Secret of the Incas (1954)

Quartermain

solomon's Mines

Thanks Stoo, I really enjoyed both King Solomon's Mines and Watusi. Someday I hope to check out the original King Solomon's Mines from the '30s.

Has anyone ever seen 'Quest for the Lost City'...the documentary about the Lamb couple, from the 1950's? From what I hear it's pretty amazing.

Stoo

It's a good bet you'll enjoy the 1937 version (my personal favourite) since the
story is much closer to the original novel. A movie well worth owning!

What is the picture quality like on the DVDs you received from ioffer.com?
Is there any indication as to what their sources may be? I was wondering
if they were recorded from TV, copied from VHS, or transferred from an
actual film print.

"Quest for the Lost City" - you've heard about it - cool!:cool: I have been
trying to track that one down for awhile now. If you ever acquire a copy,
please let me know!

Quartermain

2 videos

Secret of the Incas is pristine! Watusi is pretty good, but not quite as sharp. Still worth viewing, and the artwork is fantastic on both.

as far as "Quest for the Lost City", last I heard, the Adventure Club of America (I think that's what it's called), has the film. I wonder if they would do a DVD transfer?

P

phillipmscott

Secret of the Incas

The Secret of the Incas - did anyone catch this major Indy influence on Five ( UK ) last Sunday afternoon. I managed to tape it - perhaps someone here knows how / where this can be burnt onto DVD ( as it's not available in this, or any format ).

Finn

Staff member
phillipmscott said:
I managed to tape it - perhaps someone here knows how / where this can be burnt onto DVD ( as it's not available in this, or any format ).
All you need is a PC with a video card that's got a TV-out plugin and a little tweaking to capture vids on disc... for home use that is. Distributing it world- or even nationwide is whole another copyright issue shebang however...

P

phillipmscott

Thanks Finn, of course I wouldn't want to get into any kind of copyright issues. As in all the best defences - "it's for personal use only" ;)

I appreciate the technical assist - boards seem a little quiet here - wasn't expecting much activity.

Cracking movie though, especially if you are looking for a true proto-Indy.

Best Regards,

Phill

Finn

Staff member
phillipmscott said:
I appreciate the technical assist - boards seem a little quiet here - wasn't expecting much activity.
We aren't exactly slashdot, but alive enough anyway, thank you.

And you're right, it sounds like a captivating movie. Wish I could get a copy.

CKwriter

Just wanted to give everyone a heads-up. Secret of the Incas is on again this coming Sunday, 25th of March and once again on Five (UK).

Peter

|ZiR|

I always get this movie confused with The Treasure of the Sierra Madre (1948). Which one has Bogart again? :s

Oh and I suggested it to TCM, too, because, well, why not?

|ZiR| said:
I always get this movie confused with The Treasure of the Sierra Madre (1948). Which one has Bogart again? :s

Oh and I suggested it to TCM, too, because, well, why not?

Sierra Madre has Bogie... LOVE that film. Just rewatched it last week...

|ZiR|

ResidentAlien said:
Sierra Madre has Bogie... LOVE that film. Just rewatched it last week...

Ah, okay. Thanks. The two films have sort of melded together in my head, heaven knows why.

I think I prefer Sierra Madre, too, but then it has been a while since I've seen Incas.

|ZiR| said:
Ah, okay. Thanks. The two films have sort of melded together in my head, heaven knows why.

I think I prefer Sierra Madre, too, but then it has been a while since I've seen Incas.

I still have been unable to track down Secret of the Incas. :(

Stoo

|ZiR| said:

Considering "Incas" is in colour, that is pretty puzzling! "Sierra Madre" is much better film all-around but I prefer "Incas".
Now that we have a full '50s Indy adventure, the Chuck Heston flick is, somehow, even more special than it was before.

Ska

Now that I have a new computer (with DVD ripping capabilities), I might be able to copy my VHS version to DVD...then upload the movie from the DVD to my computer...then YouTube that puppy.

Watching movies on the computer isn't the best way to enjoy it, but at least the people really wanting to see this movie could see it.

If there are still a few interested people, I'll give it a whirl...

deckard24

I just watched Secret of the Incas recently, and to be honest after all the hype it really wasn't very good! Treasure of the Sierra Madre is ten times better! Charlton Heston was good, and there's no doubt where the look of Indy came from, but overall it just was a boring film. There's one particularly good escape scene, and another scene that is very reminiscent of the Map Room sequence in Raiders, but that's it. Nothing really happens in the film but a lot of talk. It's cool to see where the character of Indy evolved from, but I guess I was really hoping for something special.

I'm glad I can say I've seen it, but overall I wasn't impressed!

You can order copies off eBay if you're really interested.
http://cgi.ebay.com/SECRET-OF-THE-I...NameZWD2VQQcmdZViewItemQQ_trksidZp1638Q2em122
But in my opinion order a copy of Treasure of the Sierra Madre instead!

James Byrne

Secret of the incas - anything but boring

SECRET OF THE INCAS is anything but boring. I first saw this wonderful movie when I was 10 years old in 1963 and was instantly hooked on it. The movie even inspired me to travel to Peru last year and visit all the sites seen in the location footage at Machu Picchu and Cuzco. There are at least five other fans of this movie who have trekked the Inca Trail just because they saw the great Charlton Heston hunting for inca gold in the jungles of the Andes. The music, especially the singing of Yma Sumac, blew my mind when I first saw SECRET OF THE INCAS. This movie had such an effect on me that I have a web site devoted to it:

www.secretoftheincas.co.uk

Ska

Nice website, James!

It's great to see such a tribute to an excellent movie. Thanks for the link.

Keep up the good work! (y)