TheRaider.net

Go Back   The Raven > Off Topic > Open Discussion
User Name
Password

Old 01-27-2008, 07:05 PM   #1
AngieAki
IndyFan

"That's So Gay" Is a Dangerous Thing to Say

Saying "that's gay" is saying that something is wrong with being gay. I am usually not all *****y about political correctness but as people kill themselves or are killed everyday because they are gay, it is dangerous to use such a term.
AngieAki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2008, 07:09 PM   #2
WillKill4Food
IndyFan

What event started this thread?
WillKill4Food is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2008, 07:14 PM   #3
sunshinestate1992
IndyFan

as long as you say gay as stupid or happy

not as homosexual cuase theres nothing wrong with that its ur choice

and dont say fag or faggot

no one uses as it as a smoke anymore
sunshinestate1992 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2008, 07:18 PM   #4
WillKill4Food
IndyFan

Again, what brought about this thread?!
Old 01-27-2008, 07:24 PM   #5
sunshinestate1992
IndyFan

does it matter?
Old 01-27-2008, 07:31 PM   #6
WillKill4Food
IndyFan

To me it does!
I don't want to incriminate anyone, I just want to know what context this was in.
Old 01-27-2008, 08:08 PM   #7
monkey

Gay people shouldn't worry about the expression: "That's so Gay".

Neither should people insult or try to marginalize Gay people.

One of my pet peeves is anti-gay hatred.

I don't like it.

I have friends who are Gay.

From the beginning of time there have been Gay people. There will always be Gay people. They are your brothers and sisters. You can hate them if you want, but it is stupid and counterproductive to do so.

To the flamboyant Gay person I would say: put away your tu-tu, and don't march in the parade.

To the Gay hater I would say: shut up and get used to it. They're here, they're queer, and their not going to disappear.

Personally, I wish there were more Gay men in the world, because that would mean more girls for me.
monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2008, 08:12 PM   #8
loganbush
IndyFan

What would I say about this thread: That's so gay
loganbush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2008, 08:22 PM   #9
AngieAki
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by WillKill4Food
To me it does!
I don't want to incriminate anyone, I just want to know what context this was in.
A discussion with a friend.
Old 01-27-2008, 08:26 PM   #10
ResidentAlien

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngieAki
A discussion with a friend.

It would have been better left between the two of you.

Nothing more annoying than self-righteous commentary. You won't change anything complaining on a message board.

Words are just a jumble of letters and only have the connotation people give them. Most people aren't connoting some derogatory sentiment with the use of the word "gay."

Hell, I don't typically use the term; it sounds base. But a message board isn't the place to spout out politically correct hogwash. It just comes off as smug superiority.
ResidentAlien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2008, 08:30 PM   #11
No Ticket
IndyFan

This thread is gay.

I have friends who are gay, and they use the expression themselves. It doesn't bother them. And their opinion is, any homosexuals it does bother should just get over it. It's just a slang term, completely unrelated to being gay. Which gay also means happy anyway.

It's the equivalent of "lame." Half the time when it's used, it's connection to homosexuality isn't even there.
No Ticket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2008, 08:42 PM   #12
barranca
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by salussolia
as long as you say gay as stupid or happy

Let gay people decide what they take offence at, Its like saying oh 'black people shouldn't take offence at...' the general public have NO right to decide what others take offence at. Especially people who have been marginalised by society and are JUST starting to fet a little respect back.
barranca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2008, 08:44 PM   #13
barranca
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkey
Gay people shouldn't worry about the expression: "That's so Gay.
And having 'gay friends' dosen't put you in a position to judge or to start to have a clue what their experience is like or to speak for them.
Old 01-27-2008, 08:46 PM   #14
sunshinestate1992
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by barranca
Let gay people decide what they take offence at, Its like saying oh 'black people shouldn't take offence at...' the general public have NO right to decide what others take offence at. Especially people who have been marginalised by society and are JUST starting to fet a little respect back.
i was kidding.
Old 01-27-2008, 08:46 PM   #15
Gear
IndyFan

Yeah, I agree with No Ticket. I have gay friends who use "gay" as a slang but it doesnt mean their gay haters. I use the word "retarded" as a slang sometimes however I dont mean it to hurt people. I try not to use "gay" in the same context but sometimes it just comes out. An' you know me Angie I dont have a problem with gays , lesbians, bi's, retards, ect.

Hey, just be like Cartmen; instead of using "thats gay!" or "Youre such a retard!" say: "AWWW!! THATS TITS!"

Gear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2008, 08:50 PM   #16
monkey

Quote:
And having 'gay friends' dosen't put you in a position to judge or to start to have a clue what their experience is like or to speak for them.

I don't judge. I simply say that Gay people should not worry about the expression "That's so Gay".

That's it. It's that simple.

I speak for one person, ...MYSELF.

Whether I have Gay friends or not doesn't mean anything. I still say what I say.

Maybe you shouldn't judge me.
Old 01-27-2008, 08:52 PM   #17
barranca
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by gear guardian
An' you know me Angie I dont have a problem with gays , lesbians, bi's, retards, ect

I sincerely hope your joking,when you use those terms and even if you are its in incredibly POOR taste
Old 01-27-2008, 09:09 PM   #18
Gear
IndyFan

Quote:
I sincerely hope your joking,when you use those terms and even if you are its in incredibly POOR taste

Barranca, I understand where your coming from. Basic respect and comon curtacy are things everyone deserves but being overly politicaly correct is just rediculious. People are so easily offended and often times by things they shouldn't be over. People should just practice using specific words when the time is right; there's a time and a place for everything. If I'm with my friends and happen to use a slang 99% of the time they'll know I'm just joking especialy the ones I've known the longest or know the best.

What is the "poor taste" your referring to? Alright, mentaly retarded people. I didn't mean to offend anyone and I thought I made that clear.

Anyway, I think those and other slangs are best used in friendly company. I can understand how outside people would be offended. I guess the lesson is be careful of your words.
Old 01-27-2008, 09:23 PM   #19
barranca
IndyFan

I hate overkill with pc'ness too, but one has to realise that if anyone is going to gain respect,then that sort of language has to end. I'm sure you wouldn't use some of the more 'colourful' terms to describe various ethnic minorities or religious groups.
And in the same vein, these and other 'gay' terms have to be disposed of too. The 'majority' out there in this world I know are feeling marginalised themselves, with all the minority groups gradually gaining more rights. It makes them feel like their loosing theirs.
Things will I believe balance out eventually, but for now there needs to be an 'Armistice' of sorts with these terms. So a new generation can grow up unfamiliar with them and be not inclined to use them.
Old 01-27-2008, 09:35 PM   #20
Gear
IndyFan

I agree and thats why I say that there best to be used in friendly company-not in polite society.
Old 01-27-2008, 10:51 PM   #21
AngieAki
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by No Ticket
This thread is gay.

I have friends who are gay, and they use the expression themselves. It doesn't bother them. And their opinion is, any homosexuals it does bother should just get over it. It's just a slang term, completely unrelated to being gay. Which gay also means happy anyway.

It's the equivalent of "lame." Half the time when it's used, it's connection to homosexuality isn't even there.

But between most kids at my school it is. Homophobia is rampant and that is a favorite slang term of many. To a kid that isn't sure of their sexuality or is gay that is hurtful-maybe I am the only one who understands this concept. *sigh*
Old 01-27-2008, 10:57 PM   #22
sunshinestate1992
IndyFan

Quote:
But between most kids at my school it is. Homophobia is rampant and that is a favorite slang term of many. To a kid that isn't sure of their sexuality or is gay that is hurtful-maybe I am the only one who understands this concept. *sigh*
no i get it.
Old 01-27-2008, 11:00 PM   #23
metalinvader
IndyFan

metalinvader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2008, 11:33 PM   #24
Niteshade007
IndyFan

Quote:

I understand where you are coming from, AngieAki, and I think that bigotry and hatred is wrong, and I of course don't condone it. However, I think the phrase itself "it's so gay" or "that's so gay" isn't used to demean those who are homosexuals intentionally. It is different from some other unfortunate slang terms that have been around (I'm thinking of a particularly nasty word that starts with an "n"), where the point of the word was the demean and ridicule those in a minority. That particular phrase was used by both adults and children, and was used solely to "put people in their place." Phrases with the word "gay" are used by teenagers, both heterosexual and homosexual. Also, it is a phrase used in jest, not in a cruel way to make those who are gay feel bad about themselves (unless of course your experience has been different from mine, which is of course possible). I personally don't use the phrase, but I also find it an incredibly idiotic phrase. I can find far better words to describe how I'm feeling at the time. However, if someone uses the phrase, I don't feel that they have said something particularly awful.

Last edited by Niteshade007 : 01-27-2008 at 11:51 PM.
Niteshade007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2008, 11:45 PM   #25
monkey

Well said Niteshade.

I think that we all need to be a little less sensitive.