Why Do We Love Temple of Doom?

Lon

I love Temple of Doom because it doesn't try to be a carbon copy of Raiders of the Lost Ark the way Last Crusade does. The character is taken and put through a completely different type of adventure. Even though the adventure is different in style and tone, it still fits the character. Sequels always need to up things a notch and ToD certainly does that.

indy_123

I loved the temple of dooom because it was my first Indiana Jones movie I ever seen and because it's sooo different then the others! I think what makes this movie kick@$$$ is because of Willie, she is the best in this movie and shorty he's funny to, like when he says the funniest stuff like...

Shorty: "Hey Dr. Jones no time for love, we got company"'

This is why I love TOD because it's funny. Another reason I like TOD is because of the storyline, it's so different and interesting. This is why I love TOD sooooo much :)

Violet

Moderator Emeritus
Like ToD, hate Willie. Spielberg and Lucas should have kept to the idea of Marion being in all the films with Indy. :whip:

monstera

i just love it. and as a pulp fan, i love all the classic pulp elements in it. it's more hardcore pulp than the other flicks and that gives me a nerdgasm.

Indyologist

Violet Indy said:
Like ToD, hate Willie. Spielberg and Lucas should have kept to the idea of Marion being in all the films with Indy. :whip:

Now how DID I know you would say something like that, VI? :rolleyes:

monstera said:
i just love it... that gives me a nerdgasm.

Nerdgasm? LOL! Never heard that one before! Sounds like somethings that happens to tekkie-types when they get a new Blackberry!

I know this is off topic, but I heard an amazing new word on one of those daytime-court-tv shows. The defendent said his ex-girlfriend went "oprahcratic" on him.

Judge says, "oprahcratic? Like the Oprah show?"

"Yeah," the guy says, "she was trying to be all nice and everything, but she was really controlling everything in the background."

I guess it's like being a closet control freak but you try to hide the fact from others by being nice. LOL! That's one for a slang dictionary!

Last edited:

Rod The Raider

Temple of Doom was a great bridge between Raiders and Crusade. It balances out the three films quite nicely. For me Shortround isn't annoying, he's funny. Willie doesn't get on my nerves either because she's supposed to be like that, she's supposed to be the opposite of Marion. Willie was the stereotypical damsel in distress screaming all the time, it was an intentional characterisation.

Last Crusade has a lot more humour than the first and second in my opinion. Marcus is a prime example. He's a very serious character in Raiders and in Crusade he's a bumbling fool. This doesn't annoy me. He's supposed to be like that when he's out of his own environment. It was part of his characterisation.

Last Crusade has more humour because that was Spielberg's intentions. After the dark storyline of Doom he wanted a much lighter tone for Crusade. Changing Marcus's character and having the humourous rapport between Indy and his father acheived this.

Raiders had humour of course. It was just a different type of humour than Doom and Crusade.

VP

Moderator Emeritus
Rod The Raider said:
Marcus is a prime example. He's a very serious character in Raiders and in Crusade he's a bumbling fool. This doesn't annoy me. He's supposed to be like that when he's out of his own environment. It was part of his characterisation.

Actually I think that Marcus wasn't supposed to be a bumbling fool in Raiders, remember when he said that five years ago he would've gone after the Ark himself.

Violet Indy said:
Spielberg and Lucas should have kept to the idea of Marion being in all the films with Indy. :whip:

There is no such idea, Marion is just an another girlfriend.

Rod The Raider

"Actually I think that Marcus wasn't supposed to be a bumbling fool in Raiders, remember when he said that five years ago he would've gone after the Ark himself."

No not in Raiders. In Crusade he is.

Violet

Moderator Emeritus
VP said:

I've read that in a couple of Lucas,Speilberg and Harrison Film books and biography. If you're got that many books stating that fact, then there might be some truth to it.

Indyologist said:
Now how DID I know you would say something like that, VI? :rolleyes:

Well, I could have pulled out the BRING BACK MARION post, but I think I've put everyone through enough pain by doing that. I'm more mature than yesterday. Yay, I'm 18!:whip:

ElodieJones

I don't love Temple of Doom.
But I like it better than Last Crusade.

