The 2010 Commonwealth Games debacle

HovitosKing

I would consider that photo to be damning evidence of child labor. I've seen video footage of it too. I'd say India has a "documented" history of child labor abuses.

Joe Brody

I can't get too bent out of shape:

All the civil engineers in India are getting sucked up by the IT industry.

And at least they missed the financial meltdown.

indy34

I don't know why they chose India for the commonwealth games, they clearly were not ready. They had 7 years to get ready and they're still not completely ready.

Being in a sports mad county like Australia the commonwealth games is constantly on the news. So far I've seen a collapsed pedestrian bridge leading to the stadium, a caved in roof on the weight lifting stadium, deplorable accommodation for the athletes, an attack on tourist outside a mosque, and an out break of disease (dengue fever I think). I think there maybe more but there's so much going wrong with the preparation. I think about 3 or 4 of our athletes have dropped out because of safety concerns.

I'd say this will be the worst turn out of any commonwealth games ever. I don't completely blame the Indians for all thats gone wrong some of the blame should go to the games officials for selecting a country that quite obviously can't take on such a large project.

indy34

HovitosKing said:
The games officials should be held accountable here, not India.
I'd have to say that the officials should be held responsible for the most part. But at the the same time the Indian's are not without blame, they accepted to hold the games.

HovitosKing

Well they're not really in a position to refuse potential for income and visibility...look at their infrastructure for Christ's sake. I don't blame them for biting off more than they could chew to try to get something positive going for their country, but the games officials should have seen this cluster coming from a mile away.

indy34

HovitosKing said:
Well they're not really in a position to refuse potential for income and visibility...look at their infrastructure for Christ's sake. I don't blame them for biting off more than they could chew to try to get something positive going for their country, but the games officials should have seen this cluster coming from a mile away.
Well yes I can see what you mean, even if the games are an embarrassment it should pump in some much needed money for the place.
I think the officials were trying to be all diplomatic and politically correct.