Artifacts that Indy could find in Indy 5

theneogon

What are some good artifacts that Indy could go after in Indy 5? I'd like to make a list of ideas/suggestions. Try to think outside the box.

Insomniac

Pandora's Box
Nirvana: Stairway to Heaven
P.S. My new fan film Indiana Jones and the Sword of Atilla !!!

Last edited:

Gamingboy

It is said that as the tide began to turn in WWII, a Japanese General named Yamas*h*i*t*a hid loot that had been stolen from China, Korea, Philippines, India, etc. in a small series of caverns and caves somewhere in the most remote areas of the Philippines, both out of spite and for possible retrieval if he survived the war. Some say these caves are just a huge hoax, since it would have made more sense to hide the loot in Japan or possibly Southeast China. Some say that it was true, but that gangsters and crooked politicians long ago looted it. Some say that to this day, Yamas*h*i*ta's gold lays undiscovered in the Filipino rain forest....

My idea for plot (written in a way not to reveal KOTCS spoilers): A Chinese Agent who Indy and Mac worked with during WWII (okay, that WAS a KOTCS spoiler, but nothing you wouldn't have known already) comes calling. The agent is now for Communist (booooooo) China and the Commies ostensibly need the treasure to keep themselves from going broke in the wake of the disastrous "great leap forward". The real reason, since it would be basically impossible for the Chinese to move so much stuff in secret, is because there are artifacts amongst the loot that would help them TAKE OVER THE WORLD (MWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA). Indy and Friends have to stop them.

I?d want to bring it back to something more associated with Indy. I?d definitely steer away from what Crystal Skull did. All these are pretty cool suggestions. I?d consider the Spear of Destiny a great one, if not an unoriginal answer. However Indy EU has already touched on this.

|ZiR|

I think it's best to steer clear from artifacts with strong biblical themes. I know that's what most people want, but we've done that twice already. I'd prefer something more obsure, like the sankara stones again.

It's hard to think of something to suggest though, 'cause with all the EU novels and YIJ, it seems like all the good macguffins've been used up.

whipem said:
Eventually all that will matter to Indy is the Fountain of Youth.

Did you have to go there?! I hate thinking about the inevitable death of a fictional character. Fountain of Youth's not a bad idea, actually. I thought they might be going there in the speculation days of KotCS.

WillKill4Food

Fountain of Youth has the same powers as the Holy Grail.
That would be repetitive, don't you think?
Besides, Pirates of the Caribbean 4 (if produced) is supposedly going to involve a search for the Holy Grail. Two summer movies with the same McGuffin? That's just bad, especially since Pirates 4 will suck anyway.

|ZiR|

WillKill4Food said:
Fountain of Youth has the same powers as the Holy Grail.
That would be repetitive, don't you think?

Yes, you're right. I wasn't even thinking about the literal healing properties of the Fountain itself but the mythology surrounding it. Oy.

So... nix on the Fountain? Maybe. I dunno -- it's a big legend. It might be cool to see Indy tackle it. The effects of the water may be about the same, but the stories are quite different.

IndySeven

Here's a list of some artifacts that could work for Indy 5:

The Lost Mines of Solomon
Some lost jewel from Asia, Egypt, Amazon, etc.
Lost Treasure of some ancient king
Some Amazonian artifact
Some Egyptian artifact
:)

Perhilion

|ZiR| said:
Yes, you're right. I wasn't even thinking about the literal healing properties of the Fountain itself but the mythology surrounding it. Oy.

So... nix on the Fountain? Maybe. I dunno -- it's a big legend. It might be cool to see Indy tackle it. The effects of the water may be about the same, but the stories are quite different.
I'm sure they could put a different spin on the fountain.

Indy Byrd

How about the fabeled "Lost City of Gold"- El Dorodo itself? I mean explorers and treasure hunters have been looking for that place for centuries. I'm sure George Lucas and Steven Speilburg could "whip" up some wonderful story on why Indy should try and locate that city before the bad guys does. :hat:

tupogirl

Canadian Indian Totem Poles? They were almost all gone by the turn of the century and Canada is a BIG country.

theneogon

I agree that the fountain of youth might be a little too similar to the Grail. But hey if it makes Ford get young again I'm for it!

The Japanese General idea is an interesting one. Indy might have to visit some of the places the treasure was stolen from and do some detective work.

What is the Maltese Falcon?

Gamingboy

By the way, does anybody else find it extremely annoying that I couldn't put in the name of the Japanese General Yama****a because there was a 4 letter word INSIDE his name? Jeez.

theneogon

There are plenty of good Biblical artifacts that would be recognizable to a wide audience. But having another one might be a little repetitive seeing both and old and new testament artifact has already been used.

The staff/rod of Moses/Aaron would be interesting. They are a lot of cool powers associated with it, including the plagues of Egypt! Also it has a tendency to turn into a snake, which wouldn't suit well with Indy, lol.

The Spear of Destiny (Lance of Longinus) is usually the 3rd artifact people think of after the Grail and Ark. I don't know much about its powers, but I the Nazi's actually thought they found it. There a separate forum discussion on this one if you want to know more: http://www.raven.theraider.net/showthread.php?t=14456 .

theneogon

Gamingboy said:
By the way, does anybody else find it extremely annoying that I couldn't put in the name of the Japanese General Yama****a because there was a 4 letter word INSIDE his name? Jeez.

LOL! Imagine if it wouldn't let you type your own name! :whip:

Anyway here are some helpful sites to get your mind going:
http://mysterymanonfilm.blogspot.com/2007/04/indiana-jones-city-of-gods.html
http://www.onebodymindspirit.com/Myths_Mankind2.htm
http://www.freewebs.com/chim_is/theholylance.htm

adventure_al

Japanese general thing wouldn't work in my opinion. as it would be too new in relation to the indy timeline.

He is an archaelogist, he searches for historical artifacts. And the clues would all have to be fairly new (post-war) it just wouldn't be indy at all. Sorry.

Some ancient artifact would be good. Associated with one of the ancient civilisations. Inca, Mayan, Mesapotamian (sp?)

Solomons mines would be good but due to the book/several films it prob wouldn't work.

Gamingboy

adventure_al said:
Japanese general thing wouldn't work in my opinion. as it would be too new in relation to the indy timeline.

He is an archaelogist, he searches for historical artifacts. And the clues would all have to be fairly new (post-war) it just wouldn't be indy at all. Sorry.

I have to admit you are probably right. Yama s h i t a's gold would probably work better for a "National Treasure" movie (although I guess they'd have to rename it to "International Treasure") or another Indy-clone.