John Williams Music: In Concert

Stoo

Well, 2 nights ago, I had a very, moving experience at a concert tribute called "The John Williams Adventures" by L'Orchestre Académique Romand.
Shockingly, there was NO Indy music at all but, wow, what a night of great music. It started and closed with the themes he wrote for the Olympics
and in between were various selections from his illustrious career. What a catalogue of classic tunes he has under his belt!

First up after the opener was "Close Encounters' which was the most emotional instance for me since I hadn't heard it years and years but every
nuance & note started flooding right back. My brother and I used to listen to the LP at home and it made me think of those days.

Later on, it was time for "Jaws"! The tempo at the beginning wasn't slow enough however the outcome did not suffer in any way! The orchestra delivered
the relentless, pulsating rhythym with such precision that it filled the entire hall with ominous air of impending doom. Excellent performance.

One of most rousing moments of the night came with "Superman". I'd forgotten how great this piece is and had a lump in my throat hearing it again.
The increasingly tense buid-up that leads to the main trumpet barrage gave me goosebumps before the "Can You Read My Mind?" codas swept me right
into the clouds. The horn section was beautifully loud and stirring for this romantic and triumphant tune. The cymbal crashes and ending crescendo was
enough to send shivers down the spine. One of Williams' best.

I didn't think I would enjoy the "Star Wars" selections as much as I did since I've heard those soundtracks to death. The opening note (which accompanies
the logo) was a SMACK IN THE FACE! Our seats were front row of the balcony but it was so LOUD my girlfriend and I actually felt it phsyically!!! They did
4 pieces and "The Imperial March" was very well received by the audience but it was "Leia's Theme" that pretty much had me in tears. (The SW Radio Show
used it extensively so it had me waxing nostaligic for those days when endless hours were spent listening to the crappy, casette recordings I had made.)

Those were the highlights. Here's the complete roster:
Olympic Spirit
Close Encouters of the Third Kind
E.T.
The Patriot
Jaws
Jurassic Park II: The Lost World
Saving Private Ryan
Superman
----
Star Wars (Main Theme, Leia's Theme, Imperial March and Throne Room/End Titles)
Schindler's List (2 pieces)
JFK
Harry Potter (3 pieces)
Olympic Fanfare and Theme

I was hoping to hear some Indy, Poseidon Adventure or maybe something really obscure (Land of the Giants or The Time Tunnel) but was very pleased.
Well worth the ticket price. Craving more, I went home and watched my video of Williams (and C-3PO) conducting the Boston Pops back in c.April '80.

The sad part of it is that the turnout was extremely poor. At intermission, one of the musicians told me there was only 36 people in the audience.:(
When I asked my girlfriend if she wanted to go, she said, "Who's John Williams?":rolleyes:

Unfortunately, this show is only touring in Switzerland but there are still some Nov/Dec dates left.
http://www.resaplus.ch/resaplus/fr/recherche/5181/default.html?search_string=john williams

Has anyone else attended a similar John Williams tribute concert and wish to share their experience?

deckard24

Lucky you, I'd love to see Williams' music in concert! I was fortunate enough to see the Lord of the Rings concert a few years ago, but sadly Howard Shore wasn't there to conduct, they had a guest conductor for the specific show I saw. But now seeing Williams' music would be on a whole other level! It's too bad though they didn't play anything from the Indy films, but still just to hear some of the great scores you witnessed would've been terrific!

sandiegojones

I had the luxury of seeing John Williams last year in San Diego for a benefit concert. I actually bumped into him as he was going to the elevator and didn't realize who it was until I turned around. He's pretty tall in person!

He did a cool composing demonstration with the opening to The Last Crusade. He showed the entire scene (from Young Indy taking the Cross until he escapes the train through the magic box) without music, and then after they played it again with the orchestra doing the soundtrack LIVE!

He also did Star Wars, Harry Potter, Superman, the Raiders March, Schindler's List and Jurrasic Park.

Moedred

Administrator
Staff member
He conducted at the Hollywood Bowl about 10 years ago, and I taped the excellent live local broadcast. He said something unintentionally funny about Lucas's upcoming Star Wars 1 but I can't remember what it was.

emtiem

Every summer the London Symphony Orchestra gives a free concert of movie themes in the park next to Canada Tower in Canary Wharf in London; there's usually a lot of Williams stuff (naturally enough- they are the orchestra he used for all his big movies: Star Wars, Indy, Superman etc.) and it always sounds amazing.
Raiders hasn't made the playlist in a year or two (it had a space theme this year) but when they did it sounded perfect- they even briefly interviewed a few members who played on the original recordings. It's always a brilliant night and well worth popping along if you can.

Out of This World!: From the Detroit Symphony: " 'Star Trek' Meets 'Star Wars,' " plus the themes from "Jurassic Park," "Close Encounters of the Third Kind" and "Raiders of the Lost Ark." 10:45 a.m. and 8 p.m. Thursday, 8:30 p.m. Friday-Saturday, 3 p.m. Sunday. Orchestra Hall, 3711 Woodward Ave, Detroit. 313-576-5111. www.detroitsymphony.com. Tickets start at $19.

GOLDEN STATE POPS ORCHESTRA:GREAT COMPOSERS:An Evening of John Williams Music

Saturday June 13th, 2009 @ 7:30 PM*

Warner Grand Theatre, 478 West 6th Street in San Pedro

* Doors open at 7:00 PM, Stage side chat begins at 7:30 PM - Concert starts at 8:00 PM

GSPO VIP Tickets are $35

(Includes admission to the concert, a reserved seating section in the Warner Grand Theatre and entrance to the post concert MEET the ARTISTS reception)

General admission Tickets are $25, students, seniors and military with ID is $15.

To buy tickets, please visit the GSPO web site - www.GSPO.com or call 310 433 8774.

Join the Golden State Pops Orchestra as we bring the music of John Williams to life at the Warner Grand Theater on Saturday June 13th, 2009. Come and hear our tribute to Maestro Fox?s favorite film composer; whose music for the film Hook, introduced him to the art of film music, composing and conducting.

Celebrate Fathers Day a week early and hear some of your favorites, and some seldom performed selections from:

- Indiana Jones (The Adventures of Mutt Mutt and Marion's Theme)- Harry Potter (Quidditch, Nimbus 2000, Harry's Wondrous World)
- Hook (Flight to Neverland)
- Angela's Ashes
- Star Wars (The Throne Room, The Flag Parade)
- Schindler's List (the three movement suite, featuring violinist Sam Fischer)
- The Cowboys Overture
and more...

www.gspo.com

GSPO Performance Location:

Historic Warner Grand Theatre

478 W. 6th Street, San Pedro, CA 90731

Single tickets: VIP Tickets - $35, General Admission - $25, Seniors and Students - $15

GSPO Flex Passes: $125 ? buy six get one free! Six tickets ? you decide when you use them ? a $25 savings!

How to Order Tickets:

Call Us ?? (310) 433-8774 ?? Buy Tickets on the Web: www.GSPO.com

Last edited:
Baltimore Symphony Orchestra The Music of John Williams

Saturday, July 25, 2009 at 8:00 p.m.

General Admission - $ 9.00 to $ 18.00

The Baltimore Symphony Orchestra plays the music of Academy Award winner John Williams. By composing the music for numerous blockbusters, Williams created some of the twentieth century?s most recognizable popular music. Join us for a celebration of our greatest contemporary film composer and hear the themes from Star Wars, Indiana Jones, Superman, ET, Jurassic Park and more, under the stars at Oregon Ridge.

John Williams Conducting Tonight May 29th

When I saw him at Avery Fischer Hall he played songs from many other films...

Film Night Boston Pops
$20.00 - $89.00

May 29, 2009 8:00 PM
Symphony Hall
Boston, Massachusetts

Featured Artists

John Williams
Conductor

Stanley Donen
special guest

Ann Hobson Pilot
harp

John Williams and the Boston Pops salute the legendary achievement of the great MGM Musical Director Stanley Donen. The program will highlight America?s favorite musicals drawn from Donen?s distinguished career in film, such as Singin? in the Rain, Seven Brides for Seven Brothers, and Royal Wedding. The Pops honors the man whose creative genius reshaped musicals forever. Donen will appear with the Pops on May 28 and 29. This program also includes ?Star Gazers? from E.T. The Extra-Terrestrial, featuring Pops' harpist Ann Hobson Pilot.

3 p.m. Sunday at Weber Music Hall at the University of Minnesota Duluth.

'American Masters' concert features Cloquet musician

The Twin Ports Wind Orchestra?s spring concert ?American Masters,? features Anthony Peterson of Cloquet, who is studying at Berklee College of Music.

The performance includes the music of John Williams and is at 3 p.m. Sunday at Weber Music Hall at the University of Minnesota Duluth. The concert includes music from the ?Star Wars? trilogy, Schindler?s List,? ?Raiders of the Lost Ark,? ?Saving Private Ryan? and more.

Tickets are $8 for adults, $7 for seniors, $ 5 for students and $3 for children younger than 12. Discounts are available for Duluth Children?s Museum members. Call (218) 726-8208 for more information.

Check out the video at the end...

Nice little intro from John Williams and MARIONS THEME...

Boston Symphony Hall, Boston, MA (Viola Concerto Premiere)
May 26 & 27, 2009
The Boston Symphony Orchestra Conducted by JOHN WILLIAMS

'Film Night'

Hooray For Hollywood (Whiting-Williams)
March from The Adventures of Robin Hood (Korngold)
Suite from Jane Eyre [Lowood - To Thornfield - Reunion]
Flight to Neverland from Hook

INTERMISSION

Concerto for Viola and Orchestra
The Adventures of Mutt from Indiana Jones and the Kingdom Of The Crystal Skull
INTERMISSION

Superman March
Selections from Far and Away [County Galway, June 1892 - The Fighting Donnellys - Joseph and Shannon - Blowin' Off Steam (The Fight) - Finale]
Excerpts from Lawrence of Arabia (Jarre-Karam)
Raiders March
ENCORE

Yoda's Theme from The Empire Strikes Back
Main Theme from Star Wars

Cairo Swordsman still gets a laugh...

Concert by the Golden State Pops Orchestra, with music by John Williams

The concert, at the Warner Grand Theatre in San Pedro, will feature Williams' music for the "Star Wars" films and for the several incarnations that Indiana Jones has had over the years. Saturday June 13th, 2009 @ 7:30 PM*

Warner Grand Theatre, 478 West 6th Street in San Pedro

* Doors open at 7:00 PM, Stage side chat begins at 7:30 PM - Concert starts at 8:00 PM

GSPO VIP Tickets are $35

(Includes admission to the concert, a reserved seating section in the Warner Grand Theatre and entrance to the post concert MEET the ARTISTS reception)

General admission Tickets are $25, students, seniors and military with ID is $15.

To buy tickets, please visit the GSPO web site - www.GSPO.com or call 310 433 8774.

Join the Golden State Pops Orchestra as we bring the music of John Williams to life at the Warner Grand Theater on Saturday June 13th, 2009. Come and hear our tribute to Maestro Fox?s favorite film composer; whose music for the film Hook, introduced him to the art of film music, composing and conducting.

Celebrate Fathers Day a week early and hear some of your favorites, and some seldom performed selections from:

- Indiana Jones (The Adventures of Mutt Mutt and Marion's Theme)- Harry Potter (Quidditch, Nimbus 2000, Harry's Wondrous World)
- Hook (Flight to Neverland)
- Angela's Ashes
- Star Wars (The Throne Room, The Flag Parade)
- Schindler's List (the three movement suite, featuring violinist Sam Fischer)
- The Cowboys Overture
and more...

www.gspo.com

GSPO Performance Location:

Historic Warner Grand Theatre

478 W. 6th Street, San Pedro, CA 90731

Single tickets: VIP Tickets - $35, General Admission - $25, Seniors and Students - $15

GSPO Flex Passes: $125 ? buy six get one free! Six tickets ? you decide when you use them ? a $25 savings!

