General Indy 5 Thread - rumors and possibilities

Honestly...will there be another Indy film in the next decade?

• Total voters

Pale Horse

Staff member
The Drifter said:
Now I shall let the rest of these guys and gals continue their hopeless battle to ensure themselves that Indy 5 will indeed be made.

It's like using a laser light to entertain a litter of kittens, isn't it. :p

RedeemedChild

Montana Smith said:
I like cats.

Could that be the kiss of death this thread's been waiting for?

Sadly and reluctantly I also concur that it is indeed over. Nevertheless we can hope against hope for something.

Indiana+Jones+V+Art+03.jpg

IndyTeam.jpg

The Drifter

Pale Horse said:
It's like using a laser light to entertain a litter of kittens, isn't it. :p

It is, they keep trying to grab at it, but just can't never seem to catch it. Doesn't stop them from trying, however. :p

That, and it's just fun to watch...

Finn

Staff member
Pale Horse said:
What am I, chopped liver.

Oh yeah, no one like to hang with the mods
We'd seriously have to consider firing you if someone did.

And to keep this post from being more than just a mere meta-quip... I'd never had any trouble with somebody else than Ford playing Ford-era Indy. As long as it's done right.

Raiders90

The main problem I think is with having Indy:
-Married
-With a son
-An assistant Dean

They've sort of made the path narrow for future movies unless they can find some way to leave Mutt and Marion behind. I think having Indy be married with a son really limits the character's future prospects. Unless they went for an approach like that of "The Mummy."

Moedred

Administrator
Staff member
Tintin reviews and interviews have already begun!
Spielberg translated:
"I think Harrison Ford Indiana Jones can live up to 90 years, although for this can only eat pureed. Take the example of Clint Eastwood. Is 81 and makes fascinating films. People like this kind of fantasy that takes them to places and scenes never seen before. It's a bit crabber a hero, a survivor who is hurt and suffering ... It looks more like a real person than a superhero."
As usual Babelfish makes it creepier.
"I find that Harrison Ford can even live Indiana Jones with 90 years, even so for this only can eat puré. It sees the example of Clint Eastwood. It has 81 years and it makes fascinating films. The people like this type of fancy that takes them the places and scenes never seen. A bit is a hero rezingão; a survivor who if hurt and that he suffers? He looks like yourself a person of truth of what more with a super-hero."

Last edited:

Mungi

After the last question from a German interview if the "Tintin" movies could delay further Indiana Jones sequels:

"No, the future of the Indiana Jones series is full in George Lucas' hand. He decides how it goes on. He has some kind of inner biologic Indiana Jones-clock. At the moment, I think, he's ready for a fifth film. And when the clock is finally ticking, I'll immediately be there as the director.

- Steven Spielberg

http://www.stern.de/kultur/film/ste...w-blankoscheck-fuers-filmemachen-1742494.html

The Drifter

Mungi said:
After the last question from a German interview if the "Tintin" movies could delay further Indiana Jones sequels:

"No, the future of the Indiana Jones series is full in George Lucas' hand. He decides how it goes on. He has some kind of inner biologic Indiana Jones-clock. At the moment, I think, he's ready for a fifth film. And when the clock is finally ticking, I'll immediately be there as the director.

- Steven Spielberg

http://www.stern.de/kultur/film/ste...w-blankoscheck-fuers-filmemachen-1742494.html

Yet ANOTHER stock answer that the big three spew forth every time one of them gets asked about an Indiana Jones V.
"He's ready..." or "We're ready!" or "Working on it..." It's the same recycled bullocks that we've been hearing for the last few years.

Darth Vile

The Drifter said:
Yet ANOTHER stock answer that the big three spew forth every time one of them gets asked about an Indiana Jones V.
"He's ready..." or "We're ready!" or "Working on it..." It's the same recycled bullocks that we've been hearing for the last few years.

I wouldn't be so down on it. To me it reads "we're up for it, we're ready for it, we just need the green light". Now that of course doesn't mean it's going to happen... but it's more positive than a "not sure at the moment" or a "perhaps someday"...

AndyLGR

Raiders112390 said:
The main problem I think is with having Indy:
-Married
-With a son
-An assistant Dean

They've sort of made the path narrow for future movies unless they can find some way to leave Mutt and Marion behind. I think having Indy be married with a son really limits the character's future prospects. Unless they went for an approach like that of "The Mummy."
Mummy 3 was poorly done and they painted themselves into a corner with the 2nd movie by adding the son to the husband/wife combo.

