"The Triangle" on the SciFi Channel

DaFedora

For those of you who are also into sci-fi, secret government schemes, closely-guarded confidential behind-the-doors stuff (Nellis AFB, Guantanamo), and soforth: there was this new 3-part miniseries that was launched somewhere around december last year, from 'Independence Day' and 'Stargate'-producer Dean Devlin, called "The Triangle" - it's as you can guess about the Bermudan triangle, and the story synopsis is to be read here : www.scifi.com/triangle

The cast is pretty well assembled: Sam Neill (Jurassic Park), Catherine Bell (the sexy Marine lawyer from JAG series), Eric Stolz (Memphis Belle and other) and Lou Diamond Phillips.

I downloaded parts 1 and 3 already and saw part 1 entirely - absolutely love the plot, and indeed it allows your fascination and intrigue to be led by an appetite for the truth and even the paranormal / supernatural...

Parallel universe / time-space interlapses... it's all there...
It truly creeped me out, and I haven't even compared it to Lost (I didn't bother to follow that series though for some odd reason)...

Thoughts and comments ?
It's a forum for some reason

Last edited:
Given that one can draw a 'triangle' of similar dimensions around ANY chunk of ocean and record as many (per capita) 'strange events', I find the whole "Bermuda Triangle" thing more than a little yawn enducing...

Jay R. Zay

ClintonHammond said:
Given that one can draw a 'triangle' of similar dimensions around ANY chunk of ocean and record as many (per capita) 'strange events', I find the whole "Bermuda Triangle" thing more than a little yawn enducing...

this is true. however, except for stoltz and neill there isn't much about this series that seems worth watching anyway. and neither of them really is a mark of quality of a movie - just remember butterfly effect (stoltz) or event horizon (neill). nice performance of both of them but the movies were rather crappy nevertheless.

There are quite a few roles I really like either Stoltz or Neil in.... (Stoltz was great in Mask... and Killing Zoe.... Neil... In The Mouth Of Madness... and Dirty Deeds)

But neither Event Horizon, or Butterfly Effect rate even as high as crappy in my book....

DaFedora

I must agree, I also found "Event Horizon" the most crappiest film out there...

the only thing that was near-to-smart was the 'folding space' theory, but I was completely disturbed with the idea that some people in Hollywood are so braindead to even let this movie come near to production...

Well, I can't say anything about the films you all mention where Stolz and Neill are in ... I only know I did like Stoltz as a character (although short-lived role) even in Anaconda alongside Jon Voight... he seems to know to give his characters a deeper edge of scepsis and a sort of sophisticated down-to-earth stoïcism (I spotted regularly further in Homicide: life on the street, Anaconda) and errr... (*cough*-Voight ruled as villain-*cough*)

Although I can't assess Stoltz' acting prestige overall (haven't seen the Butterfly effect...) and I sure as hell can only judge Neill from JP, Hunt for Red october, Bicentennial Man (a story I truly admired because of the sort of fantasy tale about 'rights to and values in life'-philosophy and 'the other' ) and this Triangle series alone... which is not representative.

*Sigh*... I truly hope for a release of George's Indiana Jones in/& history series (on dvd plz Mr. Lucas...) and blaze us off our feet...

Although this thought may seem far-fetched, but I feel this is like The X-files without an overdue of psychological and fact-overhauling elements, more fieldwork, less latent suspense...

Jay R. Zay

ClintonHammond said:
But neither Event Horizon, or Butterfly Effect rate even as high as crappy in my book....

well, both movies are potentially great. event horizon is great for a long time but the end is just terrible and makes the whole movie ridiculous.

same as for butterfly effect. a movie, where even *i* notice the giant black plot holes at the first time i watch it, must be horrible. they made the whole "time travel" thing so complex that they seem to have lost grip at their own logic. at the point in the prison, the main character does something that is so unbelievably far away from the logic of the movie that i didn't trust my eyes. and that's not a minor goof, it rather shows that the filmmakers were too stupid for their own plot - and this is weak.

that's the first reason why i dislike "butterfly effect". the second one is, that the movie has nothing to do with a butterfly effect. it's rather quite the opposite.

"butterfly effect" means (in this context) "minor changes in the past could result in radical historical changes". for example - kill a butterfly in 1930 and we might have had a nuclear war by now.

but the movie never shows, how much minor changes in the past affect the present. it rather shows that great changes leave great parts of the present untouched.

for example: he gets a scar from a cigarette in one of his "flash-backs". if this was an example for a "butterfly effect", you would expect that his entire life changed radically because of this detail. but no - it didn't change a bit, except for the fact that he now has a scar.

and the only times when his present life changes radically are when he changed the past radically - and sometimes not even then. this is a very simple way of telling such a story - and it is wrapped in something as complex as the real "butterfly effect".

this is why i think the movies is crap. the movie is simple, not very imaginative and - even worse - it is done carelessly. goofs like the one i mentioned simply MUST not happen.

no fan would say "well, everybody can make mistakes" if indy accidentally (!) appeared as a nazi in some scenes. would they?

indifan101

ClintonHammond said:
There are quite a few roles I really like either Stoltz or Neil in.... (Stoltz was great in Mask... and Killing Zoe.... Neil... In The Mouth Of Madness... and Dirty Deeds)

I thought Neil was a good Damien in Omen 4 Revelation.