What are KOTCS's best action scenes?

The Man

graz said:
LOL! You have to admit there was nothing in Indy 4 to match Segals hilarious pat-a-cake fighting style that he has demonstrated in recent films! :D

An inspiration to mankind...

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/ZDgxmhApOo8&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/ZDgxmhApOo8&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object> (y)

Bvance

The Man said:
An inspiration to mankind...

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/ZDgxmhApOo8&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/ZDgxmhApOo8&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object> (y)

WOW, it kind of reminded me of the setting in a bar in Nepal somewhere. Just kidding. I have never seen that before and it was, well....how do I put this......very......interesting.

Fight scenes don't get much better than that! :p

Indy1986

so i think that the best scene is the motor bike chase scene no cgi like the jungle scene all real stunt work and it looks amazing

The Man

The films most telling failure is its lack of more action-orientated, homicidal monkeys. Mutt's jungle-buddies just won't cut it. The simians seen below would have made easy work of the Lady Comrade...

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/IAzbra5UgPo&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/IAzbra5UgPo&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object> (y)

"They're organizing!!!"

Bvance

Hey 'The Man', I like your style.

I'd have to say my favorite Indy 4 scene was when they went over the waterfalls.

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/vKSVawd0ffM&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/vKSVawd0ffM&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>
warning, lady drops the F-bomb, watch at own risk.
:D

indyrcks

I love the hanger 51 sequence the way Indy does it it is amazing and when he goes back into that truck or vehicle and then he says damn I thought that was closer that was so awesome and so was that rocket car sequence:whip:

kongisking

I have a quick question, guys. Remember that moment during the rocket sled fight where Indy wraps his thighs around Dovchenko's neck, presumably with the intention of strangling the Russian into unconciousness? What is this move called? In my adventure novel, I have a character use it at some point, as I thought it was so cool in KOTCS. Does this move even have a name, or was it just a made-up thing by the filmmakers'?

Cole

Jonesy9906753 said:
i sank in my seat each waterfall,it was definitley not comedy to me.
Harrison Ford's reactions is what makes the waterfall scene.

"Oh nuts. He means.......two!" when he frantically points.

And then the mundane "three" on the last one before he grabs his hat.

It's all those little expressions and reactions that make Harrison Ford Indiana Jones and why he's so great. He slipped back into the role like he never left it.

Cole

agentsands77 said:
Well, to be fair, the exceedingly outlandish and cartoony jungle chase wasn't really like anything from RAIDERS.
Spielberg's visuals style, the furious momentum of the scene, and the overall well-executed craftsmanship is the same.

Is it "sillier?" Sure, maybe.......but 'Raiders of the Lost Ark' also featured Marion running into a building and bopping a guy in the head with a frying pan Looney Tunes-style.

That's not to say I hate that scene - I love it..........I'm just pointing out the lighthearted spirit that resides within these films.

Mutt getting tangled up and swinging in the vines is simply a whimsical moment in a great adventure sequence. I think audiences are just cynical.

JP Jones

Cole said:
Spielberg's visuals style, the furious momentum of the scene, and the overall well-executed craftsmanship is the same.

Is it "sillier?" Sure, maybe.......but 'Raiders of the Lost Ark' also featured Marion running into a building and bopping a guy in the head with a frying pan Looney Tunes-style.

That's not to say I hate that scene - I love it..........I'm just pointing out the lighthearted spirit that resides within these films.

Mutt getting tangled up and swinging in the vines is simply a whimsical moment in a great adventure sequence. I think audiences are just cynical.
Thanks Cole that's excatly what I Think

Darth Vile

Cole said:

If you break the jungle chase down into it's key components, it's very much in the same style as the truck chase from Raiders, and the tank chase from TLC. Further more, some unnecessary CGI aside; the jungle chase is extremely intricate and clever. Just look at the first couple of minutes of the chase (as in move by move) i.e. where Indy and co. are exchanging vehicles (or the section where Indy has Mac in a headlock). It's infinitely more complex/clever than any set piece within The Dark Knight or Iron Man (to name a couple of contemporary competitors). Unfortunately the monkeys and vine swings sort of take us out of the moment somewhat. But apart from that, it's classic Indiana Jones/Spielberg action ;)

Cole

To me, the use of digital enhancement is justified for numerous of reasons.

One, it was not possible to film in a real virgin jungle.

Two, they did shoot on location in Hawaii - with real moving vehicles and everything. So it's not a completely digitally created world like a Star Wars thing or something.

Three, simply put, it looks astonishingly realistc.

AndyLGR

The chase in the warehouse I like, in particular the running across the crates and the whip swinging scenes. :whip:

In fact looking back on the movie I think the whole opening, up to the mushroom cloud shot is great. I even accept the fridge scene more than I did when I first saw it.

I think a lot of the action secens in this movie prove that no one does it quite like Indy.

Darth Vile

Cole said:
To me, the use of digital enhancement is justified for numerous of reasons.

One, it was not possible to film in a real virgin jungle.

Two, they did shoot on location in Hawaii - with real moving vehicles and everything. So it's not a completely digitally created world like a Star Wars thing or something.

Three, simply put, it looks astonishingly realistc.

Yep - I think the shame of it is, is that I don't think the jungle chase actually needed any CGI intervention. I think audiences would have accepted an already cut path through the jungle foilage... But I agree that much more is made of the use of CGI than is warranted. For most parts, it's unnoticeable.

Cole

It would've been much easier for them to leave the footage as is. I don't think it would've been too convincing as an exotic S. American jungle though.

Cole said:

I've got to say getting tangled up in the vines is one thing...monkeys live up there, NO PROBLEM.

If Mutt had seen the monkeys do it and then monkey see monkey do...still ok.

It's just that he was going from vine to vine like he was spiderman...and that wasn't fun to watch.

Now...if he had gotten to the end of his first swing and reached out to continue but flew out of control and fell, (like his old man did in the beginning of raiders), it would have been more believeable, fun, and not so distracting.

Cole

Then it seems like you would have a problem with Indiana Jones - a professor and archeologist - who can do outlandish stunts like dragging himself underneath a car travelling 50+ mph and managing to get back to the driver's seat.

Kinda makes swinging on vines look like a cakewalk.

In any event, these are movies based on the action-adventure serials of the 30's and 40's where these kind of stunts are commonplace. It's exciting. It requires some sort of suspension of belief. If you can't grasp this concept, I can't do it for you.

Cole said:
Kinda makes swinging on vines look like a cakewalk.

...and I think you've struck on it, though unwittingly.

The truck stunt LOOKED tough. It looked raw, dirty, painfull and although I don't think it looked 50+ miles and hour it looked difficult.

Mutt looked like he had just figured out how to breathe air...

My whole point was to make it APPEAR difficult. Maybe you should get your hand off Mutt's junk and try to grasp that!

Cole said:
In any event, these are movies based on the action-adventure serials of the 30's and 40's where these kind of stunts are commonplace. It's exciting. It requires some sort of suspension of belief.
The stunts in Raiders left Indy bloody and beaten. It's a good thing the guards at the Gate were standing still, cause a truckload with automatic weapons couldn't have hit them if they were searching for a thought.