Lara better than Indy?

Indypunk10

I recentley was reading an article that stated something that basicaslly said that Lara Croft from Tomb Raider is more" exiciting, sexier, and i many ways better than Indiana Jones." I don't know about the rest of you but I don't think Lara Croft is even close to Indy. Indy was the original, he was the first to outrun booby traps, beat the hell out of the baddies, get the girl, and just be a bad@$$ in general. Not to mention while teaching. I saw the first Tomb Raider and I wasn't impressed at all. Lara is just a rich chick and ended up having an archeologist. All she has going for her is her sex appeal!!! Please let me know Im not alone in my convictions. Indiana Jones is the best and always will be!!!!!

Yanar

my friend, you have earned my respect. Tomb Raider is a horrible rip-off

and if there's 1 thing I hate most:

It's rip-offs

bob

Well Indy is hardly a completely original character!

OK Tomb Raider stole some of the Indy characteristics esps in the early games but back then it was a real step forward as before then action games didnt really have story lines or any real cultural consciousness which arguably only Tomb Raider tapped into.

Of course Lara Croft will not stand upto Indy as she in the computer games lacks a personality beyond erm breasts and she was never designed to be a cinematic character in the way that Indy was. I really think that this Lara bashing is a little immature as she does not pose any threat to Indy and really the only reason people are aganist her is becuase the series has been very succsessful

Attila the Professor

Staff member
I quite agree with bob. Okay, we "all" agree that Lara is "inferior" to Indiana Jones, who is supposedly a more original character. It's was vaguely (and I mean vaguely) entertaining at first, but it has become a bit much. Oh well, we have to expect topic repition, it doesn't really bother me.

What I find so entertaining is the notion that Indy is a completely original character while anything that even resembles him that was made after 1981 is a rip-off.

Venture

Bear in mind the generation, gents. I'm sure many on this site equate ROTLA with the beginning of creation.

Pale Horse

Staff member
Cain Bear in mind the generation, gents. I'm sure many on this site equate ROTLA with the beginning of creation.

Actually any fan of this site will agree with me that Indy IV will definiatly represent the beginning of Creation. :D

Magda

To put it bluntly, the opinion of Indyfans is biased when it comes to comparing Lara Croft and Indiana Jones. I personally think that each character has its own qualities to contribute to mainstream entertainment. Indiana Jones represents heroism, intelligence, and masculinity while Lara Croft represents guts, today's ever-changing technology, and the empowerment of women.

[Edited by Ameera on 08-01-2003 at 04:44 am]

Indyologist

Nicely put, Ameera! You ARE a warrior princess! I think a female-type Indiana Jones would be just as awesome as our male hero.

Of course, Ms. Croft is just a character in a video game and her character has not evolved as deeply as Indy's has. It's because Indy's character has grown and evolved deeper psychological dimensions that we love him so much. He has truly come full circle as a character. In ROTLA, he was a determined tough guy. It defined his thinking, his style. We saw a little of a love relationship. In TOD, we saw Indy's compassion-- comforting a child, concern about a nowheresville village and its' people. In LC, we peeled back the skin of Indy's pysche in his fears and with his father. Speaking as a writer, evolving is what a good character is supposed to do. I'm hoping that IV will define him even more and shed some light on more of Indy's mystery, particularly in finding lasting love. Got a little off-track here, but I gotta be me! ;)