Deming Air Base in Indy 4

arkfinder

More info from /film.com regarding Area 51.

Indiana Jones 4 goes to Area 51?
Posted on Tuesday, June 12th, 2007 at 10:33 am by: Peter Sciretta

The Deming Headlight newspaper is reporting that Indiana Jones production crew is prepping an area near the town?s Deming Municipal Airport for filming. The former WWII training base has been painted blue and now sports a United States Air Force Insignia with the underlying slogan ?Home of the Fighter Pilot.? While the paper claims that parts of the area will stand-in for Morocco, IGN has looked further into the whole ?Home of the Fighter Pilot? thing and have learned that the slogan actually belongs to Nellis Air Force Base in Nevada, which is adjacent to the top secret Area 51.

We feared that the UFO/Alien storylines from the previous script drafts may have survived. We could be wrong, but expect some kind of top secret military technology or secret to be involved, possibly even Aliens or UFOs.

Here's my fun little theory. Remember at the end of Raiders of the Lost Ark when the Ark was boxed up and stored away in a top secret government location? What if this location was in the Nevada desert and became known as Area 51? Area 51 is the place where the government hides all the strange and mystical things and objects they have discovered over the years. One of these objects is needed by Indy so he breaks in to steal it. A fun gag would be to have him pass by the box containing the Ark of the Covenant and all the lettering on it would be burned up.

Dr.Sartorius

AICN has a new Indy 4 rumor up:

An INDY 4 Rumor That?s Not Really A Rumor...

Hey, everyone. ?Moriarty? here.

... since I can verify that this sequence exists. Or at least, it has at a prior point in this film?s development. It sounds to me like they?ve taken several different incarnations of the INDY 4 script and cobbled them all together to come up with the version we?ll see in theaters next summer. I know I?ve been pessimistic about this one in the past, but there have been drafts and ideas and scenes that have been fairly provocative over the long tortured history of development the film?s been through. I got this e-mail in, and it seems to confirm that there will be a sequence early in the movie that takes place on a site in the desert that both Jeb Stuart and Frank Darabont are rumored to have included in their takes on the story.

And, no, I?m not talking about Area 51. All I?ll say is that if this is the sequence I think it is, it starts the story off with a bang.

A really... big... bang...

I am working on a Warner Bros film right now. [Someone else on the film] is from New Mexico. I said to him "hey they are filming Indy 4 there right?" He said, "My friend is [working on] the film and they are prepping the New Mexico site to be a WWII atomic test site, like in the old videos you would see in school"

I thought I would pass this on!!!

Link

Finn

Staff member
The interesting thing is that whenever someone says "Area 51", people immediately think "aliens" despite the fact it's also considered to be the home for all those things Uncle Sam's not so fond on yammering about.

And such things have never been strangers in Indiana Jones movies.

Zorg

Good point there, Finn.

But let's see: crystal skulls.. Air Force... nuclear bomb test site.. something interesting is cooking here. :)

Gobi-1

Finn said:
The interesting thing is that whenever someone says "Area 51", people immediately think "aliens" despite the fact it's also considered to be the home for all those things Uncle Sam's not so fond on yammering about.

And such things have never been strangers in Indiana Jones movies.

A theory I have that I posted over at theforce.net:

Remember at the end of Raiders of the Lost Ark when the Ark was boxed up and stored away in a top secret government location? What if this location was in the Nevada desert and became known as Area 51? Area 51 is the place where the government hides all the strange and mystical things and objects they have discovered over the years. One of these objects is needed by Indy so he breaks in to steal it. A fun gag would be to have him pass by the box containing the Ark of the Covenant and all the lettering on it would be burned up.

Avilos

It makes sense. If "Area 51" is in the film it will be their version of Area 51. It is unlikely that it would fit exactly with the legends. It would be the "reality" that the legends are based on.

Finn

Staff member
Sorry if I ask, but <i>whose</i> theory was it again?

Gobi-1 said:
A theory I have that I posted over at theforce.net:

Remember at the end of Raiders of the Lost Ark when the Ark was boxed up and stored away in a top secret government location? What if this location was in the Nevada desert and became known as Area 51? Area 51 is the place where the government hides all the strange and mystical things and objects they have discovered over the years. One of these objects is needed by Indy so he breaks in to steal it. A fun gag would be to have him pass by the box containing the Ark of the Covenant and all the lettering on it would be burned up.

arkfinder said:
Here's my fun little theory. Remember at the end of Raiders of the Lost Ark when the Ark was boxed up and stored away in a top secret government location? What if this location was in the Nevada desert and became known as Area 51? Area 51 is the place where the government hides all the strange and mystical things and objects they have discovered over the years. One of these objects is needed by Indy so he breaks in to steal it. A fun gag would be to have him pass by the box containing the Ark of the Covenant and all the lettering on it would be burned up.

Finn

Staff member
Well, that settles that. Of course, there's not going to be consequences to anybody (at least on this board), just found it a bit odd that two guys have a pretty similar idea both claim as his own...

Aaron H

Moderator Emeritus
Goes to show that we do have cross-over members. So what happens on one board doesn't stay on that board. (unlike Las Vegas)

Moedred

Administrator
Staff member
This seems to fit the other rumors:
"The opening action scene of the film will pit Dr. Jones against Russians agents in Area 51. LaBeouf is going to be playing a greaser, wearing jeans and a leather jacket and riding around on a motorcycle. Indy and Shia will be thrown together in this adventure but will not learn they're related until a pivotal action scene."

I'm sure they're going to set a fistfight in a ramshackle Boomsburg, which appears to be a ghost town. I just don't know who will know they're at ground zero and when. So will a fight in Boomsburg be sufficient before the nuke? Maybe the rocket sled deposits them there, groggy. What other set pieces can be used? Mine shafts? There's not much out there...

Finn

Staff member
Moedred said:
This seems to fit the other rumors:
"The opening action scene of the film will pit Dr. Jones against Russians agents in Area 51. LaBeouf is going to be playing a greaser, wearing jeans and a leather jacket and riding around on a motorcycle. Indy and Shia will be thrown together in this adventure but will not learn they're related until a pivotal action scene."
Of course, that piece's not exactly a new one either. And as usual, we'll take 'em with grain of salt 'til we get an official confirmation. But yeah, at the moment it does seem fitting.

Wilhelm

In the first draft of BACK TO THE FUTURE the climax occurs in a test site in NEVADA where Marty goes to the future with the help of an atomic bomb. Maybe that was Spielberg's idea and he is using it now for Indy 4.

EXT. ARMY GATES – NEVADA DESERT – DAY
A dirt road leads to an intimidating looking gate guarded by M.P.’s. Barbed wire extends as far as the eye can see along the perimeter of the grounds, and a large sign proclaims, “U.S. ARMY, RESTRICTED AREA, AUTHORIZED PERSONNEL ONLY.”

EXT. TEST SITE – “SUBURBIA”
There are several tract houses here, a surrealistic suburban neighborhood, just as Mr. Arky described in 1982. A large sign nearby gives the distance from ground zero: “1.5 MILES.”
Professor Brown’s truck backs into the driveway of a house where there are mannequins on the front lawn---a man with a lawn mower, and a woman in a chaise lounge.

http://www.scifiscripts.com/scripts/back_to_the_future_original_draft.html

In the final movie Zemeckis used the clock tower instead but I always thought that the test site sequence was great for an action movie like Indy.

Stoo

Finn said:
Well, that settles that. Of course, there's not going to be consequences to anybody (at least on this board), just found it a bit odd that two guys have a pretty similar idea both claim as his own...
It didn't get the impression he was claiming the idea/quote as his own since
this was on the top of the post:
arkfinder said:
More info from /film.com regarding Area 51.

Indiana Jones 4 goes to Area 51?
Posted on Tuesday, June 12th, 2007 at 10:33 am by: Peter Sciretta

Gobi-1

Wilhelm said:
In the first draft of BACK TO THE FUTURE the climax occurs in a test site in NEVADA where Marty goes to the future with the help of an atomic bomb. Maybe that was Spielberg's idea and he is using it now for Indy 4.

