TheRaider.net

Go Back   The Raven > Off Topic > Films
User Name
Password

Old 11-21-2012, 12:03 AM   #101
Dr. Gonzo
IndyFan

As opposed to opening a new thread on the next two Star Wars films after the 7th film, I'm placing this info here as well as in the "Disney acquires Lucasfilm" thread.

So it is being widely speculated and confirmed in some places that Lawrence Kasdan has been hired to write the screenplay for either Star Wars 8 or 9 as well as co-producing both...

At first this sounded a bit like fan boy hooey, but now several legitimate sources are just about confirming it, including a friend of mine that has been 99% accurate on information he sends my way.

http://www.slashfilm.com/disney-look...9/#more-149265
Dr. Gonzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 07:51 AM   #102
AndyLGR
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Montana Smith
The first leaked picture from Star Wars VII:

Thats very good.
AndyLGR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 07:54 AM   #103
AndyLGR
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Gonzo
As opposed to opening a new thread on the next two Star Wars films after the 7th film, I'm placing this info here as well as in the "Disney acquires Lucasfilm" thread.

So it is being widely speculated and confirmed in some places that Lawrence Kasdan has been hired to write the screenplay for either Star Wars 8 or 9 as well as co-producing both...

At first this sounded a bit like fan boy hooey, but now several legitimate sources are just about confirming it, including a friend of mine that has been 99% accurate on information he sends my way.

http://www.slashfilm.com/disney-look...9/#more-149265
I arent sure what to make of it. On the one hand he was involved in 2 of my favourite movies ever (ESB & ROTLA), but on the other hand I arent sure if it would be better to have a fresh pair of eyes on the films.
Old 11-21-2012, 11:01 AM   #104
kongisking
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyLGR
I arent sure what to make of it. On the one hand he was involved in 2 of my favourite movies ever (ESB & ROTLA), but on the other hand I arent sure if it would be better to have a fresh pair of eyes on the films.

Huh. Never expected that to happen. Damn, this is good news!
kongisking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 11:17 AM   #105
AndyLGR
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by kongisking
Huh. Never expected that to happen. Damn, this is good news!
For me if Kasdan is involved then expectation levels go even higher than before.
Old 11-21-2012, 05:30 PM   #106
roundshort
IndyFan

Fromt he Pics on the other page, looks like Both Carrie F and Mark H are both trying to land the role of Jabba the Hut!
roundshort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 07:57 PM   #107
featofstrength
IndyFan

Quote:
The first leaked picture from Star Wars VII:

Now let's blow this thing so we can all go to Country Kitchen Buffet!

Kasdan? worked the first time around, but, cmon, getting the writer of the now commonplace "second act needs to be the darkest" cliche to do the same thing again..."it's like poetry"...poetry thats supposed to make billions of dollars, eh, Disney?
featofstrength is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 05:36 PM   #108
Raiders112390
IndyFan

Quote:
It was contrived in that he met so many movers and shakers of the day just so George could introduce them to the kids.

When he met Kafka even the adventure became a surreal exercise, as though stepping into one of the author's novels.

The TV series was more unrealistic, in terms of style, than surviving a fall from an aeroplane in a life raft, because the Indy films were about the pulp serial. But George saw an opportunity to push his growing interest in education. The pulp serials which inspired Indy were cerebrally unchallenging films intended to keep a child's interest from one week to the next. Lucas and Spielberg's motive had been to update them for a modern audience. The education aspect is something unrelated and 'out of character', in that the films were intentionally, and unintentionally, full of so many factual errors.

It was the beginning of the end for Indy, considering the mess that happened in 2008. In the midst of that came the mess that were the SW Prequels.

Hence, as before, keeping these thoughts on topic, Lucas selling Indy and Star Wars is the best thing that could happen to them. There's a chance of seeing something of a more classic nature, rather than something that's the product of a mind no longer in step with the original creations.

The way I see it, for all we know, Indy in his own universe could be something of a famous person. I mean Chatter Lal refers of his name years ago at Oxford, and refers to Indy as imminent.

I don't really find the YIJC to be the beginning of the end for Indy. It's just another chapter in his story.

His surviving all the things we see in the original trilogy (such as the fall from the mountain on the raft) through the fridge are just part of the fun that is Indy.

I find Indy meeting the historical figures he met no more unrealistic than Indy acquiring his hat, the idea of using a whip as a weapon, his future adventure wardrobe, his fear of snakes, along with his desire of being an adventurer, all in a span of fifteen minutes.

This isn't gritty realism, it's Indiana Jones. If he can have his biggest life changing events occur during 15 minute in 1912, happen to find the Sankara Stones, The Ark of the Covenant, the Holy Grail, the Crystal Skull, coming face to face with Adolf Hitler, surviving the events of the truck chase, tank chase, the raft ride, and the fridge, I can buy what we see in the YIJC. If Indy's said to exist in a universe where the Hindu Pantheon, the Old Testament God, the New Testament God, and Aliens all apparently exist, I can buy the YIJC. And Harrison Ford's cameo as an older Indy solidifies the series as canon, at least for me.

As I stated in another thread, the YIJC are Lucas' last great work. I accept them as the story of Indy's youth, and use the Bantam novels to fill in the blanks in his history--And they do help bridge the gap as in the Bantam novels, in the first few Indy is much like he is in the YIJC, and he develops fully into the Indy we meet in Shanghai in 1935.

If the Chronicles were on par with the prequels, we'd have had Indy and Belloq being childhood friends and Henry Sr. having gone to University with Belloq's father; We'd have had an explanation for EVERYTHING. We'd have Indy's vaguely hinted at "knighthood" in LC be validated as being part of a long forgotten Christian prophecy. The YIJC leaves as many questions open as it answers. We don't know when that defining moment is when Indy finally puts on the gear and steps out into the wild for the first time; We have hints of it and experiences which show us how he became so good at surviving and cunningly getting by, and we see where his cynicism begins to develop and how he and Henry fell out. If it was like the prequels, we'd have had young Indy being a totally unlikable, borderline evil brat.

Last edited by Raiders112390 : 11-23-2012 at 05:43 PM.
Raiders112390 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 01:00 AM   #109
Montana Smith
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raiders112390
If it was like the prequels, we'd have had young Indy being a totally unlikable, borderline evil brat.

Rather than the sugary sweet Anakin who showed children important people from history.

The YIJC were a divergence from the Indiana Jones films. Lucas used the 'Indiana Jones' name because it was in the popular consciousness, and could be employed for other means. Is there an equivalent of falling from a 'plane in a liferaft in the series? The YIJC only gets wild during a hallowe'en story, and crazy for an introduction to Kafka.

To me it feels as far from the films as the Star Wars Prequels felt to the OT. That was the reason for bringing up YIJC in the Star Wars 7 thread: Lucas' transformation with regards to his two major universes. The YIJC chronicles were out of step with the films, just as the SW Prequels were out of step with the OT.

Something which has how hopefully been checked by Disney's acquisition of Lucasfilm. Even if Lucas is involved in the writing of Star Wars 7, there's a chance that others will override any future Jar Jar-isms.

But it's only a chance. A chance that didn't previously seem possible with Lucas fully at the helm. Disney may, in fact, demand more Jar Jar-isms!
Montana Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 02:50 AM   #110
Montana Smith
IndyFan

Lucasfilm in colour.

Good
Bad

1977 SW
1980 TESB
1981 ROTLA

1983 ROTJ Ewoks, the beginning of the SW downfall
1984 TOD
1984 The Ewok Adventure (Caravan of Courage)
1985 Ewoks: The Battle of Endor

1989 TLC
1992-93 YICJ the beginning of the Indy downfall
1997 SW Special Editions Greedo shoots first
1999 TPM Jar Jar Binks
2002 AOTC
2005 ROTS
2008 KOTCS Mutt Binks, monkeys and snakegate

2015 SW VII under Disney ???
Old 11-28-2012, 12:48 PM   #111
Lego Indy
IndyFan

I thought that ROTS (Ep 3) was pretty good. Best of the prequels. It has been ranked pretty high on Rotten Tomatoes too.
Lego Indy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 01:43 PM   #112
Dr. Gonzo
IndyFan

Quote:
Lucasfilm in colour.

Good
Bad

2015 SW VII under Disney ???

Now that's a horse of a different color.

Last edited by Dr. Gonzo : 11-28-2012 at 01:55 PM.
Old 11-28-2012, 05:25 PM   #113
featofstrength
IndyFan

the Ewok movies are bad? I think they are pretty exceptional, especially for made for tv films. Battle for Endor has more going for it than all the prequels combined.
Old 11-28-2012, 07:13 PM   #114
Grizzlor
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by featofstrength
the Ewok movies are bad? I think they are pretty exceptional, especially for made for tv films. Battle for Endor has more going for it than all the prequels combined.
They are not bad, they are incredibly bad! I rewatched them recently and they were terrible. The effects were so bad, and neither film had anything to do with Star Wars.
Grizzlor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 12:31 AM   #115
Montana Smith
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by featofstrength

You're right. They were excellent films...if compared to something like Ed Wood's Plan 9 From Outer Space or The Phantom Menace.

Zip-up suits, cardboard feet and creatures on prominent wires make these look like rejected episodes from old Doctor Who series. Would've made more sense if Lucas had chosen the full Muppet routine.
Old 11-29-2012, 07:29 PM   #116
kongisking
IndyFan

Quote:
You're right. They were excellent films...if compared to something like Ed Wood's Plan 9 From Outer Space or The Phantom Menace.

Zip-up suits, cardboard feet and creatures on prominent wires make these look like rejected episodes from old Doctor Who series. Would've made more sense if Lucas had chosen the full Muppet routine.

Funny you mention Muppets, as I've had tons of fun speculating with friends about what a Muppet version of Star Wars would be like. Hilarious it would be, methinks.
Old 11-29-2012, 09:48 PM   #117
featofstrength
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by kongisking
Funny you mention Muppets, as I've had tons of fun speculating with friends about what a Muppet version of Star Wars would be like. Hilarious it would be, methinks.

I'll stick with the single Muppet Show episode crossover.
Old 01-24-2013, 06:05 PM   #118
Dr. Gonzo
IndyFan

Star Wars VII gets it's director...

J. J. Abrams

http://www.slashfilm.com/j-j-abrams-...s-episode-vii/

Looks like he's got command of both "Star" enterprises...

...see what I did there? Eh? Ehh?

Star-Wars-Abrams-Logo
Old 01-24-2013, 06:09 PM   #119
Vance
IndyFan

And Star Wars becomes yet another "summer blockbuster" quick-buck machine - with not much more to the franchise than that. If you listen carefully, you can hear millions of Star Wars fans crying out ....
Vance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 08:37 PM   #120
kongisking
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vance
And Star Wars becomes yet another "summer blockbuster" quick-buck machine - with not much more to the franchise than that.

Yup. Because the name "J.J. Abrams" automatically makes me think that this franchise will become a megaton moneymaker. Because Star Wars has never been that before, and God forbid any change...

Old 01-25-2013, 03:32 AM   #121
AndyLGR
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vance
And Star Wars becomes yet another "summer blockbuster" quick-buck machine - with not much more to the franchise than that. If you listen carefully, you can hear millions of Star Wars fans crying out ....
Not sure if that post is sarcastic or not? SW has always been a summer blockbuster event, especially the OT.

I'm quite excited to see JJ Abrams linked to the new films. I like what hes been involved with so far especially Star Trek, Super 8, Cloverfield, Person of Interest and Lost.
Old 01-25-2013, 04:23 AM   #122
Montana Smith
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyLGR
I'm quite excited to see JJ Abrams linked to the new films. I like what hes been involved with so far especially Star Trek, Super 8, Cloverfield, Person of Interest and Lost.

Star Trek was better than I expected, though it's not a 'franchise' I follow very closely anymore. (The various series became a little too much soap opera instead of space opera).

Became an avid fan of Alias and Lost once I had the DVDs.

I think Abrams is good news for Star Wars. He has the chance of adding new impetus, and taking it back to its space opera/Flash Gordon roots, away from the political drudge that Lucas mired it with.

With his prequels Lucas drained some of the mystery and the wonder out of the universe. Those three films pale into insignificance against some of the early expanded universe novels which really captured the spirit of the Star Wars. Gunfighters, gamblers and smugglers making their way through a universe of strange planets, aliens and robots.

To me Star Wars was more than the story of Darth Vader and his family. Vader, originally under the thumb of Grand Moff Tarkin, was just one of many villains.

Thankfully, or hopefully, Vader's life story has now been told, and Abrams can move on.

However, with the main characters now much older, Star Wars 7 is going to feel different. Though at least the children of Han and Leia will by now be old enough to be interesting. So long as Shia LeHam isn't offered one of the roles!
Old 01-25-2013, 10:36 AM   #123
featofstrength
IndyFan

MEH.

Old 01-25-2013, 11:00 AM   #124
Pale Horse

Pale Horse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 12:51 AM   #125
Dr. Gonzo
IndyFan

Disney issues official press release confirming Abrams as director

http://www.slashfilm.com/disney-issu...s-episode-vii/

Only real thing worth noting here are quotes from Kennedy, Lucas himself and Abrams... also more on the involvement of Kasdan besides writing something other than Episode VII...

Quote:
Also consulting on the project are Lawrence Kasdan and Simon Kinberg. Kasdan has a long history with Lucasfilm, as screenwriter on The Empire Strikes Back, Raiders of the Lost Ark and Return of the Jedi. Kinberg was writer on Sherlock Holmes and Mr. and Mrs. Smith.

And this...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pale Horse

...probably the best use of that music/sound I've ever seen outside it's origin.