Staff of kings music!

dr.jones1986

GARTHV8ER said:
has anyone tried to pull the music off the game? how would someone go about doing that? any suggestions?

its pretty much all music from the films...and a little from the show, so it can probably all be found else where.

AlivePoet

dr.jones1986 said:
its pretty much all music from the films...and a little from the show, so it can probably all be found else where.

Such a shame... and emphasizes the lackluster efforts of the team, particularly in light of the Fate of Atlantis inclusion, which contained a completely original score.

The Tingler

I would use the comparison of Emperor's Tomb, which not only had a brilliant original score, it was done with a full orchestra! Many reviewers at the time actually mistook it for music ripped from the movies because it was of such a high quality! The Emperor's Tomb theme itself still gives me chills (this one).

There is new stuff, but it's pretty pointless. They don't even make new themes for the Staff and Maggie.

gordyhaabmusic

Quite a bit of new music, actually.

I take it as a (bittersweet) compliment that everyone seems to think all the music is from the original films, but there is actually quite a bit of new music in the game. About an hour worth. All of the fights, battles and chases are scored with music I composed (brand new themes included) - and we did record it with an orchestra!

Regarding hearing the music separated from the game: It'll will be posted to my website soon (pending some logistics). I'll keep this thread posted as to when.

gordyhaabmusic said:
I take it as a (bittersweet) compliment that everyone seems to think all the music is from the original films, but there is actually quite a bit of new music in the game. About an hour worth. All of the fights, battles and chases are scored with music I composed (brand new themes included) - and we did record it with an orchestra!

Regarding hearing the music separated from the game: It'll will be posted to my website soon (pending some logistics). I'll keep this thread posted as to when.

OH SNAP! Friggin know-it-alls!
;)

Trennas

I'm actually very curious about the new music! I had actually given up hope that there would be a new score, but I'm glad there is anyways! :D

InexorableTash

Trust me, there were plenty of us who knew that Staff of Kings had plenty of new music. The teaser interview over at http://www.tracksounds.com/specialfeatures/soundcast/index.htm was... well... a tease.

Kudos on (hopefully) getting the tracks released! I've been very impressed with LucasArts straddling the line between content owner ("it's all proprietary/secret!") and community service ("we're not going to make real money off of it and it'll make the fans happy") with game music, images, etc.

(I'll confess, though, I'm also eager to hear any new McNeely tracks that might be found, for our Young Indy score reconstruction project over yonder: http://raven.theraider.net/showthread.php?t=12504&page=7)

Dewy9

InexorableTash said:
Trust me, there were plenty of us who knew that Staff of Kings had plenty of new music. The teaser interview over at http://www.tracksounds.com/specialfeatures/soundcast/index.htm was... well... a tease.

Kudos on (hopefully) getting the tracks released! I've been very impressed with LucasArts straddling the line between content owner ("it's all proprietary/secret!") and community service ("we're not going to make real money off of it and it'll make the fans happy") with game music, images, etc.

(I'll confess, though, I'm also eager to hear any new McNeely tracks that might be found, for our Young Indy score reconstruction project over yonder: http://raven.theraider.net/showthread.php?t=12504&page=7)

Yeah, LucasArts was nice enough to post the one for Force Unleashed last year on some site, which was then on YouTube, which could then be downloaded through Real Player, burned to a CD, and then put on iTunes. The lengths a fan will go to...

RONDC20

Ok I have to say something about this.

The game itself was lazy, just lazy. I have never seen a more phoned in attempt as a video game in a very long time. I mean it's just......Blegh!

The word mediocre is too good for it. I wont reiterate or bore you with what's already been said. Everything that is wrong with this game has already been commented on, but I will talk about one thing that really bugged me, that no one seemed to really talk about.

The music, Now dont get me wrong, The music in itself was pretty good, but some of the choices were just lazy and not thought out.

Like Mutt's theme showing up or the many instances where Irna's theme plays in some of the cut scenes. I can forgive the usage of the Ark theme when Indy finds the Journal in Panama just barely, but then they used Irna's theme right after that, UGH!! That irked me.

Dont even get me started on the use of Marion's theme at the end.

I hate it when they do stuff like this. Lucasarts does it a lot with Star Wars games. The Ewok theme, Jabba The Hutt's theme or Yoda's theme showing up when your no where near any Ewoks or Jabba or Yoda.

I mean Composer Gordy Habb did a pretty good job with the original music he did compose for the game and I do want to get my hands on it as it's really good, but I don't understand why Lucasarts did not go all the way and had him compose an entirely new music score using The Raider's March like Clint Bajakian did for ET.

He wrote an amazing score for ET. Full of great original themes and still used the Raider's March plenty of times to keep a film score buff and theme fanatic like me happy.

I think you can all now see that I'm a bit of a purist when it comes to film scores and thematic continuity and appropriateness.

I mean it makes no sense to me why They would not have him compose an original score. It's like the satchel thing. It makes no logical sense Every time I heard a theme that did not belong it irked me.

The Only theme I should be hearing on a regular basis during cut scenes and within the context of the game play itself is the Raiders March.

This is by now means ment as any sort of insult to Gordy Habb, His music was amazing in it. But what puzzles me the most is why they did not just have him score the whole game, cutscenes and all with an original score still using the Raider's March.

There was no reason to have Irna's theme or Short Round's theme or Marion's theme or even The Ark theme to show up at all. Again it was just lazy and showed a complete lack of effort.

AlivePoet

RONDC20 said:
There was no reason to have Irna's theme or Short Round's theme or Marion's theme or even The Ark theme to show up at all. Again it was just lazy and showed a complete lack of effort.

Not sure about complete, that sounds a little absolute.*

*I realize that my fellow Montrealers created the game, so I might be slightly in their favour.

The Tingler

gordyhaabmusic said:

All the reviewers I've talked to thought Emperor's Tomb's score was taken from the films, because it was so good! And that was all Clint Bajakian! So yes, take it as a compliment!

The problem is that it was advertised as having a lot of unreleased music from the Young Indy series, so it's hard to work out what was new and what wasn't!

I would've liked at least to hear a proper Staff theme that carried on through the game, but instead it got either the Ark theme or the Temple of Doom.

I was impressed by the new pieces I did hear, however! I just wish it had been all new.

gordyhaabmusic

The Tingler said:
I just wish it had been all new.

Me too!:D It would've been fun to write a few more themes. As soon as I get the green light from LucasArts, I'll make my music available. I'm looking forward to Indy fan feedback! I'm a huge fan myself, so I made sure to pay true homage. Keep you posted.

gordyhaabmusic said:
Me too!:D It would've been fun to write a few more themes. As soon as I get the green light from LucasArts, I'll make my music available. I'm looking forward to Indy fan feedback! I'm a huge fan myself, so I made sure to pay true homage. Keep you posted.
By the way, are you going to offer the music as a "Complete Soundtrack"-download? Or just a few short samples? I mean, if you don't have a chance to publish it on a CD that can be bought, you might just as well put up the whole thing in CD-quality... I know I would be extremely grateful ;)

thehero21

What bothered me about the score besides that it was taken from all the films was that whenever the staff or some other artifact was talked about/came into play either the ark/grail/or skull theme was played, i wish they gave the staff its own theme rather then make me just think of them,on the same note, i hated how Marion's theme was played at the end when it was Indy and the girl, she should have also had her own theme but i guess its just another reason why i hate Staff of kings and love emporers tomb, the score in emporers tomb made the story its own adeventure for Indy and not borrowed from anything else musically, you had completely new themes and music and that really helps to pull you into the story rather then just hearing someones else theme pull from the film.

RONDC20

thehero21 said:
What bothered me about the score besides that it was taken from all the films was that whenever the staff or some other artifact was talked about/came into play either the ark/grail/or skull theme was played, i wish they gave the staff its own theme rather then make me just think of them,on the same note, i hated how Marion's theme was played at the end when it was Indy and the girl, she should have also had her own theme but i guess its just another reason why i hate Staff of kings and love emporers tomb, the score in emporers tomb made the story its own adeventure for Indy and not borrowed from anything else musically, you had completely new themes and music and that really helps to pull you into the story rather then just hearing someones else theme pull from the film.

OMG! thehero21 I feel exactly the same way. Check out my earlier post to read my thoughts on it which are identical to yours.

Right On Man!

thehero21

RONDC20 said:
OMG! thehero21 I feel exactly the same way. Check out my earlier post to read my thoughts on it which are identical to yours.

Right On Man!

haha i just noticed that,great minds think alike :p

Col. Detritch

I personally don't care about the use of past scores. It adds character with the boost of a familiar theme. The Ark's theme represents danger and mystery, the Grail Theme (Though I didn't hear it) represents the ultimate prize and glory, Irina's Theme can represent sly villiany and power and the use of Temple of Doom music in Istanbul adds a middle-eastern, Turkish flavor that suits perfectly. When you hear these themes you revert to an emotion or mood that fits the scene like with Istanbul.

A Staff theme would have been great but I'd rather a desent re-used (though not entirely) score than a new desent score and a crap story and lack of plot and character! (I'm refering to Emperor's Tomb):hat:

Jono11

Col. Detritch said:
A Staff theme would have been great but I'd rather a desent re-used (though not entirely) score than a new desent score and a crap story and lack of plot and character! (I'm refering to Emperor's Tomb):hat:
...because we got a great story and a lot of plot and character from Staff of Kings?

RONDC20

Col. Detritch said:
I personally don't care about the use of past scores. It adds character with the boost of a familiar theme. The Ark's theme represents danger and mystery, the Grail Theme (Though I didn't hear it) represents the ultimate prize and glory, Irina's Theme can represent sly villiany and power and the use of Temple of Doom music in Istanbul adds a middle-eastern, Turkish flavor that suits perfectly. When you hear these themes you revert to an emotion or mood that fits the scene like with Istanbul.

Ok Whatever. I'm not trying to sound mean but that's just about the stupidest thing Ive ever heard.

The reuse of themes when you already have a composer is dumb, lazy and inexcusable. Don't try to defend it.

It still pisses me of that we got such a crappy Indy game. I bought it and a week later I was back at Gamestop trading it is toward my purchase of Ghostbusters for PS3.

I gave the game a chance. I beat it and as I got farther and farther it just got worse and worse.

Face it the game was snot and for anyone to say other wise is just denial.