Indiana Jones and the Disney Connection

Pale Horse

Staff member
A quick aside

Stoo said:
(and I have a photo of me with Goofy to prove it).

I'd love to see this. I have been mostly absent, save one thread here, closing escrow and moving. The bulk of that is done, and I shall return to:
  • A) posting in this thread again

• B) Returning to the Park for an undisclosed surprise

• C) Answering my PM's....

I just want to see a goofy Stoo, that' all.... :p

mattzilla2010

Stoo said:
A base requirement for an 'Indy adventure' is a certain level of violence & gore.
I can't really argue against this because it just comes down to a difference in opinion. To me the ride has never felt like it's missing anything that keeps it from being a great 'Indy adventure'.

Stoo said:
Skeletons & skulls are not horrific enough and quite on par with anything that was already present in "Pirates of the Caribbean" or "Haunted Mansion".
The only difference is that the skeletons in Pirates are stationary and the ghosts in Haunted Mansion are decidedly silly and kid-friendly.

Stoo said:
Obviously, Disney is the most skilled to produce rides and Forbidden Eye 'fits' with Adventureland's theme
So why are you complaining? :p

Stoo said:
but the Lucasfilm presence still came across as odd to someone who grew up with Disney in the period before Lucasfilm's involvement. Perhaps Disney+Lucas is easier to accept for those who weren't born/were too young during the untainted days?:confused:
I can understand that. I wasn't born yet when Star Tours opened and a mere toddler upon my first visit to Disneyland when, funnily enough, Indy had just opened for the first time. So for me Disneyland has always had those two attractions.

But my parents grew up with a Lucas-free Disneyland, and they both love the Indy ride. For whatever that's worth.

Stoo said:
Well, Mickey and Goofy were roaming around Adventureland in Paris, April 2008, dressed in full safari gear w/pith helmets (and I have a photo of me with Goofy to prove it). Mickey & Goofy were also in Tomorrowland dressed as astronauts in Orlando, July 1982 (which I also have a photo of).
Yeah, that would feel weird to me too. I can only speak for the California park.

The only character I've ever seen in Adventureland is this guy: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jXkGWSlDkEo

Stoo said:
However, I highly doubt there is any height requirement for the Indy Stunt Spectacular.:p
Yep, you're probably right! But the stunt show does have a guy getting killed by a plane propellor, so maybe (hopefully?) that serves as enough of a warning to parents whose young children would want to watch the movies after seeing the show.

Stoo said:
*NOTE: Please be aware that it's the established Disney ethic of good, clean, wholesome fun which is one of the issues here (and bears no reflection on my own, personal ethics towards exposure of non-G related material).;)
I would agree that that used to be the Disney ethic, and to a huge extent still is, but they've also branched out a lot since around the mid-80s (haphazard estimating there). Especially in the last ten years they've made more movies like Pirates of the Caribbean, Tron Legacy, Prince of Persia, etc. Disney has wanted to reach a broader audience for a number of years.

Stoo

Pale Horse said:
I'd love to see this.

I just want to see a goofy Stoo, that' all.... :p
I will indulge your request, Mr. Horse.:p

---
2008, April 26: Disneyland Paris

Bought this stuffed toy for my 2-year-old nephew. This is exactly the way Mickey was dressed wandering about Adventureland in Paris. I saw him briefly before he skipped merrily away down a jungle path with a horde of children following along. (I wanted to get my picture with him but there was no way I was going to chase after the mouse with a bunch of clamoring kids.:eek:)

MickeySafari.jpg

Then my all-time favourite, animated Disney character, Goofy, showed up and posed with me for this photo. Hyuk! Golly...:)

GoofyStoo.jpg

mattzilla2010 said:
Yeah, that would feel weird to me too. I can only speak for the California park.

The only character I've ever seen in Adventureland is this guy: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jXkGWSlDkEo
Seeing Mickey & Goofy wander around Adventureland isn't 'weird'. They are Disney characters in a Disney park. What is weird would be seeing Indiana Jones wandering around for he is NOT a Disney character.:p (Seeing a full-sized X-wing in the Paris park was pretty freaking weird, too.)

Last edited:

mattzilla2010

Stoo said:
Seeing Mickey & Goofy wander around Adventureland isn't 'weird'. They are Disney characters in a Disney park. What is weird would be seeing Indiana Jones wandering around for he is NOT a Disney character.:p (Seeing a full-sized X-wing in the Paris park was pretty freaking weird, too.)
Ohhhhhh... wow, somewhere along the line I got the idea that you said Mickey, Goofy, etc did not belong anywhere near the Indy/Star Wars rides. But you meant that the rides did not belong anywhere near them of course.

