Questions and comments obout the Indy DVD's...

Raymond

First of all, I'll identify myself as a casual fan of the films. I got the DVD's (including the Best Buy bonus DVD) and really haven't watched the films since the VHS tapes came out years ago.

As a casual fan, I love the Bonus DVD. The documentaries are interesting but not overwhelming. The movies never looked better. The sound is amazing.

I agree that cutting room floor material would have been nice. Does anyone know for sure if this material still exists? 20+ years ago, this stuff wasn't save for DVD releases and documentaries like it is today. I'm assuming that some has survived if all the behind the scene stuff still exists. But, do we actually know that it exists?

Second, the lack of audio commentary. I have never been able to sit through more than 5 minutes of this for any film. But many fans love it. I don't see why it wasn't done.

Third, the bonus DVD. Love it. But why wasn't the 2 full lenght vintage documentaries (Making of Raiders, and the Amazing Stunts) documentaries included. This would have needed no work as no one would have expected them to be cleaned up. This could have fit easily on the Best Buy DVD, or on a second behind the scenes DVD. I'm surprised to see no posts complaining that this wasn't included.

Anyways, the material released is just fine with me, but I can see the hardcore fans wanting more.

Just be happy they didn't do to the Indy fimls what they did to the Star Wars films. The Special Editions have completely new scenes that change the movies. I think it's OK to do this with LOTRs since the film was trimed for time on the theatrical release, but the special edition was always the directo's vision (and having both available on DVD) but adding scenes 20 years after the original release? Blasphamy! (Greedo did NOT shoot first!!!!!)

Finally, is the Best Buy DVD officially hard to find and sold out? I've seen some on e-bay going to over $20 which seems just plain nuts....

jamieuk2

Raymond said:

I agree that cutting room floor material would have been nice. Does anyone know for sure if this material still exists? 20+ years ago, this stuff wasn't save for DVD releases and documentaries like it is today. I'm assuming that some has survived if all the behind the scene stuff still exists. But, do we actually know that it exists?

I would imagine they are burried deep somewhere at Skywalker Ranch in the Lucasfilm archives.

As I mentioned in another post I have a BBC documentary detailing the making of Temple of Doom buried somewhere in my archives - I must dig it out.

SharpShooter

Raymond said:

Second, the lack of audio commentary. I have never been able to sit through more than 5 minutes of this for any film. But many fans love it. I don't see why it wasn't done.

It wasn't done because Spielberg won't do them (he even says in the documentary that he doesn't like watching his films, but i can't see why lucas and a few others wouldn't do them, i mean i'm sure they could get ford to come in the Jone's girl on their respective movies, or maybe even sean connery, but if they could not get any stars i would just be happy with Lucas, and maybe some writters, ben burtt, john williams, or even some of the stunt guys. any thing would have benn better then nothing

as for myself, i think audio commentaries are the best DVD extras there is, i love hearing what people behind the scenes or the stars themeselves think of the movie and the stories the tell about its production

while i was disapointed that there were to commentaries,the doc partly made up for its lacking, i mean listen to the doc and you will see that parts of the doc could easily be edited into a commentary