General Indy 5 Thread - rumors and possibilities

Honestly...will there be another Indy film in the next decade?

• Total voters

Darth Vile

INCUBUSRATM said:
Yes, I know. But the other movies just worked so much better than KOTCS. The aliens just didn't fit right... Maybe it was because they were not "of this earth?" God or Shiva we're all familiar with, but aliens we are not. Atleast not in the Indy universe.
Read the Raiders transcripts and see where they were going with that one. It's been on the cards for some time. As someone who is agnostic, I'm not sure why the Indy universe should be so limited to just the religious/supernatural.

IndyPaul

The Stranger said:
At Cannes, fact is that pretty much EVERY film receives a standing ovation, even just as a sign of respect for the actors and moviemakers involved.

Actually, Cannes audiences are notoriously harsh. I've been there and seen it first hand. Too many "Royales with cheese" perhaps.
By the way, Isn't this an Indy 5 thread?

Last edited by a moderator:
The French display an interesting trend with regards to public opinion, just a glance at the Presidential Primaries is an eye opener.

Any French members of The Raven?

In any event Shia qualified the last interview with a well placed "if."

Any of those "news outlets" running with THAT story?

:dead:

DoomsdayFAN

Didn't somewhere along the way Lucas say something about how they purposely tried to not make KOTCS as epic and daring as Raiders, and that they just wanted to move the story forward in a natural way without going too over the top? I seem to remember hearing *something* like that a long while ago. My reaction: (n)

For Indy 5, I think they certainly need to try and be as bold and daring as they were with the original film. Don't hold anything back and really push things over the top (without becoming completely absured).

INCUBUSRATM

DoomsdayFAN said:
Didn't somewhere along the way Lucas say something about how they purposely tried to not make KOTCS as epic and daring as Raiders, and that they just wanted to move the story forward in a natural way without going too over the top? I seem to remember hearing *something* like that a long while ago. My reaction: (n)

For Indy 5, I think they certainly need to try and be as bold and daring as they were with the original film. Don't hold anything back and really push things over the top (without becoming completely absured).

They were trying NOT to be over-the-top with KOTCS? Well, in my opinion, they failed at that...

For me, it was completely absurd. And I'm afraid that if they make another one, it will be even more absurd. And the world will descend into further madness.

Montana Smith

INCUBUSRATM said:
They were trying NOT to be over-the-top with KOTCS? Well, in my opinion, they failed at that...

For me, it was completely absurd. And I'm afraid that if they make another one, it will be even more absurd. And the world will descend into further madness.

Just imagine if they had tried to go even more over the top with KOTCS!

Wow!

I mean...wow!
thud1-1.gif

They'd have renamed it Monty Python and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull:

Michael Palin as Indiana
Terry Jones as Marion
Eric Idle as Mutt
Graham Chapman as Spalko
John Cleese as Dovchenko
Terry Gilliam as Mac

I think this was in fact the original plan, and the reason they filmed the in-joke with the python in the sandpit...

Millions

I think blaming the mediocrity of Crystal Skull only on Lucas is a tad over-simplistic.

For me, the biggest culprit was Koepp - who I think was disastrous for the movie. His screenplay was absolutely appalling. I'm shocked they chose to go with that. There was none of the charm, humour,characterisation or suspense of the other 3 films.

Ford looking old, saggy, sallow-skinned and grey-haired didn't help - its not exactly dashing and heroic, is it? Neither did his half-hearted performance.

Spielberg wasn't in top form either - with some of the set-pieces really not working - ie the waterfall.

Even John Williams score was just..... rubbish.

No-one was really in top form at all. They all probably read that script and thought - ach, why bother.

If there is another film, PLEASE make sure that hack KOEPP gets nowhere near it.

Violet

Moderator Emeritus
Moderation notice- Thread going off topic

Guys as a mod, I feel compelled to say- this thread is not intended as a discussion about the failings of Indy 4- we'e got a whole discussion table for that- so lets keep it there. I know there's little to talk about at the moment in regards to 5, but let's keep the Indy 4 criticisms where they belong, please?

Montana Smith said:
Just imagine...
... Monty Python and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull:

Michael Palin as Indiana
Terry Jones as Marion
Eric Idle as Mutt
Graham Chapman as Spalko
John Cleese as Dovchenko
Terry Gilliam as Mac
It might be par for the WACKY archaeologist's course for Indy V to fully embrace the comedies they've increasingly aspired to...

Glad to see you made Palin Indy.:hat:

...whereas Chapman, (or Jones) might be an amazing Spalko, Chapman would have (bless his soul) HAD to be the upright, uptight and thouroughly mind bogglingly, counter productive establishment type...in Indy V of course.

Nothing keeping them from multiple roles, it's a tradition in both camps!

RedeemedChild

The way things have been going and considering how things are going now, I really don't see us getting another live action Indiana Jones movie.

I really don't want to see another actor cast in the role of Indiana Jones other than Harrison Ford anyway and so I don't really think we should movie forward with a fifth Indiana Jones movie if Harrison Ford can't act in it.

After having followed Spielberg's progress with 'Tin Tin' I'm seriously impressed with what he has accomplished. I'd love to see an animated television series for Indiana Jones with the same animation and high stakes definition that the upcoming Tin Tin movie has.

kevster

Was this posted?

Shia LaBeouf says Indiana Jones 5 'not far off'

The actor, who played adventurer Indy?s son Mutt in Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of The Crystal Skull, says that first steps towards production of the next instalment are being taken.