But again, in Adventureland, where no Fantasylands, princess castles, or cartoon characters are anywhere to be seen, and every effort is made to create a well-themed and immersive "jungle exploration" experience, I see nothing wrong with having Indiana Jones wander around. The theme of the land and having characters that represent that theme is way more important to me than whether or not they were created by Disney. I'd say that's been the idea of the park since it first opened.

And as others have said, if the Disneyland folks made a non-Indy lost temple adventure ride, it would only ever be perceived as a cheap knock-off of Indiana Jones. I doubt such a ride would have achieved the same level of success and popularity among park-goers. So why not just go for the best of the best if the option is available to you?

P.S. Wow Stoo, I never knew you had such dashing good looks.

Le Saboteur

Attila the Professor said:
This one I grant. Harper Goff, the designer, frequently mentioned The African Queen at the time. On the other hand, the attraction is not merely African and has a lot more wildlife involved than the film does. The land <I>was</I> originally to be called True-Life Adventureland, after the series of films, but no direct reference to that series remained in the land, from what I understand, upon the park's opening.

To my knowledge, Harper Goff torpedoed Walt's plans for live animals because of the fact that they'd be asleep for much, if not all of, the operating day. And when they weren't asleep, they'd be hiding. Once the live animals were scrapped, the "True-Life" portion of Adventureland was similarly done away with.

One thing that I didn't know until recently, however, was that Disney still played the ride's narration straight. The camp and corny vaudevillian jokes weren't added until a few years later. While I find the jokes to be eternally amusing, I wouldn't mind it reverting to a more serious tone. The ride itself would have to be re-worked, but it could be done. That brief golden period just after the opening of The Temple of the Four Hour Breakdown deserves a second chance.

Dig it!

K%26J+DL55+amazonbelle.jpg

While the late Mr. Goff may have mentioned The African Queen regularly at the time of design and construction, what are you referring to as the nod to the original project, Stoo? Yes, the steamer fleet is quite obviously inspired by the Queen, but that's where the similarities end.

It should also be noted that nowhere on the ride does it mention the debt of inspiration it owes to Mr. Huston. It's only through popular lore that is even known.

As previously mentioned, Animal Kingdom seems to inherited this "True-Life Adventureland" mantle. Whether intentional or not, I couldn't say. From what I know of the Kilimanjaro Safari Tour though, this seems to be the case. Disney has taken the natural world, imbued it with a few stock ride tricks, and layered it with a pro-conservation, anti-poaching message.

Well.

But in getting back to my original intent, it seems that Al Lutz is convinced that the new Avatar additions are destined only for Florida and the Asian Parks. It makes a certain amount of sense, but I wonder what information he has.

Al Lutz said:
Upon a closer look the Avatar/Cameron deal appears to be more geared towards the overseas parks and at appealing to Orlando's huge overseas visitor base. Shanghai Disneyland is a strong contender for an Avatar land within a year or two of opening, and there?s a large expansion pad in Tokyo DisneySea that the Imagineers would love to sell the Oriental Land Company on using for Avatar. Those are the top two contenders, with the Studios park in Paris a very long shot due to the Paris resort?s shaky financials and the current European situation.

It's only a couple of paragraphs in a larger article, but you can read it here. Past articles can be found here.

mattzilla said:
But again, in Adventureland, where no Fantasylands, princess castles, or cartoon characters are anywhere to be seen, and every effort is made to create a well-themed and immersive "jungle exploration"...

You must have missed Aladdin & Jasmine. Or the groovy calypso bands that used to play in that exact spot atop the boathouse. I've seen Tarzan there before, and The Jungle Book stalwarts, but I think the absence of characters has more to do with logistics than anything else. The area is so congested already that a popular character would bring the entire land to a screeching halt.

As an example, after the second Pirates movie came out, I saw Jack Sparrow attempting to make his way towards New Orleans Square. Unfortunately a throng of teenage girls and children were holding him up... right around Bengal Barbecue. That's also right near the entrance to Indy, and the mob of people eventually blocked access to the rest of the park.

Despite the apparent mis-theming, this guy would add a metric tonne to the street-mosphere of Adventureland. Just a little section off by the bazaar would be all he needed...

Thanks for reminding me of that Summer of Adventure, matt! It really made Adventureland stand out as a unique environment, and is funny because I had that exact same idea for a roving stunt show just after Indy initially opened. I need to dig out those ideas.

Stoo

Le Saboteur said:
While the late Mr. Goff may have mentioned The African Queen regularly at the time of design and construction, what are you referring to as the nod to the original project, Stoo? Yes, the steamer fleet is quite obviously inspired by the Queen, but that's where the similarities end.

It should also be noted that nowhere on the ride does it mention the debt of inspiration it owes to Mr. Huston. It's only through popular lore that is even known.
The nod I speak of is in the Florida version of Jungle Cruise. Each of the boats have names and one of them is, "The African Queen".

(I LOVE Harper Goff's work and have a great magazine article on him. You should see what his apartment used to look like. Nautilus, baby!(y))
mattzilla2010 said:
P.S. Wow Stoo, I never knew you had such dashing good looks.
I didn't want to blind people with my magnificence. Ha ha.:) Though you can see my photo around here if you look in the right places.
Montana Smith said:
Stewie looks eggsactly like a deleted scene from Temple of Doom!

I suspect fowl play!
:D

Henry W Jones

Montana Smith said:
Stewie looks eggsactly like a deleted scene from Temple of Doom!

I suspect fowl play!

Oh Yeah? I never saw that scene. Is there a photo or clip of the scene so we can compare? Probably not. Will have to take your word for it. Damn.

Montana Smith

Henry W Jones said:
Oh Yeah? I never saw that scene. Is there a photo or clip of the scene so we can compare? Probably not. Will have to take your word for it. Damn.

"And I thought my jokes were bad."

tumblr_l5u1ns4xZF1qa4w2fo1_500.jpg

Stoo

Henry W Jones said:
This is a conversation about Indy & Disney so save it for the egg thread, Dopey!:p:whip:

Dopey.jpg

mattzilla2010

Le Saboteur said:
You must have missed Aladdin & Jasmine.
No, didn't miss 'em, just figured they were in a different category from Mickey & friends. At least they're human.

Le Saboteur said:
Or the groovy calypso bands that used to play in that exact spot atop the boathouse. I've seen Tarzan there before, and The Jungle Book stalwarts, but I think the absence of characters has more to do with logistics than anything else. The area is so congested already that a popular character would bring the entire land to a screeching halt.
Wow, I did miss the bands, Tarzan and the Jungle Book characters though! And I agree about the area congestion. It's an absolute madhouse sometimes! :dead:

Le Saboteur said:
Thanks for reminding me of that Summer of Adventure, matt! It really made Adventureland stand out as a unique environment, and is funny because I had that exact same idea for a roving stunt show just after Indy initially opened. I need to dig out those ideas.
I was quite excited for our annual family Disneyland trip in summer '08. The roaming Indy show was certainly a highlight for me. Did you ever do that scavenger hunt thing they had? You had to find those ancient symbols all over Adventureland and then combine and translate them into a phrase warning you about the Temple of the Forbidden Eye. :D I was giddy as a schoolboy...

mattzilla2010

Did you just watch The Dark Knight recently, Montana? Or are you just throwing in quotes to annoy Stoo?

Last edited:

Attila the Professor

Staff member
Ahem.

mgm-construction-6-web.jpg

<I>"We're gonna blow up the thread, Rene..."</I>

Seriously though, if you fellas don't swerve back to topic you won't get to watch Stoo and I sniping past each other any more. Wouldn't that be a shame?

Wow, they will whore Star Wars out to anything.

Montana Smith said:

The only thing worse is that stupid Matt Busch painting with Indy losing his gun.

Maybe not worse, but just as idiotic.

Why drag Indiana Jones down the f'ing drain with it?

Crack that whip

Rocket Surgeon said:
Wow, they will whore Star Wars out to anything.

The only thing worse is that stupid Matt Busch painting with Indy losing his gun.

Maybe not worse, but just as idiotic.

Why drag Indiana Jones down the f'ing drain with it?

Eh, I don't think that's a big deal. This is from "Raiders of the Lost Jedi Temple of Doom: A Fan Film of Epic Proportions," a one-time-only tweak of the Indiana Jones Epic Stunt Spectacular at Disney's Hollywood Studios, as part of the "Last Tour To Endor" special event held in conjunction with Star Wars Celebration V.

Montana Smith

Attila the Professor said:
Seriously though, if you fellas don't swerve back to topic you won't get to watch Stoo and I sniping past each other any more. Wouldn't that be a shame?

That would indeed be a shame.

mattzilla2010 said:
Or are you just throwing in quotes to annoy Stoo?

That would be a shame, too. You wouldn't like Stewie when he's angry!

Onwards with the sniping! :gun: