Calling all video editors and effects artists

Dayne

Mainly, on a personal level, Spalko's demise was very anti-climactic. This was a big let-down I had with the movie and I hope you're able to make it a bit more brutal/gruesome in-line with Raiders. I'm totally interested in seeing the final product and hope you get a pro or two on board soon, because as much as I do enjoy KOTCS it can always be improved. Good luck! (y)

indyjones2131

Thanks, Dayne. We had a badass Special fx guy working on the climax. Good stuff. Really good stuff. Not sure where it stands right now though...

Perhilion

If this thing's still going down, I have a suggestion:
Right after Mutt sees the monkeys swinging and sees Indy and Spalko driving along the cliff, cut to the chase scene. I think the whole "Tarzan" bit would work better if we didn't see Mutt swinging with the monkeys until he comes out of the jungle and lands on Spalko.

DocWhiskey

Perhilion said:
Right after Mutt sees the monkeys swinging and sees Indy and Spalko driving along the cliff, cut to the chase scene. I think the whole "Tarzan" bit would work better if we didn't see Mutt swinging with the monkeys until he comes out of the jungle and lands on Spalko.

Yeah, when I got KOTCS on DVD and was thinking of a possible reedit that was the 1st thing I thought. That way it doesn't necessarily change the origial (Mutt DOES swing with the monkeys) it just makes it less silly.

emtiem

Perhilion said:

That's a decent thought. He could see them swinging and thus get the idea, but it might offend people less not to see him doing it.

Darth Vile

Yep... I'd agree. There is only really one shot for me that's "out there". Eradicate that and the scene would improve three-fold.

Darth Vile said:
Eradicate that and the scene would improve three-fold.
Yep... that's specifically because Lucas and Spielberg insisted on the production to undermine the movie from within. :rolleyes:

I can't see it myself. To be honest..."improve" is the wrong choice of word I think.

I don't know that you can really say that, in all honesty. They'll be more inclined I think, if done somewhat subtly.

But of course my sentiments are not an excuse for them to not at least try making a "better" movie.

emtiem

Rocket Surgeon said:
Yep... that's specifically because Lucas and Spielberg insisted on the production to undermine the movie from within. :rolleyes:

I can't see it myself. To be honest..."improve" is the wrong choice of word I think.

You were saying how a cut would make it grittier to your eyes earlier in the thread. Interesting how your point of view appears to change according to what DV says.

Stoo

indyjones2131 said:
So you COULD be of good use, but you won't. LOL. That's cool. I understand where you're coming from, but I just don't exactly agree. It was a punch to the gut seeing KOTCS in the theater. I had plans to see it all day with different friends and family, but just saw it that once and went home to watch Raiders. I think it's cool that y'all can accept the faults of the movie or even not think there are faults, but I see a chance here to make a film that FOR ME and OTHERS deserves to stand beside the other 3. Might this not work? Might we still be left with the same or even something worse? Absolutely, but regardless it's a fun project and it actually helps you learn a lot about movie making in general and even gives you a new respect for those who made this one. To be clear there is a good bit of good stuff in this film - mainly the first half. I don't mind they used aliens - I just don't think they were used well. I don't mind that Indy had a son - I just think he and the rest of the gang took too much time from Indy doing his thing. I don't mind that it's goofy in spots - I just think it needs to be balanced with more of a sense of peril. Hopefully these proposed changes will do that.
The thing is, as many criticisms as one may have about "Skull" there could be an equal amount of criticisms of this fan edit. For instance, I'm partial to the idea of switching the "part time" line and includiing the "not as easy as it used to be" part but whoever came up with adding images of Oxley, Marion, etc. during the interrogation scene needs to have their head examined...(and I sure hope to G_d it wasn't you, 2131)!:p Just look at how many people already disagree with the changes in this thread alone. Anyway, 2131, I don't want to be a buzzkill. If it makes you guys happy, then...knock yourselves out!:)
Perhilion said:
Already been done. Some sad sack actually made an edit just like this and posted it here at The Raven.
Darth Vile said:
Eradicate that and the scene would improve three-fold.
Eradicate that and the scene would not exist.
Laserschwert said:
Here are a few clips that I've worked on (which are all just WIP as well):
Job very well done, Laserschwert but there is no way in Hell that Henry Sr. would wear an open-necked shirt like that. You might as well go with the "Zardoz" photo!:D The newspaper shot looks great but how does this make it better? There is nothing in the headlines that refers to Indy (or am I missing something?)

Stoo said:
Job very well done, Laserschwert but there is no way in Hell that Henry Sr. would wear an open-necked shirt like that. You might as well go with the "Zardoz" photo.:D The newspaper shot looks great but how does this make it better? There is nothing in the headlines that refers to Indy (or am I missing something?)
The newspaper content is only a placeholder... of course there would have to be a head line on it referring to Indy's reputation being restored. This is just a test, how to incorporate the newspaper... changing its content isn't that much of an issue now.

The Connery-photo is basically just a placeholder as well... but I wanted an image that was NOT taken from "Last Crusade", so there's still room for improvement. But I like Marcus' new photo better.

Stoo

Laserschwert said:
The Connery-photo is basically just a placeholder as well... but I wanted an image that was NOT taken from "Last Crusade", so there's still room for improvement. But I like Marcus' new photo better.
O.K. I understand (and you *did* say it was a work in progress). For some uber fan-wankery, you should use a shot of Lloyd Owen from Young Indy!:p Do it!:whip:

indyjones2131

"The thing is, as many criticisms as one may have about "Skull" there could be an equal amount of criticisms of this fan edit. For instance, I'm partial to the idea of switching the "part time" line and includiing the "not as easy as it used to be" part but whoever came up with adding images of Oxley, Marion, etc. during the interrogation scene needs to have their head examined...(and I sure hope to G_d it wasn't you, 2131)! Just look at how many people already disagree with the changes in this thread alone. Anyway, 2131, I don't want to be a buzzkill. If it makes you guys happy, then...knock yourselves out! "

Stoo, we WELCOME criticisms of the fan edit. We're trying to listen to the fans and just want the edit to be the best it can be. Are we saying the movie will magically become Ocsar caliber? Nope. But what we are doing is trying things - some drastic and some subtle - that could at least improve it. Even something as little as using the line delivery form the trailer contributes to making this movie just a little bit better. As for the visions of Ox and Marion in the Spell of the Skull vision, no that wasn't me. But what it was was an attempt to try something a bit daring and explore a few different ideas.

"Already been done. Some sad sack actually made an edit just like this and posted it here at The Raven."

Do you have a link to that? I'd love to see what this so-called sad sack did.

"Eradicate that and the scene would not exist."

I like cutting the monkeys altogether and skip the cliffside chase. Nothing against the cliff, but just hate the vines and monkeys. Just my opinion.

indyjones2131

I've decided to do the edit myself since no one more talented and experienced has spared me the embarrassment. :) I taught myself Premiere and had a decent edit going for a while until my computer crashed and I lost everything. But I think I can at least get a rough cut done that hopefully someone with the real knowhow can then polish to a shine. Like I said I won't be happy with anything that isn't seamless.

Oh and Laserschwert is a badass. Just had to toss that in...(y) :hat:

emtiem said:
You were saying how a cut would make it grittier to your eyes earlier in the thread. Interesting how your point of view appears to change according to what DV says.

I'm glad you're keeping track...maybe you'll recognize something a little more obvious then.

Darth Vile

Rocket Surgeon said:

I don't know that you can really say that, in all honesty. They'll be more inclined I think, if done somewhat subtly.

But of course my sentiments are not an excuse for them to not at least try making a "better" movie.

That's because movies ceased to exist after Raiders of the Lost Ark. And I say that as a man who is old enough to legally buy alcohol and who fought in Nam :rolleyes:

Besides, I know someone on set who said they actually saw Spielberg yawn. Conclusive proof that he's just an old tired hack who made KOTCS purely for the cash... Cue RS trite Latin phrase and smilie. Falsus in uno, falsus in omnibus :dead:

Darth Vile said:
And I say that as a man who fought in Nam

Ah...context.

Yawn...(love that one), one of the most intelligent things to issue from your keyboard, EVER!

It's not lukewarm or indifferent like most of your posts!

Thanks.

Stoo

indyjones2131 said:
As for the visions of Ox and Marion in the Spell of the Skull vision, no that wasn't me. But what it was was an attempt to try something a bit daring and explore a few different ideas.
Gotcha, but to me that is going wa-a-a-ay too far. At that point, you may as well make your own movie. As a said before, I like the idea of adding deleted scenes but throwing in new elements such as this is almost akin to painting a moustache on the "Mona Lisa" (not that "Skull" is held in such high regard as that piece of work). Anyway, I understand that the project is for fun & a good learning experience but you can tell whoever it is that he should add his signature on the wall of Oxley's cell in the asylum 'cause that's where he belongs.:D
indyjones2131 said:
Do you have a link to that? I'd love to see what this so-called sad sack did.
To my embarassment, it was someone I really like so I shouldn't have shot my mouth off like that.:eek: In any case, I found the thread but the video had been removed!:( Here's the link all the same: Edited Monkey Attack
indyjones2131 said:
I taught myself Premiere and had a decent edit going for a while until my computer crashed and I lost everything.
That bites, 2131/Lafitte Jr. Back-ups, baby, back-ups! Do you have an external hard drive? They are life-savers and a very wise investment.
indyjones2131 said:
Oh and Laserschwert is a badass. Just had to toss that in...
"I'll buy that for a dollar!" He certainly is.:hat: