DC Extended Universe

caats

geoff johns is my favorite writer. SO THE FACT HE'S WORKING ON THE FLASH MOVIE ASLKEJFA;LSKEJF;LAKSEJ.

also can't wait for GL and hex.

caats

Dang i made this thread a year ago!??

anyway, at the Showest convention, WB prez Alan Horn announced they'll be using DC Comics to fill the void left by no more Harry Potter films.

so from reading around it sounds like it'll go as such

2011 - Green Lantern
2012 - Batman 3, The Flash
2013 - Superman, Wonder Woman
2014 + to infinity and beyond!!

Moedred

Administrator
Staff member
Odd there's no Wonder Woman thread, since the majority of Indy "movies" are set during World War I. Films from All Quiet on the Western Front to War Horse have yet to intrigue me, then suddenly my interest is piqued by the latest from DC which I was expecting to ignore.

Moedred

Administrator
Staff member
I hesitated posting in (and assembling) this thread, but it could become relevant if Ryan Reynolds plays Green Lantern again in what sounds like DC's answer to Guardians of the Galaxy. "Lethal Weapon in space."

Then if Keanu Reeves returns as Constantine to lead Justice League Dark (my own speculation), the DCEU could stretch back to before the Dark Knight trilogy.

Joe Brody

DC doesn't deserve Gal Gadot. She was fantastic.

Great reviews. My girls (and son) loved it.

Only blemish is having Diana Prince hunkered down in modern day Paris (figuratively) under I.M. Pei's pyramid. (shudder).

Moedred

Administrator
Staff member
Apparently "DC Extended Universe," coined by this article, is not an official classification for these films.

Joe Brody

Well this Marvel Fan Boy is happy to see that Justice League only did $96M in the U.S. in its first weekend. Even with the recent memory of a good Wonder Woman film (and being a big Gal Gadot fan), I have zero interest in watching this mess.

Growing up, I engaged in a lot of Marvel vs. DC talk, and while it is no surprise, this conclusively ends the debate.

That said, as I look on the Horizon and just having enjoyed a zany Thor, I got see Marvel keeping it up much longer. It's been a great run, and I will always be thankful for two great Captain America films.

Joe Brody

JasonMa said:
Which one don't you like?

The first one is very good -- but not great. I may too hard on it -- successfully bringing Captain America to the screen was no small task but as avid Captain America reader as kid in the '70's, I think the fell short with the Red Skull. Hugo Weaving was good but Red Skull is fantastic villain and there could have been more.

JasonMa

Joe Brody said:
The first one is very good -- but not great. I may too hard on it -- successfully bringing Captain America to the screen was no small task but as avid Captain America reader as kid in the '70's, I think the fell short with the Red Skull. Hugo Weaving was good but Red Skull is fantastic villain and there could have been more.
I love the first one but its mainly because of the pieces outside of the Red Skull. I thought they nailed Cap's origin and did a great job giving him a solid backstory in the 40's to build his character in modern day. I was never a huge Cap fan though so I have nothing to really base the Red Skull comparison on.

I thought the third was the weakest of the trilogy really because it should have been Avengers 3, not Captain America 3. Still a great movie but it was "bigger" than the first two by having the large cast of characters and it lost the focus on Cap.

Joe Brody

JasonMa said:
I thought they nailed Cap's origin and did a great job giving him a solid backstory in the 40's to build his character in modern day.

Totally agreed.

JasonMa said:
Still a great movie but it was "bigger" than the first two by having the large cast of characters and it lost the focus on Cap.

Agreed here also -- but here's a defense for the "bigger" focus. Think back to the airport fight, I love the rapid fire different perspectives we get on Cap from different characters:

1. Cap and Sharon Carter's first kiss. Think about it -- in comic book movies there aren't many good kisses and given our long history with Cap across several films, I'd say this one counts.

2. Bucky and Falcon's reaction to #1. Brilliant comic relief that brings the viewer into the moment (and helps set up further comic relief during the fight scene).

3. Ant-Man's fanboy reaction to meeting Cap. Reminders like this of Cap's larger-than-than-life status that are funny in of themselves but it helps set up other jokes, like the Captain America public service announcements in Spider Man, Homecoming.

4. Spiderman and Cap's Brooklyn-Queens moment. Core to the Marvel ethos -- where you are from matters and has meaning.

5. Cap and Tony Stark squaring off. Something that Marvel started laying the seeds for way back in Avengers 1. Smart guy Starks thinks he has the upper hand by bringing a ringer (Spider-Man) but it is Cap who outsmarts Stark.

6. Black Widow helping to spring Cap -- a very cool and fitting moment of loyalty that has emotional resonance due to Black Widow's interaction with Cap in Winter Soldier.

All I'm saying is that there's an unmatched narrative density in the Airport fight scene that fleshes out Captain America's character. It is that density that allows me to excuse the film basically being a mini-Avengers. In the Marvel Universe, despite being far from the most powerful, Captain America is still the center of it all.

Last edited:

JasonMa

Fair points all (though I didn't love the Ant-Man meeting scene, but then I didn't love Ant-Man, he was only ok).

Moedred

Administrator
Staff member
James Gunn this year wrote "Flash resets many things, not all things. Some characters remain the same, some do not." I'm guessing The Flash himself falls into the "not" category. All that remains is Blue Beetle and Aquaman 2, Then James Gunn soft reboots with (young) Superman Legacy in 2025. Gunn directed the lowest grossing installment domestically, The Suicide Squad.