How to Order Tickets:

Call Us ?? (310) 433-8774 ?? Buy Tickets on the Web: www.GSPO.com

'John Williams Movie Music Spectacular' CHICAGO

Figured you guys in Chicago might be interested...you're all over the screenings thread!(y)

Chicago Symphony Orchestra
John Williams, conductor
Lynn Redgrave and Michael York, narrators

'November 28 & 29, 2009

Ticket availability
This event is currently available as a Subscription Add-on ticket.

2009/10 Symphony Center single tickets will be on sale August 14, 2009.
A TRIBUTE TO DAVID LEAN
Featuring music from Blithe Spirit, The Bridge on the River Kwai, A Passage to India, Oliver Twist, Dr. Zhivago and Lawrence of Arabia

THE MAGIC OF HARRY POTTER
Williams A Grand Suite from Harry Potter

'John Williams and the Music of the Movies' at the HOLLYWOOD BOWL

Friday, September 4, 2009, 8:30 PM
Hollywood Bowl (Map/Directions)
2301 North Highland Avenue
Hollywood, CA 90068

September 4 & 5, 2009

"Magical Movie Music" Saratoga Performing Arts Center

On Aug. 7, Tyzik will be guest conductor with the Philadelphia Orchestra at the Saratoga Performing Arts Center 108 Avenue of the Pnes, Saratoga Springs, NY‎ - (518) 587-3330‎ in a "Magical Movie Music" concert, which will feature selections from "Raiders of the Lost Ark," "The Adventures of Robin Hood," "Casablanca," Disney classics and James Bond films. The SPAC performance is one of a series of orchestra engagements, which start Wednesday and run through Aug. 22.
Although the music is part of pop culture, Tyzik said the performance doesn?t "dumb down" the symphony experience for the audience.

"The music lives up to one of my tenets: Whatever we put on stage has to be on the highest level of musical integrity for its genre. There is great music out there that can be programmed and touch the audience," he said.

As an orchestral professional, Tyzik feels a responsibility to deliver music that will encourage audiences.

"It may just open them up to other opportunities with symphony orchestras," he said.

The conductor believes symphonies have something to offer every audience.

"I mix genres a lot in concerts. It helps build interest and gets people to explore classical music further," he said.

Tyzik worked with the Philadelphia Orchestra last year during its summer season at SPAC, and he was honored to have the opportunity to appear with the internationally celebrated group of musicians.

"It was quite a thrill last summer to stand in front of them and to hear that sound and work with the musicians," he said.

He hopes for event better things this year when he and the group get together for "Magical Movie Music."

"Last summer?s involvement with the Philadelphia Orchestra exceeded my expectations," he said. "I am thrilled to have another great opportunity to make music with that ensemble."

Raiders in Bridgeport, CT

April 17 -- For "Hollywood Classics," Markov's selections will include highlights from Gershwin's "Porgy and Bess," arranged by his father, violinist Albert Markov, and Bizet's "Carmen" Fantasy from the classic 1946 film, "Humoresque," about a discouraged concert violinist (John Garfield) and his patroness (Joan Crawford).

Also on the bill is music from "On the Waterfront," Leonard Bernstein's only film score, and Nino Rota's theme from "The Godfather." Popular composer John Williams will be represented with themes from "Schindler's List," "Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone" and "Raiders of the Lost Ark."

All concerts are at 8 p.m. at the GBS' longtime home, Bridgeport's 1,452-seat Klein auditorium, 910 Fairfield Avenue.

Pops Does Hollywood: Expect to hear selections from Raiders

The Damon Castillo Band will join the San Luis Obispo Symphony onstage Sept. 6 at Avila Beach during its annual Labor Day weekend gala. Castillo’s will be the first rock band to perform with the orchestra.

“We wanted to lighten up the Pops a little bit,” explained music director Michael Nowak, celebrating his 25th anniversary as the symphony’s conductor.

The San Luis Obispo Symphony will perform Hollywoodthemed selections during the first half of Pops by the Sea.

The Damon Castillo Band will be backed by the San Luis Obispo Symphony during the second half of the Pops by the Sea concert on Sept. 6.

POPS BY THE SEA

4 p. m. Sept 6; gates open at 2:30 p. m.

Avila Beach Golf Resort, 6464 Ana Bay Drive, Avila Beach

$15 lawn seating, free for ages 14 and under; party tables vary

543-3533 or www.slosymphony.com
This year’s Pops program pairs soulful rock ’n’ roll with sweeping cinematic soundtracks.

“We’re going to have two different sides to the concert,” Nowak said, “The traditional side and the side where everybody can get the crease out of their pants and boogie down.”

Pops does Hollywood

Now in its 17th year, Pops by the Sea will kick off with a musical tribute to movie magic.

Audiences can expect to hear selections from classic films including “Gone with the Wind” and “The Wizard as Oz,” as well as newer favorites such as “Mamma Mia!,” “Pirates of the Caribbean” and “Raiders of the Lost Ark.”

Composer Henry Mancini gets his due with “Mancini Magic,” which features snippets from “Charade,” “Breakfast at Tiffany’s” and “The Pink Panther.”

For younger fans, there are medleys based on “The Muppets” and the “Harry Potter” movie series.

As Nowak noted, the theme “Pops Does Hollywood” pays tribute to his own Hollywood career.

A violist and conductor, he’s worked on the soundtracks of more than 800 films, including “Star Trek” and “X-Men Origins: Wolverine.” Nowak made his onscreen acting debut this spring as a grumpy Julliard conductor in “The Soloist.”

Liz Summer of San Luis Obispo, co-owner of Central Coast Magazine, will serve as the concert’s mistress of ceremonies.

Normally, the symphony dedicates the second half of Pops to a monumental work of music, such as “1812 Overture,” “Rhapsody in Blue” or “An American in Paris.”

This year, however, the orchestra opted for a twist: rock music.

Rockin’ arrangement

Nowak first heard the Damon Castillo Band in November, when the quartet celebrated the release of its latest album, “Laurel Lane,” at Downtown Brewing Co. in San Luis Obispo.

As he listened, Nowak thought, “This would really sound good with the symphony.” He approached Castillo this spring with a proposal — a joint concert.

“I was honored and excited and overjoyed,” recalled Castillo, whose band recently took top honors at the first-ever New Times Music Awards. “I’ve always been curious … (about having) my songs arranged for an orchestra of that size.”

Nowak and Castillo picked the set list together, focusing on “Laurel Lane” tracks such as “Close Call,” “Secret” and “Surrender.”

Castillo has been working with arranger and Cuesta College saxophone instructor David Becker to adapt his songs — written for guitar, drums, saxophone and keyboard — for a full symphony orchestra.

“It’s just a totally different language,” Castillo said, adding that one song in particular, “Close Call,” “lent itself to a bigger presentation.”

Pairing rock music with symphonic strings, woodwinds, horns and percussion is not unheard of in the world of music.

The San Francisco Symphony teamed up with heavy metal band Metallica in 1999. The Melbourne Symphony Orchestra joined KISS in 2003, and scores of orchestras have performed the music of Led Zeppelin and Pink Floyd.

Here on the Central Coast, the San Luis Obispo Symphony has featured such musical guests as jazz chanteuse Inga Swearingen, steel drum band The Pandoliers and horn player Richard Todd at Pops. A rock band, however, is something new.

On Sept. 6, Castillo and his band mates— keyboardist Kristian Ducharme, drummer Jennings Jacobsen and saxophone player Larry Kim—will perform backed by the full symphony.

“I think the audience will just love it,” Nowak said, praising the Damon Castillo Band. “It just works very well. It’s got good harmonies, good rhythm.”

Aiming for a crowd

In past years, as many as 3,000 people have attended Pops by the Sea.

Concert organizers hope that even more music lovers will flock to Avila Beach to hear the Damon Castillo Band make its Pops debut.

“We figure it’s a way to open up to a lot of new fans,” said Patty Thayer, the symphony’s marketing director.

Besides, she added, the combination of sun and surf tends to draw the same people who’d shy away from symphony concerts at the Performing Arts Center.

Castillo said he’s already seen “an overwhelming response from our fans.”

“It’s going to be a wonderful day of music,” he said.

Reach Sarah Linn at 781-7907.

John Williams: Music from the City of Angels

Friday, October 16, 2009, 8:00 PM
Walt Disney Concert Hall
111 South Grand Avenue
Los Angeles, CA 90012