Does Spielberg believe in God?

Blofeld

Just watching the Indy series again on DVD(like everyone else in the world)

The ends of Raiders and Crusade seem to suggest a literal belief in the God of the Old(Raiders) and the New Testment(Crusade). Even the end of Temple is heavy with the intervention of some type of god

Does anyone know if Spielberg has any kind of faith....

It's interesting....

Lon

Or they may have felt that those "artifacts" and the myths behind them just make for great storytelling.

Aaron H

Moderator Emeritus
Lucas also is a spiritual man. His father was a Baptist minister, but Lucas currently claims to be nothing; however, when your father is a Man of God that will certainly have some influence.

intergamer

I dispute how much the movies imply religious beliefs - they simply are compelling stories when there is a religious basis. I'm sure Lucas doesn't believe that the force exists, although some do: but he still wrote about it.

Mod edit: Made post readible. intergamer, please cease creating invisible posts.

[Edited by Aaron H on 10-24-2003 at 10:19 pm]

Indy007

Lon said:
Or they may have felt that those "artifacts" and the myths behind them just make for great storytelling.

This is probably true as Lucas felt religious historical tales would work in an action adventure story. I don't read the bible, but I'm sure the tales are powerful and would make for an intense picture, especially one where a group like the Nazi's are chasing the ark of the covenant, while others are trying to beat them to it.

Magda

I would actually encourage everyone to actually read the bible, not just because of my faith but because there are so many good stories in there.

Ah, the oldest series of fairytales in history. ;)

----

Spielberg's beliefs are more than likely depicted in most of his movies.

Here's a piece of useless (but related) trivia I got from Finn: You don't have to believe in God in order to be the Pope (although it is recommended). An atheist Pope... now that would be interesting. :D

[Edited by Ameera on 10-27-2003 at 09:28 pm]

Pale Horse

Staff member
Canon Law

Are you sure, Ren?

The Catholic church uses a very powerful piece of literature called Canon Law. It is used to dictate much of catholocism to the masses. In addition it is used and documented in the United States court system. The funny thing about the authority of the Canon Law (which is mildly similar to the Ecclesiastical Law) is that the Pope can utilize the latin term "scrinium pectoris" which allows his word to overide that law.

But I don't think that the Fab-5, with their religious backgrounds would ever consider making a movie that would challenge the Roman church...(Mel Gibson might)

I maintain that the "belief" in God is more wide spread then many think. jam 2 19

Marcus Petrius

Renderking, I was saying 'in the Renaissance'. And I was defining popes, not defining the biggest rapists and looters.
My post was not about who where the greatest rapists, but about who were popes.

And nowadays, it seems mandatory to believe in god or fake it for a good 60 years. Good luck if you're a non-believer that's going to take the faking path ;)

Aaron H

Moderator Emeritus
I understand, I am just wanting to make sure that it stays that way and doesn't turn into a flame war.