Indy 5 news 2017

Moedred

Administrator
Staff member
New year, new thread. At some point soon the main site will have it all, I promise. Awards season begins:
“There is only one Indiana Jones, and he’s it,” Marshall told us at the BAFTA L.A. Awards Season Party. “I think you saw that there’s only one Han Solo, and he did it, so I am very positive he’ll be able to pull it off again.”

Marshall insists that gossip about killing off the action-hero archaeologist in the upcoming Indiana Jones 5, and replacing him with a younger protagonist, is baseless. “I hadn’t thought about that,” says Marshall. “We are not going to do that.”
And unlike the Ringling Bros. and Barnum & Bailey Circus...
"People will always go to the movies. It is a social experience. There will always be room for that blockbuster movie."

DirkPitt

Considering, that Disney is currently making a movie about a young Han Solo with Alden Ehrenreich in the main role, the argument that only one Han Solo exist, is not a very strong one...

And I really hope, that they won't kill Indy at the end. I would like similar ending to the one presented in the Last Crusade - riding into sunset is so perfect final scene, that it should be at the very end.

Face_Melt

DirkPitt said:
Considering, that Disney is currently making a movie about a young Han Solo with Alden Ehrenreich in the main role, the argument that only one Han Solo exist, is not a very strong one...

And I really hope, that they won't kill Indy at the end. I would like similar ending to the one presented in the Last Crusade - riding into sunset is so perfect final scene, that it should be at the very end.

I have a feeling Indy 5 won't be the final Ford Indy film. I think Indy 6 will come out in 2021 for the 40th anniversary of the original film, giving us 2 Indy trilogies - one younger and one older. If Ford can play Indy at 77, he can play Indy at 79. The heavy rumor long before Indy 5 was announced was that Ford signed a contract with Disney for Star Wars 7 and 2 Indy films.

http://movieweb.com/harrison-ford-may-be-signed-for-two-more-indiana-jones-movies/

DirkPitt

I love Indy films (and other Expanded Universe stuff as well), but I think that 70-something action-adventure hero is pushing the boundaries too far. Even, if Harrison Ford is the only man which can make this idea work.
But I give the credit of trust to Spielberg and Ford (and Lucas) and I hope, that the fifth installment will be great.

Only one think makes me a little angry - if the creators are so eager to make more Indy films, why haven't they done it in the 90s? We could have at least two trilogies by now.

One can dream...

Anyway, I have my worries for the fifth one, but I am first to buy the ticket.

Walecs

Face_Palm said:
I have a feeling Indy 5 won't be the final Ford Indy film. I think Indy 6 will come out in 2021 for the 40th anniversary of the original film, giving us 2 Indy trilogies - one younger and one older. If Ford can play Indy at 77, he can play Indy at 79. The heavy rumor long before Indy 5 was announced was that Ford signed a contract with Disney for Star Wars 7 and 2 Indy films.

http://movieweb.com/harrison-ford-may-be-signed-for-two-more-indiana-jones-movies/

God, I hope you're right!

curmudgeon

Looking forward to the year ahead, when we can finally start hearing talk of filming dates and maybe even casting rumors. (Although not at all excited for made up plot rumors.)

If Ford can play Indy at 77, he can play Indy at 79.

He turns 77 days before its scheduled to come out. He'll probably still be 76 at the film's premiere, and 75 when it starts filming.

And if they want him back for a a sixth too, they need to get that sucker ready to shoot back-to-back or or just slightly after 5 does, because I don't see it happening otherwise.

Olliana

Yeah I thought about that too. A 6th film could work, if they map it all out carefully, write two scripts back to back and start shooting the final one in 2020 at the very latest. I know 5 is already pushing it, but it could work, depends on how they do it. Two more movies with Ford are more bankable than one after all.

Z dweller

DirkPitt said:
I think that 70-something action-adventure hero is pushing the boundaries too far.
Good to see someone is talking sense in this thread. Welcome to the Raven. :hat:

Pale Horse

Staff member
F-it, just record him mumbling some lines about finding his family and CGI it out for the next 18 Installments. At some point we gotta be illuminated like Henry Sr, and let it go.

Silvor

Every time we hear some news about Indy 5 from either Marshal, Spielberg or Koepp it sounds like Disney is not a concern at all.
I wouldn't be too surprised if Disney is pretty hands off with the movie and basically let them (Marshall, Spielberg) produce it like they're done all the others.
kinda get the feeling it's not Disney who pushed for Indy 5 but rather Ford and Spielberg.
This is just my feelings on the matter of course, I'm NOT saying this is definitely what's happening.

DirkPitt

Z dweller said:
Welcome to the Raven. :hat:

Thanks.
I was a reader for a long time. And now I've decided to join the discussions.:)

Z dweller said:
Good to see someone is talking sense in this thread.

Don't get me wrong - I hope it will work. I want it to work. But I just can't picture Indy in his 70s doing stuff he did in Raiders with the truck or with the tank in Crusade or even the warehouse whip swinging in Skull.
I know that with a little help of CGI and stunts they can pull it off, but it would be really, really hard to believe.
On the other hand, I can't image how Indiana Jones movie could work without dynamic action scenes. And I don't want Indy to be a secondary character. That is one of my concerns about Skull (and generally I like this movie) - in the jungle chase sequence, Mutt was the main hero and Indy was only the side-kick.

Honestly, I don't know how they will handle that problem...

Pale Horse

Staff member
DirkPitt said:
But I just can't picture Indy in his 70s doing stuff he did in Raiders with the truck or with the tank in Crusade or even the warehouse whip swinging in Skull.
I know that with a little help of CGI and stunts they can pull it off, but it would be really, really hard to believe. ...

Bingo. Good to see someone is talking sense in this thread.

Face_Melt

Pale Horse said:
Bingo. Good to see someone is talking sense in this thread.

Most of of Indy is hard to believe. The sound of fists hitting another person, Alien spacecraft, magic rocks, blood that possesses you, hearts getting pulled out while the person lives for minutes, rafting out of a plane, nuking the fridge, the list goes on and on. If believability is what you're looking for, this isn't the franchise for you.

One old man kicking ass is NOTHING for this franchise.

The way I see it? People complained that Indy used his whip too much in Indy 4 and never used his revolver. How about for Indy 5 he barely uses his whip and fists and instead uses that revolver more. Hell 95 year old geezers can shoot a pistol.

Pale Horse

Staff member
Face_Palm said:

Do you believe this old man is a man of action?

TbyVyx0.gif

This is the same surprise my grandpa makes when he remembers my name.

DirkPitt

Face_Palm said:
Most of of Indy is hard to believe. The sound of fists hitting another person, Alien spacecraft, magic rocks, blood that possesses you, hearts getting pulled out while the person lives for minutes, rafting out of a plane, nuking the fridge, the list goes on and on. If believability is what you're looking for, this isn't the franchise for you.

The fact, that there are some supernatural elements is not in the same category of unbelievability as the old man kicking ass. I can, without any problems, believe in the ancient mystery and the "magic" that comes with it - Sankara Stones, the power of the Grail, miracle of the Ark, Skull psychic powers...

But I find it very hard to believe, that an old man, no matter in how good shape he is, can do the truck chase, jump from horse to tank, swing on a whip or fist fight with bunch of guys. As long as I can visualize the main hero in the movie world, the supernatural stuff would be fine for me. But when the main character is in his late 70s, I just can't picture him as an action hero. Maybe Indy V will change this in my mind.

For example in the Expendables the age was not an issue, but the oldest - Stallone - had 68 years in the last installment (not counting Ford, who didn't do any physical demanding activities), so roughly the same as Harrison in Skull, which is the boundary for me. Ford will be close to 80.

Again, I really want to see Indy V and I will probably like it no matter how good or bad it will be. And I really, really want it to be great. I have high hopes and I believe, that Spielberg and Ford can make it work. I just have some concerns, if I would be able to accept it.

Face_Palm said:
The way I see it? People complained that Indy used his whip too much in Indy 4 and never used his revolver. How about for Indy 5 he barely uses his whip and fists and instead uses that revolver more. Hell 95 year old geezers can shoot a pistol.

I would like him to use whip and revolver. And this time actually let him shoot somebody :gun:

Face_Melt

Pale Horse said:

TbyVyx0.gif

I'm sure he could kick my ass (I'm 25).

Silvor

Pale Horse said:

4lWQy1E.jpg

I think this man can still run around a bit, ride some horses and throw some punches yes.
Of course he shouldn't jump around like a 20 year old, but Ford is in pretty good shape.
Just make the movie with the actors limits in mind, which is probably exactly what they are doing.

Last edited:

DirkPitt

If Indiana Jones would be played by any other actor I wouldn't give a credit of trust to Indy V. But Harrison Ford is the only man, who could make it work.

Indy V will probably be less depended on action scenes (or the fights will be done younger side-kick or even younger version of Indy). But the question I ask myself is: if the main hero will be more "thinking character" this time, will the fifth part be as good as the previous ones?

One of the key elements of the Indy movies is the dynamic action scenes with the main hero in the center of all the trouble. I am very curious how they will resolve that.

Pale Horse

Staff member
Silvor said:
Just make the movie with the actors limits in mind, which is probably exactly what they are doing.

Probably why they don't have a screenplay yet. It takes time to write an action scene properly for a 75 year old man.

DirkPitt said:
Indy V will probably be less depended on action scenes (or the fights will be done younger side-kick or even younger version of Indy). But the question I ask myself is: if the main hero will be more "thinking character" this time, will the fifth part be as good as the previous ones?

This is what I want too