The 24-year-old revealed that Harrison Ford, who is set to reprise his role as Indiana, has begun working out to get in shape for the demanding filming work, while director George Lucas is searching for new cast members.

"I talked to [Harrison Ford]," LaBeouf told MTV News at the 2011 MTV Movie Awards. "He said he's staying in the gym, he said he's heard no word, but he does know that [George Lucas] is out there looking for a MacGuffin. He said he's staying in the gym, so it means [the movie is] not so far off."

Shia went on to explain that legendary director George is taking his time over the script.

According to the Hollywood hunk, the creator of the cult Star Wars series is putting a lot of thought into the new plot line.

"I mean, he's got to let it sit,? Shia said. ?He's going through his ruminations, which is extensive."

source: film-news.co.uk

kevster said:
Was this posted?

Shia LaBeouf says Indiana Jones 5 'not far off'

The actor, who played adventurer Indy?s son Mutt in Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of The Crystal Skull, says that first steps towards production of the next instalment are being taken.

The 24-year-old revealed that Harrison Ford, who is set to reprise his role as Indiana, has begun working out to get in shape for the demanding filming work, while director George Lucas is searching for new cast members.

"I talked to [Harrison Ford]," LaBeouf told MTV News at the 2011 MTV Movie Awards. "He said he's staying in the gym, he said he's heard no word, but he does know that [George Lucas] is out there looking for a MacGuffin. He said he's staying in the gym, so it means [the movie is] not so far off."

Shia went on to explain that legendary director George is taking his time over the script.

According to the Hollywood hunk, the creator of the cult Star Wars series is putting a lot of thought into the new plot line.

"I mean, he's got to let it sit,? Shia said. ?He's going through his ruminations, which is extensive."

source: film-news.co.uk

Which = it aint happening

Indy's brother

Rumors of Dr. Jones? demise in the next Indiana Jones movie have been greatly exaggerated ? at this point, it?s not even certain there will be a fifth Indiana Jones movie. But during an interview in Montana for an EW story on this month?s sci-fi western Cowboys and Aliens, Harrison Ford seemed to enjoy the idea of killing off the iconic character.
?I always want my characters to die,? he told EW. ?I thought Han Solo should have died at the end of the last Star Wars movie, just because it seemed right for the character. And I?d be happy to make another Indiana Jones movie ? but at this point it?s all just rumors.?

The rest of that interview will be availble once Entertainment Weekly hits the stands July 22.

moon_tan

harrison Ford now says they are just rumors about Indiana Jones 5

Harrison Ford in a recent interview said "I'd be happy to make another Indiana Jones movie...but at this point it's all rumors."
Not too long ago, Shia LaBeouf had said he spoke with Harrison Ford and said "he was still in the gym'" and that George Lucas was looking for a "MacGuffin", giving us hope that Lucas was still working on a script for "Indiana Jones 5".
Shia had hoped as well that Indiana Jones 5 was not too far off.

This is very disappointing news. It's just as bad as J.J. Abrams and his writing team not ready to film the new Star trek movie. They were suppose to be filming this August 2011, but the script is only half done. No casting yet, no set building.

What ever happened to the days when you could make a sequel every two years? At least The Hobbit movies will be in 2012 & 2013.

Attila the Professor

Staff member
Indy's brother said:
The rest of that interview will be availble once Entertainment Weekly hits the stands July 22.

Man...that quote. If this movie were to have a snowball's chance of happening, Harrison's commentary here opens it up to some really interesting possibilities.

Indy's brother

More from that interview:

ET: You're definitely an actor of many talents. And you studied under Professor Lucas at the Skywalker Ranch.
HF: Yes, I did.
ET: Do you have any idea of his present status on Indy5?
HF: Only rumors really. Somewhere in development hell, I think. I haven't spoken to him in 3 years years. We were friends once but we had a bit of a falling out, I'm afraid.
ET: Now, you must understand that this is all completely confidential.
HF: I understand.
ET: Yesterday afternoon our European section intercepted an insider communique that was sent from George Lucas to Shia LaBeouf. You see for the last three years George has had teams of online researchers running around the web looking for all sorts of religious artifacts. Lucas' gone nuts on the subject. He's obsessed with the occult, and right now there's some kind of story that he likes. Now we have some information here but we can't make anything out of it and we thought maybe you could. "Story development proceeding. Acquire macguffin. crazy, cool, going through ruminations, Shia Labeouf, USA."
HF: The Beef has discovered how to stay relevant...
ET: What exactly does this mean to you, this "relevance"?
HF: Well, Relevance is one of the possible strategies of the Lost Edginess.
ET: The Lost Edginess?
HF: The Arc of his career. The downward spiral after his public escapades and failed attempts at a serious career have failed.
ET: Wait a minute, you're talking about THE Downward Spiral?
HF: Yes, the actual Downward Spiral. Dropping breadcrumbs in a desperate effort to salvage his fading relevance as he circles the drain, if you believe in that sort of thing.
ET: [finishing Ford's sentence] In Hollywood.
HF: [continuing] Where he will stay rotting for many years until, all of a sudden, whoosh! He's gone.
ET: Where?
HF: Well nobody knows where. And do we really care, I mean really? About a year after Transformers 3, his waning popularity will be consumed by his inability to carry a decent film, followed by a humiliating public bender which will last a whole year, and we will be rid of him. Wiped clean by the wrath of God.

Last edited: