Short Round's theme as the Trek Music in ToD...

michael

Did John Williams use and compose Short Round's theme as the trek music to indicate that he was going to be the real hero inside the actual Temple of Doom?

Mainly that heroic rendition with the panoramic view of them on the elephants passing through the water. Love that bit.

Without Short Round, Indy would've been forever a member of Mola Ram's cult.

Was he hinting at the heroics that were to come or am I just looking into this too much.

And also, IMO, it's the greatest musical moment in all of the movies.

Darth Vile

michael said:
Did John Williams use and compose Short Round's theme as the trek music to indicate that he was going to be the real hero inside the actual Temple of Doom?

Mainly that heroic rendition with the panoramic view of them on the elephants passing through the water. Love that bit.

Without Short Round, Indy would've been forever a member of Mola Ram's cult.

Was he hinting at the heroics that were to come or am I just looking into this too much.

And also, IMO, it's the greatest musical moment in all of the movies.

I personally thought it always seemed very out of place. I love the music in the direct approach to Pankot - very fitting. But Short Round's theme... nah.

michael

You honestly don't think that theme works for the trek music? :eek:

I mean I know Temple of Doom isn't high up on your list, but come on man, that trek part is what adventure is all about!

Darth Vile

michael said:
You honestly don't think that theme works for the trek music? :eek:

I mean I know Temple of Doom isn't high up on your list, but come on man, that trek part is what adventure is all about!

Not really Michael... as you yourself point out, it's out of place. I don't think there is anything wrong with the theme per se (although a bit predictable)... but as a cue it's in the wrong place (IMHO). In essence what you get is a presented vista of India with Japanese type music. Don't get me wrong, I don't kill because of it. I just think it's an odd choice and certainly way down my list of musical moments in the Indy movies.

AlivePoet

Darth Vile said:
In essence what you get is a presented vista of India with Japanese type music.

What is ironic, Darth, is that (as you know) the film was shot in Sri Lanka (this particular shot near Pinnawala Elephant Orphanage). I've traveled throughout both countries and have found that Sri Lanka is considerably more lush/tropical than the jungles I visited in India. So the vista is as inaccurate as the musical cue.

Like Michael, I too think the pinnacle of excitement/adventure (the goosebumps and what not) in the films comes right after "Fortune and glory" when Indy jumps on the elephant. The music is triumphant and, coupled with the beautiful trek, is a defining moment in the Indy series. It's what first comes to mind for me when I think of the Indy films. (Maybe because I watched it before the other two.) :hat:

michael

Darth Vile said:
Not really Michael... as you yourself point out, it's out of place. I don't think there is anything wrong with the theme per se (although a bit predictable)... but as a cue it's in the wrong place (IMHO). In essence what you get is a presented vista of India with Japanese type music. Don't get me wrong, I don't kill because of it. I just think it's an odd choice and certainly way down my list of musical moments in the Indy movies.
No I never said it was out of place.

And also, I really don't think the cue had to have an Indian vibe to it for it to work. I'd be hard pressed to believe that you ever thought that it was out of place prior to this thread.

AlivePoet said:
I too think the pinnacle of excitement/adventure (the goosebumps and what not) in the films comes right after "Fortune and glory" when Indy jumps on the elephant. The music is triumphant and, coupled with the beautiful trek, is a defining moment in the Indy series. It's what first comes to mind for me when I think of the Indy films. (Maybe because I watched it before the other two.)

Worded better than I.

But anyways, nobody has really addressed my original question in this thread.

I know it's looking into it A LOT, but at this point, I don't have much else to talk about.

Darth Vile

michael said:
No I never said it was out of place.

And also, I really don't think the cue had to have an Indian vibe to it for it to work. I'd be hard pressed to believe that you ever thought that it was out of place prior to this thread.

Isn't the premise of the thread based on the notion that the cue is unexpected? Ergo not expected, out of place? If not, why have a thread asking the question re. intent of filmmakers to have the cue there at that particular part of the movie???

For you it works. For me it doesn't. And let me assure you it's a view I've had for many, many years. The cue doesn't have to have an Indian vibe at all... it could be neutral, it could be a version of the 'Raiders March'. But the fact that it's oriental seems misjudged. It's not a big thing, it doesn't keep me awake... but I don't agree. Sorry.

In relation to your original point. No I don't think it was a deliberate move to underline the heroics of Short Round. I think it was an editing choice to have an upbeat cue (that wasn't more of the Raiders March). They didn't have anything else so they put a variation of Short Round's theme there. I think that's probably the reality of it.

Faleel

Darth Vile said:
In relation to your original point. No I don't think it was a deliberate move to underline the heroics of Short Round. I think it was an editing choice to have an upbeat cue (that wasn't more of the Raiders March). They didn't have anything else so they put a variation of Short Round's theme there. I think that's probably the reality of it.

Either that or Williams thought it made musical sense for it to be there.

Its almost like using Leia's theme for Ben's Death....

HenryJunior

Titles of music doesn't define use, for example another John Williams composition that is always thought of as the Harry Potter Theme, when it is in fact "Hedwig's Theme" (his owl).