians were, indeed, the 'impetus' for the Skywalker Symphony. That said, I still don't know which names to use for the Volume 0 credits. I must ask, who was conducting when you saw the orchestra for, "Curse of the Jackal"? I'm assuming that it was Rosenthal. Yes?:confused:

You're absolutely right, Laird. From your evidence, the clip from the making-of special is/was not the Skywalker Sound studio. If that man is Rosenthal (which I believe he is), then this could possibly be the Arco Studio in Munich. As it turns out, supposedly, Laurence Rosenthal also conducted, "Main Theme", "British East Africa" and "Peking" in Munich (in addition to the aforementioned, "Ireland" & "Northern Italy" scores).

If the CD credits are to be trusted, it appears that MANY of the scores were recorded in Munich. Some conducted by Rosenthal, some by McNeely and some by a man named, Charles Ketcham (who, seemingly, was a substitute for Rosenthal).

Tash & I have updated his website to include some recording information about the Original Soundtracks (The info for Volume 3 hasn't been added yet because of all the lengthy, 1920s credentials. Unfortunately, Vol. 3 doesn't list the recording locations.)

lairdo

Stoo said:
I must ask, who was conducting when you saw the orchestra for, "Curse of the Jackal"? I'm assuming that it was Rosenthal.

My recollection is that Larry conducted, but I would not really trust that. He was certainly up for the sessions. We all went to the recording booth to listen at one point or another. I think the sessions too 2-3 days. It was a lot of music. We had it edited against picture a few days later.

What we need are the session notes from the Ranch archives. All of that would be on there. One can dream.

Demitasse

A favorite of mine from Mystery of the Blues is "April Showers".

01-FrontCover-500.png

The song was a 1921 hit for Al Jolson (released the year after the episode takes place!) The sound quality is not the best, but here is a better version by Mel Torme. Judy Garland recorded a popular version of it too... Personally I like Mel's the best. Reminds me of Chet Baker a little bit.

Wish they still sang barbershop in fraternity houses! :(

Demitasse

Does anyone know the name of the main opera segment by Puccini that is performed in Perils of Cupid? I heard a great version of it on the radio the other day and wanted to track it down. Is it Madame Butterfly?? Thx!