What do I like in Temple of Doom:

- The Bridge scene
- The mine car scene
- The Indian jungle
- Saving the children
- Willie Scott character

I was on board with you until the last one, EJ.... I can't STAND Willie....

I wish Willie had been in Last Crusade.... 'Dad' had been in Raiders, and Marion had been in Temple.....

roundshort

Just a good movie, I even liked the dynamic of Willie and Indy, for me it is just a movie, a time waster, and this is better than allmost all others.

Joe Brody

roundshort said:
Just a good movie, I even liked the dynamic of Willie and Indy, for me it is just a movie, a time waster, and this is better than allmost all others.

I have to admit -- Indy's ToD conduct and hookup with Willie is valuable to substantiate the true character -- especially any thought that at some point Indy and Marion got together and lived happily ever-after-until-the-end-of-their-days. Elsa is gravy in this regard.

Webley

ElodieJones said:
I don't love Temple of Doom.
But I like it better than Last Crusade.
Yep Temple of Doom kicks Crusades ass:whip:

Its just that simple
d932619b.gif

IndyBuff

I've always loved Temple of Doom and it's a shame that more fans don't like it. The producers chose to take the series in a different and darker direction and I think it worked extremeley well. We get to see Indy take on more of a father-figure role and also deal with a woman who has obviously never had any adventure experience. The whole thing is completely unplanned and yet he still manages to fight his way out of it.

That's just my two cents but I think it's a great film with many positive aspects.:whip:

HovitosKing

- The Bridge scene
- The mine car scene
- The Indian jungle

Yes, yes, yes!

- Willie Scott character

Actually, yes. Real-life Willie Scotts I can't stand...in the movie she's somewhat endearing. I can't explain it...it's cwazy...but I kinda like her after all.

That having been said, I LOVE ToD!! Not saying it's my FAVORITE...but it's definitely tied for second.

Gustav

Lon said:
I love Temple of Doom because it doesn't try to be a carbon copy of Raiders of the Lost Ark the way Last Crusade does. The character is taken and put through a completely different type of adventure. Even though the adventure is different in style and tone, it still fits the character. Sequels always need to up things a notch and ToD certainly does that.

I completely agree. ToD couldn't have been more different and still be in the same series. That's why I love it. Indiana Jones is just going along. It starts in a high-class club in Shanghai and one unforeseen even leads to another until Indy is hanging off a broken rope bridge over a chasm with hungry crocodiles at the bottom about to have his heart ripped out by a mad thuggee cult leader. The whole thing is comepletely unplanned and uncivilized unlike the other two films. It also shows Indiana Jones interact with other cultures and environments that the other two films couldn't have brought him to encounter.

VP said:

I don't think so. There are indications that he has a history with Marion unlike Willie and Elsa who he meets for the first time in their designated films. Marion also seems to have more of an affect on him, especially in the scene on the ship. I couldn't see that scene happening with Willie or Elsa.

"The whole thing is comepletely unplanned and uncivilized"
What a wonderful way to put it!! LOL

"Marion also seems to have more of an affect on him, especially in the scene on the ship. I couldn't see that scene happening with Willie or Elsa"
I agree.... Marion is the fem that seems to have got most under Indys skin... but.... Ummm.... Bantu Wind Love scene.... same as Venice Love Scene... and mostly the same as the Pankot Palace Love Scene (Sans copulation)

Nathaniel

Temple of Doom is wonderful in so many ways. It tells the story of a man who travels across the spectrum of being completely wrapped up in himself and his own interests to risking his life, his fortune and his glory to free the slave children.

It tells the story of a conceited woman who transforms overnight when a real man comes into her life.

Finally, it shows what a difference one man can have in the lives of so many: the lives of all who would have been sacrificed in future Thuggee ceremonies, the lives of the slave children, the lives of the desolated Indian villagers, the life of a nightclub singer and the life of an orphaned Chinese boy who just wants someone to look up to.

Temple of Doom, while not quite Raiders, is spectacular.