KOTCS fashion police

Kooshmeister

I always thought black went well with brown. Many militaries seem to think so, anyway, and there's been countless business suits with black neckties...

Indy's brother

Kevin said:
What's wrong with his clothes in that scene of KOTCS? A tweed or worsted wool sportcoat with non-matching flannel slacks is a classic look (see any old Fred Astaire movie, or modern Ralph Lauren catalog).

Not really sure, to be honest. He just looked a bit more frumpy and disheveled in his civilian attire than normal. The item that bugs me the most lately is actually his eyeglasses. What's up with those? They are half the size of the ones in ROTLA, but the same style. They made him look older, and his eyes more beady. If they are period frames, I can kind of forgive it, but it was at the expense of cashing in on a familiar look/feel/face. Perhaps it was to contrast how well Indy slips back into his adventure gear, but that could be assigning to much credit. Seriously, you guys think he looked the part in his more scholastic attire? The "wedding suit" I had no issue with, he actually looked a little more like the dashing old Indy in it.

Indy's brother

I thought I had mentioned hair in this thread, but after reading through, I guess I didn't. Marion is the one I take most issue with.

Why did they go with this:
40310_ori.jpg

instead of this:
Karen%20Allen-2.JPG

I think Karen is beautiful either way, but I think the extra body actually made her look older. The straight hair looks more like our feisty Marion, and would have been easier to pull off than the new look. So why go out of the way for something out of place?

Shorter hair on Ford around the sides and back would have made him look more youthful and would have also have stayed correct for the period of the film. It would have also made his thinning locks look fuller.

The rest of the coifs I think are fine.

DeepSixFix

Indy's brother said:
In TOD, we were at least treated to his James Bond-like attire in Club Obi-Wan.
As I understand, the white tux is actually an homage to Humphrey Bogart in "Casablanca," one of ROTLA's many influences.

Good thread idea! :hat:

Raiders90

Indy's brother said:
I thought I had mentioned hair in this thread, but after reading through, I guess I didn't. Marion is the one I take most issue with.

Why did they go with this:
40310_ori.jpg

instead of this:
Karen%20Allen-2.JPG

I think Karen is beautiful either way, but I think the extra body actually made her look older. The straight hair looks more like our feisty Marion, and would have been easier to pull off than the new look. So why go out of the way for something out of place?

Shorter hair on Ford around the sides and back would have made him look more youthful and would have also have stayed correct for the period of the film. It would have also made his thinning locks look fuller.

He never had short hair on the sides and back....I mean in LC (during the motorcycle chase) he had a mullet.

StoneTriple

Indy's brother said:
... I think the extra body actually made her look older....why go out of the way for something out of place?

Her hairstyle was period-correct for the 1950s. Long & straight would have been out of place.

Stoo

Indy's brother said:
Mutt's hair is not greasey enough. It looks much too dry as if he uses mousse instead of pommade.
Stone Triple said:
Her hairstyle was period-correct for the 1950s. Long & straight would have been out of place.
Granted, I was not alive back then but Marion's hairstyle doesn't strike me as being very '50s-ish. I also found her clothes too be much to clean & pressed for someone held captive for days/weeks in a humid jungle.
Raiders112390 said:
He never had short hair on the sides and back....
What?:confused:

Raiders90

Stoo said:
Mutt's hair is not greasey enough. It looks much too dry as if he uses mousse instead of pommade.
Granted, I was not alive back then but Marion's hairstyle doesn't strike me as being very '50s-ish. I also found her clothes too be much to clean & pressed for someone held captive for days/weeks in a humid jungle.
What?:confused:

In all of the movies with Harrison, he's pretty much had the same hair length.

Montana Smith

Raiders112390 said:
In all of the movies with Harrison, he's pretty much had the same hair length.

He had longer hair in some of the promotional shots for TLC, and maybe in some of the pick-up shots?

ijc-0078_bg.jpg

As opposed to this:

c24.jpg

I love that shot!

Last edited:

StoneTriple

Stoo said:
Marion's hairstyle doesn't strike me as being very '50s-ish. I also found her clothes too be much to clean & pressed for someone held captive for days/weeks in a humid jungle.

Yeah, I suppose the clothes are a little too neat. To me, her hair looks like what I would expect a permanent wave to look like after all that jungle humidity.

Raiders90

Montana Smith said:
He had longer hair in some of the promotional shots for TLC, and maybe in some of the pick-up shots?

ijc-0078_bg.jpg

As opposed to this:

c24.jpg

I love that shot!

Yeah I think the first shot comes from around the time of the filming of the Motorcycle chase, which was filmed almost as an afterthought a few months after principal filming had ended and so Harrison's hair had grown a bit.

I do too, and the moment itself in the film is a great one.

On the subject of hair, let's just all be glad that Indy didn't decide to go back to the hairstyle of his youth as shown in River and Sean's Young Indy.

Montana Smith

Raiders112390 said:
On the subject of hair, let's just all be glad that Indy didn't decide to go back to the hairstyle of his youth as shown in River and Sean's Young Indy.

That was a bad hair day! At least River made fun of it in the lion wagon, with the parting of the curtains shot!

Indy's brother

Raiders112390 said:
He never had short hair on the sides and back....I mean in LC (during the motorcycle chase) he had a mullet.

Yeah I know, I just thought for the 50's and to make him look a little younger Mostly the younger part, since our aging archaeologist can use every angle available, and I'm fairly certain Mr. Ford would take issue with even a modest dye job. Even a slight peppering of brown would really make a difference on the guy imho.

Raiders90

Indy's brother said:
Yeah I know, I just thought for the 50's and to make him look a little younger Mostly the younger part, since our aging archaeologist can use every angle available, and I'm fairly certain Mr. Ford would take issue with even a modest dye job. Even a slight peppering of brown would really make a difference on the guy imho.

I think Spielberg and Lucas asked him to have a full dye job and he refused. Or something.

Col. Detritch

Originally Posted by Indy's brother

I think it wouldn't have looked natural on Harrison at that age. Plus I think the greying hair makes him more believable as the son of Henry Sr. Let?s just pray that Indy doesn?t inherit the baldness too!:p

Also, just wondering, was there something significant to Mac about his attire because he wears it in the opening scene then changes into a pale red button up shirt, cream pants and what I assume is a Panama hat then gets changed back into his original clothing at the camp site. He obviously had a chance to change his clothing so why did he change back? :hat:

Indy's brother

Col. Detritch said:
Also, just wondering, was there something significant to Mac about his attire because he wears it in the opening scene then changes into a pale red button up shirt, cream pants and what I assume is a Panama hat then gets changed back into his original clothing at the camp site. He obviously had a chance to change his clothing so why did he change back? :hat:

Never really thought about it, but my gut reaction would be for consistency, and that the panama hat get-up was Mac's way of going incognito.

Raiders112390 said:
I think Spielberg and Lucas asked him to have a full dye job and he refused. Or something.

Really?

Col. Detritch

In case anyone was interested I got an e-mail from a friend saying the soldiers wore Soviet RKKA field caps. Stalin also wore a similar cap! :hat: