New Acquisitions!!

Kooshmeister

Picked up the Shanghai Chase set from Wal-Mart today. Along with Race For the Stolen Treasure, it's my favorite Lego Indy set. 'Course...it's my only other Lego Indy set, but I digress.

This set was definitely a pleasant surprise. The TOD car chase in and of itself isn't that great, but the cars used in it are great; it's nice to see Lego attempting old-timey style cars like this. The way you can make Willie's face turn scared simply by rotating her head is pretty neat, and the figures of Lao Che and Kao Khan are pretty decent likenesses (the box just calls them "Shanghai Gangsters" but the faces are dead ringers for Lao Che and Kao Khan).

My one complaint, really, is the Short Round figure. They've sacrificed height for his ability to actually sit in the car. To make him, well, kid-sized compared to the four adults, they gave him very short legs. Which can't bend. Meaning he can't sit behind the wheel, despite being the one who drove the car in the scene. Sure, the box art depicts him leaning out the car window, but in practice this just looks awkward. Shorty needs a pair of normal, bendable legs, height accuracy be damned.

Well, I do have one other minor complaint. This set retroactively makes Race For the Stolen Treasure suddenly not as cool anymore. Why? Because both cars in Shanghai Chase are just as big as the cargo truck! The truck is just plain dinky next to these things. Oh well. No fault of Shanghai Chase. Just Lego's lack of foresight (one assumes they didn't have Shanghai Chase planned at the time they made Race For the Stolen Treasure).

indyclone25

two acquisitions today the 18inch indy figure from the diamond selects and the free comic book featuring the indy story.

Lambonius

FYI, Lego Indiana Jones has been reissued as a "Greatest Hits" version, with the subsequent price drop. I picked up the PS2 version for a good ol' $19.99 tonight. :) Glad I held out on it, though I did rent it back when it came out.

Nurhachi1991

indyclone25 said:
it looks nice , it's hard to say on the size most likely the same size as indys bag

Well than that means it could not carry a laptop or books like it say's. I already have an MKIV but I want something for school. I wish they had more pics of it.

indyclone25

it may not have the inside like the satchel , that way giving some more room to hold a laptop? or books ? but like you said if they only had more pics ?

Nurhachi1991

Yeah thats true I'm just thinking in order to hold a laptop it would have to be like 20 inches tall. Indy's satchel is what 11 inches?

Goonie

Goonie said:
I also ordered a couple books through Chapters. I got
  • The Complete Making of Indiana Jones
  • Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull: A Photographic Journal
These should be arriving in the next few days.

My two books arrived today and all I got to say is they are both excellent!(y) (y) I ordered them through Chapters Online here in Canada. I saved about $30 online, rather than buying them at a regular bricks-&-mortar Chapters store.

indyclone25

here is what the site says about the satchel and it also says the size the bag comes in ----------------

Why cart around your textbooks, laptop, iPod and bullwhip in that fraying old backpack when you can stow them with style in this exclusive Indy satchel available only from IndianaJonesShop?!

This cool 100% cotton canvas field bag has a worn, comfortable feel that's been enzyme-washed for a look resembling the satchel worn by Indiana Jones. Features cotton webbing straps, front flap with antique brass turn buckles, and inside hanging zippered pocket. "Indiana Jones" quality-embroidered tastefully on front flap.

Perfect size for laptops, books, or golden fertility idols. An IndianaJonesShop exclusive!

Satchel measures approximately 16" high (closed), 11" wide and 5" side.

Goonie

I went to a local used bookstore today that also sells comics, music, and movies. They had a bunch of Indy comics and I got:
  • Temple of Doom Issue #1
  • Temple of Doom Issue #2
Unfortunately they didn't have issue #3, but I'll keep my eyes open. They were $3.50 apiece and the store currently has comics on sale for 40% off. I got there just before closing, so I'm going to take another look on Friday and pick up some more. (y)
I went to BK and sadly no Indy this year. Picked up Scotty and a Shuttle Craft instead. ;)

Nurhachi1991

throwmetheidol said:
I measured mine; it's 12.5 inches across and 16 inches deep. And it's about 3 inches thick.

Hope this helps.

Could you maybe post a few pictures? I would really appreciate it.

Arab Swordsman

throwmetheidol said:
I measured mine; it's 12.5 inches across and 16 inches deep. And it's about 3 inches thick.

Hope this helps.

Les, I really hope you're talking about the satchel bag. And I REALLY hope Nurhachi doesn't want to see pictures if you're not.