The Fate of Chattar Lal

Kooshmeister

Nah, he survived. That, anyway. Official explanation now is (as I already said above) he recovered and escaped offscreen.

Benraianajones

Why do they insist on inventing things? I know that if a lever hit my chest at that speed and harshly, my ribs would probably have been shattered. No way would I have been able to get up, loot a palace and go on the run. In my mind he dies, since to me, considering what happens to his ches cavity, would make more sense.

It is almost (but not as bad) as Boba Fett's "escape" from the Sarlac Pitt monster.

Kooshmeister

Well as has been explained, as originally scripted, and possibly filmed, Lal was lively enough after having his ribs crushed to have a fight with Indy over the lava pit. :whip:

Besides, although he does stop crawling away and lie still as though dead or passed out, he's disappeared in later shots. Saying he survived and got away is the simplest way to explain what is otherwise a continuity error created by the deleted fight scene. It's nowhere near as bad as Boba Fett's supposed survival. People can survive having their ribs cracked.

So far, Indy's "Expanded Universe" is fairly conservative compared to that of Star Wars.

Kooshmeister

indyrcks said:
did he not die

Did you not read the entire thread? :rolleyes:

Sorry to be snappy, but when there's all these in-depth discussions and conclusions come to and someone asks the same question at the end as though everything between his or her post and the original post didn't exist, annoys me....

Attila the Professor

Staff member
Kooshmeister said:
Did you not read the entire thread? :rolleyes:

Sorry to be snappy, but when there's all these in-depth discussions and conclusions come to and someone asks the same question at the end as though everything between his or her post and the original post didn't exist, annoys me....

Rightfully so. We have things in thread format instead of randomly scattered posts for a reason.

Moedred

Administrator
Staff member
Dr._Jones_Jr. said:
If anyone has some info hook me up.
That's kind of what I did by merging to an existing thread. :)
I usually announce such edits. Either way it's read, a little embarrassment for not searching is still deserved.

Col. Detritch

I wish we had a drooling Indy emoticon!:p

That would have been the bees-knees baby! It would have bushes ToD higher than ever before! Wow! Plus it would have given Chattar Lal more depth as a villain and a memorable Indy moment worthy of Toht?s death or the mine cart chase!:gun:

I think some work was done on the fight and maybe some filmed. Look at this pic I found!

deleted_scene_21.jpg

:hat:

Last edited:

lao che & sons

It could've been an interesting scene. I hope that on the blu-ray releases they have all of the delted scenes in a special features disc.:D :cool:

lao che & sons

Attila the Professor said:
Huh...never seen that picture before, Col. Where'd you come across it?

(By the way, we can fix your name for you, if you like.)

I found it on IMBD, not sure though where he found his.:confused:

Col. Detritch

Originally Posted by Attila the Professor

(By the way, we can fix your name for you, if you like.)

I found it on IMBd too. But only after originally Google Image searching Chattar Lal Deleted Scene.;)

P.S. You don't know how long it took me to realise I had spelt it Detritch and not Dietrich!:p Attila do I PM you about the name change?:hat:

Attila the Professor

Staff member
Col. Detritch said:
I found it on IMBd too. But only after originally Google Image searching Chattar Lal Deleted Scene.;)

P.S. You don't know how long it took me to realise I had spelt it Detritch and not Dietrich!:p Attila do I PM you about the name change?:hat:

Ah, I see where you found it. Very cool.

As for the name change, just send a private message to Gilles V, the site admin, telling him what you want the new name, capitalization and all. Gilles spends most of his time on the main site, but I'm sure he'll get to it soon enough.

Stoo

Col. Detritch said:

That would have been the bees-knees baby! It would have bushes ToD higher than ever before! Wow! Plus it would have given Chattar Lal more depth as a villain and a memorable Indy moment worthy of Toht?s death or the mine cart chase!:gun:

I think some work was done on the fight and maybe some filmed. Look at this pic I found!
WOW! Great find, Col. Thank you very much for finding & posting this!:hat: "maybe some filmed"? I would say, DEFINITELY! Awesome...
Attila the Professor said:
Judging by the low dpi Benday screens, it looks like the origin is a scan from a late '80s/early '90s magazine. (Possibly, "Starlog" or "Lucasfilm Fan Club"/"Star Wars Insider" or a Euro mag?:confused:)

emtiem

Col. Detritch said:

deleted_scene_21.jpg

:hat:

That's a great find! Thanks for posting- I had no idea about this.

RKORadio

Would Chattar Lal and the others have faced the noose?

Since we know that the Prime Minister of Pankot isn't killed in the film, what do you think happens to him and the other government officials that were working for Mola Ram?

Stoo

RKORadio said:
Since we know that the Prime Minister of Pankot isn't killed in the film,...
Hello again, RKO.:) Whether he survives or not is a matter of debate.

See here: The Fate of Chattar Lal (Maybe your thread could/should be merged into it?)

Anyhow, in the 1800's, Thugs were either hanged or thrown in prison but I'm not sure if the British Indian government was still hanging criminals c.1935. This needs further investigation. That said, we don't know if Chattar Lal personally killed anybody or not, which would have a definite bearing on his punishment.