Women in the movies

Pale Horse

Staff member
Every time women and film roles get mentioned, I always think of an extremely powerful movie The Contender. This is a film that taps into the double standard of the roles of sexuality and power, and does so in a really compelling way. Not only was Joan Allen nominated for her role as best actress in a leading role, but Jeff Bridges was nominated as best actor, in a supporting role. But I am sure this is the exception to the rule, to be sure.

Forrestal

How about we get nothing out of Hollywood but heroines like the Landlady in Kung Fu Hustle? She's pretty opposite the normal strong female character... :D (That's a great action flick, if you haven't seen it.)

roundshort

Which of the Hardy Boys girls is fat?

Look Densie Richards can be anything she wants to be in my book . . .

So why does everyone hate Willie, she isn't that type of girl . . .

What really is the point of this thread, do you want strong independent women or not? I think the lesbo film fest in Gurnville has many of these.

Deadlock

roundshort said:
What really is the point of this thread, do you want strong independent women or not?

What's the point?

My point is that characters, in general, and in this particular case female ones, should be portrayed in a manner that is consistent and reasonable for the story. Character's traits shouldn't be dictated from outside agendas (though the audience's sensibilities should be considered, or completely ignored [depending on the intent of the film]).

Joe Brody

Deadlock,

I saw the pretty-pregnant-passive-princess-Padme in Revenge of the Sith this past week-end.

Joe Brody

Deadlock said:
So now what do you think of my rantings in the Star Wars thread?

I think you were dead-on. One of the flaws with the film is that supposedly there's this devasting near-twenty year war being waged (we're told in the opening that there have been 'casualties' on both sides) yet the never-ending morning commute traffic on Coruscant is never disturbed or disrupted. . . . despite huge battles literally being waged over-head. In film, Gone With the Wind goes a long way to defining the word 'epic' for me. So when I see a character like Padme . . . and a supposedly devasting war, I want to see carnage and I want to see a women like Padme surviving in the carnage (like Scarlett in Atlanta or later back on Tara, the family plantation). What I don't want to see is her caged up in some luxury penthouse. So I really agree with you. A real opportunity was missed. The planet should have been blown-up, disrupted and Padme should have been in the middle of it -- even if she was just making clothes for the twins out of curtains in the ruins of senate.

Pale Horse

Staff member
Joe Brody said:
Deadlock,

I saw the pretty-pregnant-passive-princess-Padme in Revenge of the Sith this past week-end.

Now that's alliteration! But is pretty in that sting of Pees working as an adjective, or an adverb?

Deadlock

Joe Brody said:
I think you were dead-on. One of the flaws with the film is that supposedly there's this devasting near-twenty year war being waged (we're told in the opening that there have been 'casualties' on both sides) yet the never-ending morning commute traffic on Coruscant is never disturbed or disrupted. . . . despite huge battles literally being waged over-head. In film, Gone With the Wind goes a long way to defining the word 'epic' for me. So when I see a character like Padme . . . and a supposedly devasting war, I want to see carnage and I want to see a women like Padme surviving in the carnage (like Scarlett in Atlanta or later back on Tara, the family plantation). What I don't want to see is her caged up in some luxury penthouse. So I really agree with you. A real opportunity was missed. The planet should have been blown-up, disrupted and Padme should have been in the middle of it -- even if she was just making clothes for the twins out of curtains in the ruins of senate.

Thank you for making the point about the lack of disruption from the war. When talking to my brother, we were joking that the Clone Wars were famous as the first war without consequences. No destruction from ships plummeting to the surface from the collosal battle above Coruscant... Nice.

As I said in the other thread, I felt that a chance to connect the dots between Padme and Leia (courage and resourcefulness in dire circumstances) was completely bypassed.

Joe Brody

Deadlock said:
Thank you for making the point about the lack of disruption from the war. When talking to my brother, we were joking that the Clone Wars were famous as the first war without consequences. No destruction from ships plummeting to the surface from the collosal battle above Coruscant... Nice.

Kinda makes you wonder if A.I. is not a subtle rebuke from Spielberg to Lucas -- I say this because presumably Spielberg knew where Lucas was taking the Stars Wars by making the wars kid-friendly with his use of human stand-ins like robots and clones. Lesson here: if you want to have a film with a bountiful display of severed limbs, you can't have battlefields littered with them.