EXT. ARMY GATES ? NEVADA DESERT ? DAY
A dirt road leads to an intimidating looking gate guarded by M.P.?s. Barbed wire extends as far as the eye can see along the perimeter of the grounds, and a large sign proclaims, ?U.S. ARMY, RESTRICTED AREA, AUTHORIZED PERSONNEL ONLY.?

EXT. TEST SITE ? ?SUBURBIA?
There are several tract houses here, a surrealistic suburban neighborhood, just as Mr. Arky described in 1982. A large sign nearby gives the distance from ground zero: ?1.5 MILES.?
Professor Brown?s truck backs into the driveway of a house where there are mannequins on the front lawn---a man with a lawn mower, and a woman in a chaise lounge.

http://www.scifiscripts.com/scripts/back_to_the_future_original_draft.html

In the final movie Zemeckis used the clock tower instead but I always thought that the test site sequence was great for an action movie like Indy.

Now this is a cool bif of trivia. Speilberg doesn't waste a good idea.

Moedred

Administrator
Staff member
Wilhelm said:
In the first draft of BACK TO THE FUTURE the climax occurs in a test site in NEVADA where Marty goes to the future with the help of an atomic bomb.
Holy cow. That 1981 script is just too familiar. Brown races away on a motorcycle, and...

PROF. BROWN
Marty, it's over. Do you understand? It's over. Now I want you to get in the refrig---the time chamber, and we'll just pray that the lead lining---

A moment of quiet, then we notice a shifting of sand...as if something was pushing up from below...something IS pushing up from below...the door of a refrigerator with the word “Philco” on it! The door is partially melted, partially rotted, very worn down and aged. And now Marty climbs out of the refrigerator cavity!

Joe Brody

Space Available?

This recent article posted on the The Raider about an Indy 4 loocations struck a chord. . .

Two more Indiana Jones 4 filming locations
08/06/07, 3:57pm EST
We have info on what looks like two more Indiana Jones 4 filming locations. Deming in New Mexico. And the Mexican port of Veracruz.
Las Cruces Sun-News reported earlier this week that the Indy 4 production crew will film some scenes near Deming, New Mexico. An area nearby Deming will be transformed into a Morocco setting.
Crew members of the fourth Indiana Jones film have been working in Deming for weeks. A building at the former air strip in Deming has been painted blue, with a USAF insignia and the words "Home Of The Fighter Pilot" painted on an outside wall. In addition, WWII Air Force vehicles are parked nearby.

. . . and chord wasn't the Scooby Doo haunted airfield (excellent though it may be). Instead, it got me thinking about my old musings on Indiana Jones having to fly 'space-available' on U.S. military transport:

Joe Brody in the Location Ideas thread on 01/12/04 said:
. . . in Indy IV I would like to see Indy complete one of his "red line" journeys by flying "space available" on a United States Air Force flight.

With respect to the story, I could see Indy in a bind and having to get to some far-flung destination fast -- like Japan. In the early 1950's probably no airline was flying as many flights to as many global destinations as the good ol' U.S. armed forces. While "space-available" is for uniformed military personnel and their dependents, I could see Indy getting a seat by any number of means -- from (i) calling in a favor, (ii) to having someone (with rank) recognize Indy from the War and then give up his/her seat, or (iii) to the typical way in which Indy gets access to someplace he's not supposed to be (he steals a uniform). Whatever the method, this scene could be used to show that Indy did serve during the war (as more fully discussed on the WWII thread) and to show something about the U.S.'s global role in the early 1950's.

One of the things that irks me in the first three movies is that for the most part Indy's travel arrangements just happen (with seeming ease). There's always someone like a Marcus, Sallah or Dan Akroyd to do the dirty work. Here in the 2000's, I wish that I could effect my more humble travels with as much ease as Indy seemingly effected his great global jaunts back in the 1930's.

I think it would expand on Indy's character if we were shown him having to be a little creative in acheiving his travel objectives (especially, if time-is-of-the-essence in the plot). I also think this would be a good point of distinction between Indy and other action adventure heroes like James Bond and Lara Croft (Sp?) who are able to jump around the globe with ease due to resources at their disposal.