So I sincerley hope they ditch the baggage of the wife and son in a fifth movie, to me they were huge weak links in KOTCS. I just feel the whole situation didnt work in KOTCS for the sidekicks to be as effective as say the original fesity Marion or Henry sr or Sallah. I'd even go so far as to say that I preferred Willie and Shortround, purely because theres none of the awkwardness of the very badly handled father - son - ex girlfriend thing going on. As I've said many times before I think having Indy + son + ex + 2 more sidekicks at the end of KOTCS was too many heros on the screen all jockeying for positioning in the story and on the screen. Too many cooks...........

I say go back to basics with Indy 5, dont go down the typical Hollywood cliche ridden route of taking the wife and the son along for the ride. Have a new sidekick, it could be a student for instance, he could be on some college assignment in eastern Europe or Asia or somewhere far flung and he gets thrown into an adventure, anything to leave the wife and kid at home please. His sidekick could be a rival, a Forrestal or a Belloq kind of figure that he agrees to help. The trouble is they may have already covered all possible type of sidekicks in the first 4 films so its difficult to come up with something new I guess.

Montana Smith

Darth Vile said:
I wouldn't be so down on it. To me it reads "we're up for it, we're ready for it, we just need the green light". Now that of course doesn't mean it's going to happen... but it's more positive than a "not sure at the moment" or a "perhaps someday"...

It's sure to be a film that'll go down a storm with 90 year-olds. Emulation's going to cause broken bones and full hospitals the world over.

Last edited:

Mickiana

Yes, aging is not kind. I've got to see my chiropractor and massage therapist before going off on any adventures, not to mention the hormone shots and taking my vitamins and mineral supplements!!!:p

Udvarnoky

Darth Vile said:

I agree. Although he could just be straight-up lying, it's actually shocking to me for Spielberg to say "I'll immediately be there as the director."

Darth Vile

Udvarnoky said:
I agree. Although he could just be straight-up lying, it's actually shocking to me for Spielberg to say "I'll immediately be there as the director."

That was the bit that stood out for me too. He's clearly not sitting on the fence as to his involement... although that doesn't mean he belives it will actually happen (or should happen)...

Montana Smith

Darth Vile said:
That was the bit that stood out for me too. He's clearly not sitting on the fence as to his involement... although that doesn't mean he belives it will actually happen (or should happen)...

I think that they just have fun making these movies together as an ensemble cast and crew (well, apart from TOD, as that wasn't much fun for anyone involved).

But being available "immediately" may not be possible with Spielberg's constantly hectic schedule of committments. Though "immediate" depends on when they both choose to announce the project to the public. There has been a 'never say die' attitude on Indy 5. They'll keep the door open forever.

Toht's Arm

AndyLGR said:
I say go back to basics with Indy 5, dont go down the typical Hollywood cliche ridden route of taking the wife and the son along for the ride. Have a new sidekick, it could be a student for instance, he could be on some college assignment in eastern Europe or Asia or somewhere far flung and he gets thrown into an adventure, anything to leave the wife and kid at home please. His sidekick could be a rival, a Forrestal or a Belloq kind of figure that he agrees to help. The trouble is they may have already covered all possible type of sidekicks in the first 4 films so its difficult to come up with something new I guess.

I love this idea, and it would be a welcome reprieve from the family-centred plotting of the last two Indy films, but I simply can't see it happening. Spielberg's obsession with father/son relationships even appears in the films he produces (this year, Real Steal and Super 8 are examples), so there's no way he's not going to want to deal with Indy and Mutt further to some degree.

Keeping in mind that we haven't really seen Indy and Mutt working alongside each other with the knowledge that they are related much thus far, i suppose there's still some elements to explore there. I can see Marion being absent for a big part of any Indy V, however. Whether or not that's a good thing is hard to say...

I'd be happy for Marion and/or Mutt to be absent for a large portion of the film but make significant appearances in some form or other...

Raiders90

Spielberg's attitude toward an Indy 5 is MUCH more positive toward his initial attitude to an Indy 4. He says in the special features of KOTCS that he initially just wanted to produce the film and have "some kid" direct it. If I recall correctly, he had some reservations about directing LC in it's initial stages because he felt he was getting too old for the high intensity action of the first two...Part of the reason the Monkey King idea was ditched.

Udvarnoky

Actually, Spielberg even had reservations about directing Temple of Doom, and entertained the notion of just producing that one alongside Lucas as well.

Raiders90

At this point I think a younger director might be best, with Lucas and Spielberg co-producing. Spielberg is great for deeper movies...But he's not so much an action director anymore. He doesn't take risks like he used to.

I do wonder if one director could be brought in for the action scenes, while Spielberg could direct the rest of the film. Not sure how that would work out....