Williams' score

Quickening

Im tired of talking about what a let down this film is now but I'll just say that I won't listen to the soundtrack of this film like I do the others. Williams could have done far better.

Dene

Could we give the guy a break already? He's 76!

Is this as good a score as the other three Indys? Well, it's all opinion but personally I'd say no -- however, see above!

Thanks Mr Williams, for everything.

Agent Z

I will also lament that a majority of the Area 51 music isn't on this first release, especially the great countdown for the rocket sled scene. :(

TheLastCrusader

Agent Z said:
I will also lament that a majority of the Area 51 music isn't on this first release, especially the great countdown for the rocket sled scene. :(
Ideed! That was some great score right there! I hope they'll release an EE sometime.

Darth Vile

I've just been discussing in another thread, and my last post there (copied below) summed up my argument here.

"You inadvertently raise two distinct and valid points..., which basically encapsulate my entire argument.

1) The musical quality of any given score (as an artistic/aesthetic experience)
2) How a soundtrack underpins a movie on an emotional level e.g. does it get the adrenalin going in the correct places, do the eyes start to tear up when a certain chord is struck etc?

IMHO – The score hits the artistic/aesthetic experience 10 out of 10… How best it underpins the actual movie, I’ll leave for the wider audience to decide. However, the two are not mutually exclusive."

mobollux2

Williams had a hell of alot more to work with for star wars then he did for jones. all the main characters in star wars had their own themes in the first 3 films, which of course led to alot of the music in the prequels.

when you look at KotCS, there wasnt that much by way of "Excitement" that would earn such haunting melodies. (heck, the map room track still gives chills.. by far one of the most haunting melodies in the jones series ironically used in 3 of the 4 movies.) The other 3 jones movies had more points in which a symphonic fanfare was called for. it would seem williams tried to go for something more "not of this world" for alot of the music in CS.

*The previous message was given by the ramblings of a music teacher, any questions should be sumbitted in cuneiform.* (y)

StoneTriple

As a whole, I prefer the score for Kingdom Of The Crystal Skull over the others. Now, before I'm run out of here, I'll explain.

With Raiders Of The Lost Ark, Temple Of Doom, and Last Crusade, there are two or three pieces that I listen to, and like, intensely. They've been top-ten pieces since they were first released. From Raiders -The Map Room & The Well Of The Souls have been absolute favorites of mine for 28 years. That said, there are also plenty of pieces on each soundtrack that I skip regularly.

That's not the case with Kingdom Of The Crystal Skull. It also has a few pieces that are deeply moving to me, every bit as much as Raiders, Temple, & Crusade - Call of the Crystal, Irina's Theme & Return.

However, I don't really skip any pieces. I listen to this new soundtrack much more thoroughly than the others. The skips and the favorites on each soundtrack have always been decided in the first week or so, so this isn't a case of new vs decades-old listening.

I'm a big fan of the new score and I would put Call of the Crystal up with anything Williams has done.

Peacock's-Eye

I found two cues I really like:

1. Irina's theme variation in front of the Area 51 warehouse when she's trying to 'read' Indy. Very nice.

2. In Akator, when the skull-gate opens. From when Indy steps back, to the point when he enters the inner chamber. Amazing cue.

Agent Z

Peacock's-Eye said:
I found two cues I really like:

1. Irina's theme variation in front of the Area 51 warehouse when she's trying to 'read' Indy. Very nice.

2. In Akator, when the skull-gate opens. From when Indy steps back, to the point when he enters the inner chamber. Amazing cue.

Oh yeah, number #1, also missing from the release! The more I think it over, the more depressing it is that some of the best stuff has been left off this first release. :(

Agent Z

sandiegojones said:
REALLY!!!:whip:

Sorry, had to! :hat:

You know how long I bit my tongue on that one?

It was such an easy setup too, but I was like "Well, someone else is eventually going to cave in and post the oral sex ref...."

twlightzone1205

I think this soundtrack will grow on me in time. I remember running to the Camelot Music store at our local mall on the day that LC openend and purchased its soundtrack on cassette. I actually hated it at first comparing it to the previous two films, but I eventually was happy to listen to it all the way through. When I have some time I plan to make a "Best of Indy" CD featuring highlights from all four scores.

Kingsley

Agent Z said:
You know how long I bit my tongue on that one?
It was such an easy setup too, but I was like "Well, someone else is eventually going to cave in and post the oral sex ref...."
Don't mess with our dear Sarah! :mad:

Well, I'm not seriously mad ;) but Sarah is great in his candid manners...

And I should hear that soundtrack, because I've seen the movie once, and I can't remember the new music anymore.

Darth Vile

blueseattle said:
That's what I felt, too. Especially after listening to the TOD Soundtrack the other night. THAT's a perfect score!

TOD (IMHO) is one of the weakest Williams scores for a blockbuster. Overall, I think it relies way too heavily on the 'Raiders March' motif, has an opening piece that is a Cole Porter composition i.e. not a Williams original and has a couple of very trite tracks e.g. 'Short Round's theme' and 'Children in Chains'.

Now don't get me wrong, even Williams at his worst still delivers the goods e.g. 'Nocturnal Activities', but TOD is no where near as rounded, mature and complex as the score for KOTCS (IMHO).

mobollux2

but thats what williams does. he comes up with a theme for a character or item and sticks to it. he has done it, he will always do it. not that its bad, but it can be seen through-out his scoring career. the raiders theme is indy's theme and no matter what happens it will be used in abundance to represent him.

Darth Vile

mobollux2 said:
but thats what williams does. he comes up with a theme for a character or item and sticks to it. he has done it, he will always do it. not that its bad, but it can be seen through-out his scoring career. the raiders theme is indy's theme and no matter what happens it will be used in abundance to represent him.

mobollux2,

Was your post in reference to my last post? If so, I agree in that repetition is the raison detra of a motif, but even Williams and Spielberg recognize that it was overused in TOD... and for me that overuse sort of weakens the score. I still think it's a good score... just not as strong as others.