Indy 5 news 2017

Z dweller

Pale Horse said:
It's not ageism, or even ford hating. It's recognizing that action and age are not good bedfellows.
Completely agree*. Some people here clearly care more about the actor than the character.

Pale Horse said:
The only way I see this working at this point, is having an academic Jones, heading a conference in real-time and he is taking questions from the audience about his storied career. As a senior, he expounds his wisdom and regalia to the very attentive audience, and you slowly fade from that scene, to a flashback adventure of yester-year. He bookends the true (reboot adventure cliffhanger) film.
Yes, any bookend-like scenario would work for me.
Sadly, I suspect it ain't gonna happen. :(

*BTW, I'm no spring chicken myself.

Face_Melt

Z dweller said:
Completely agree*. Some people here clearly care more about the actor than the character.

Actually we care about the character. If you know anything about Indiana Jones you know that he wouldn?t be sitting on his ass in his 70?s. He would be out in the field.

Silvor

The thing is, it seems people look at Indy in different ways.
Some seem to want him frozen as he first appeared in Raiders, as the young stern badass adventurer doing all kinds of stunts, more like a icon than a real character.
While some see him in a more realistic light character wise and welcome how he's changed over the years and want to see where he's at in his life in his old age.

It's like Raiders made such a huge impression on some fans that that is how Indy now must be for all eternity.
I think they greatly expanded the character in the sequels when they gave him a lighter side and explored his backstory and relationship with his father.
Letting him age makes him more real because we all age.

Would people really rather they recast Luke, Leia and Han in the new Star Wars?
Isn't part of the fun to see how the universe has progressed and where all our favorite characters are in their lives now after so much time has passed?
Ten more movies of young Luke battling the Empire with his lightsaber would just be boring. At least I think so.

We'll just have to accept that we want different things out of Indy 5, there's no point in all this bickering.
We need not look down on the other side just because we disagree.
We're all Indy fans are we not? :)

----
Please excuse any poor spelling, English isn't my first language.

Pale Horse

Staff member
Face_Palm said:
Actually we care about the character. If you know anything about Indiana Jones you know that he wouldn’t be sitting on his ass in his 70’s. He would be out in the field.

A genuine question, how do we "know" this? If we consider YIJC, all his Oldness does is simple chores, and tells stories. (though he does slide a banister in Curse of the Jackal)

Pale Horse

Staff member
Harrison is so old, he doesn't even get how knock knock jokes work.

a9r9BQW_700b.jpg

Face_Melt

Pale Horse said:
A genuine question, how do we "know" this? If we consider YIJC, all his Oldness does is simple chores, and tells stories. (though he does slide a banister in Curse of the Jackal)

Right, but that was a 93 year old Indy.

Raiders90

Pale Horse said:
Harrison is so old, he doesn't even get how knock knock jokes work.

a9r9BQW_700b.jpg

Ageism is very cruel.

"Man, I love those Indy films, but f-ck, I wish that Harrison Ford guy wasn't involved. I mean, I love them in spite of him, you know? Like, Tom Selleck or even Richard Dreyfuss would've been so much better man. We need someone like Ben Affleck or Chris Pratt."

Z dweller

Raiders112390 said:
Ageism is very cruel.

"Man, I love those Indy films, but f-ck, I wish that Harrison Ford guy wasn't involved. I mean, I love them in spite of him, you know? Like, Tom Selleck or even Richard Dreyfuss would've been so much better man. We need someone like Ben Affleck or Chris Pratt."
Actually, both Affleck and Pratt are way too old to play young Indy in the prequels which Disney will undoubtedly make, at some point in the future.

And your accusations of ageism are frankly laughable, just like your constant flip-flopping on loving/hating KOTCS.

I for one am really looking forward to watching Harry in Blade Runner 2049, have no qualms whatsoever with him playing an older Deckard, and enjoyed watching him in SW VII.

But those are movies with a multitude of characters, in other words both Deckard and Han Solo are just facets of a broader universe, with a lot more possibilities in terms of story development.

You are happy to watch Indy age with Ford - we get it. But a lot of people don't, and it's nothing to do with ageism.

This has been pointed out to you time and time again by a number of posters, and I don't understand why you insist with your hollow attempt at virtue signaling on these boards. Let it go.

Raiders90

Z dweller said:
Actually, both Affleck and Pratt are way too old to play young Indy in the prequels which Disney will undoubtedly make, at some point in the future.

And your accusations of ageism are frankly laughable, just like your constant flip-flopping on loving/hating KOTCS.

I for one am really looking forward to watching Harry in Blade Runner 2049, have no qualms whatsoever with him playing an older Deckard, and enjoyed watching him in SW VII.

But those are movies with a multitude of characters, in other words both Deckard and Han Solo are just facets of a broader universe, with a lot more possibilities in terms of story development.

You are happy to watch Indy age with Ford - we get it. But a lot of people don't, and it's nothing to do with ageism.

This has been pointed out to you time and time again by a number of posters, and I don't understand why you insist with your hollow attempt at virtue signaling on these boards. Let it go.

It has everything to do with ageism. And no, I won't "let it go" just because you tell me to. I get that Ford haters just want to silence all opposing opinions, but that's not gonna happen. Sorry.

Raiders90

Things would be so much easier for the Ford haters if Harrison would just croak already, amirite? Go to bed and don't wake up Grandpa Ford.

Z dweller

Raiders112390 said:
It has everything to do with ageism. And no, I won't "let it go" just because you tell me to. I get that Ford haters just want to silence all opposing opinions, but that's not gonna happen. Sorry.
Whatever, suit yourself.

Who cares. :rolleyes:

IndyBuff

I think a lot of it stems from how you view Indy. I know many fans who see him as an avatar that they can project themselves onto. They see him as less of a character and more of a vehicle that takes them through an adventure, while others see him as a fully formed character who grows and changes with each film (I believe there's truth in both). Those having a problem with Ford aging aren't wrong (no one wants to be old and no one wants to watch their heroes grow old either) and I certainly have my concerns about whether or not he can still pull it off. He did a great job in KOTCS but there's still a big difference between 65 and 75.

However, I'm more of the view that Indy is a character and doesn't remain in some immortal time capsule the way the older James Bond films handled Bond. He's meant to change and adapt and I'm fine with that, so long as it's done gracefully. Indy's meant to be in on the action and it's not wrong to wonder how someone his age could swing and jump around the way these films demand.

Last edited:

curmudgeon

Speaking of an older Indy... new Ford comments, which will air on the Graham Norton Show.

'We have a release date and we are working on a script. It will be great. I?m looking forward to working with Steven (Spielberg) again and to revisiting the character later in life,'

'It?s interesting to see it in a different light. It will be fun and a good thing to do.'

I've seen a few outlets pick this up, but I pulled the quote from DailyMail.

Finn

Staff member
If a 75-year-old woman makes you a proposal of the carnal kind, and you politely refuse... is that ageism?

Z dweller

Finn said:
If a 75-year-old woman makes you a proposal of the carnal kind, and you politely refuse... is that ageism?
Not if your name is Harrison Ford... :p

By the way, paging the legions of U.S. based Ford f̶e̶t̶i̶s̶h̶i̶s̶t̶s̶ admirers on here: make sure you don't miss our ageless hero on Jimmy Fallon tonight at 11:35 Eastern/10:35 Central.

https://www.nbc.com/the-tonight-show

IndyBuff

Finn said:

In this age of political correctness it would be impolite to refuse.

Face_Melt

Looks like Harrison has an amazing performance in Blade Runner 2049:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/films/0/blade-runner-2049-review-one-spectacular-provocative-profound/

Harrison Ford’s recent Star Wars homecoming was pure and glorious fan-service, but this is something very different, and unexpectedly unsettling, musing on matters of ageing, legacy and death. It’s an extraordinary part, extraordinarily played, and reminds you just how much more Ford can do than dog-eared charisma.