Custom PLAYSETS & DIORAMAS with your INDY TOYS!!

DutchIndy

Work in progress:

I've started with my little Indy diorama. (thank again goonie, for providing the link to the parts!!!) Took me a few hours to conect the parts that form the base of the temple. (not sure if it will become the forbidden eye temple, I might add some Buddhas or Hindu deities or something to my taste) It's working out quite well, although some tricky corners aren't really tight. (I'll probably add moss and foliage to fix this, might even look cooler anyway) I used normal printer paper and just used some cardboard to strengthen it in several places. This worked particularly well on the stairs. Although it's made mostly out of noral paper, it's strong enough to support action figures! I still have to glue the whole thing to some more cardboard at the bottom, for even more support, so I can built the rest of this thing. Again, it isn't perfect, but it's probably the best I can do as far as diorama's go. Enjoy the first two photo's:

workinprogress1.jpg

workinprogress2.jpg

Goonie

DutchIndy said:
thanks man. :) Really enjoy working on it, maybe in the future I'll be able to come up with something myself.

Nice work. I've been printing my parts out on 67 lb cover stock. I do recommend reinforcing the base with thicker cardboard as I've shown in the thread:
http://raven.theraider.net/showthread.php?t=14985
I had to rebuild the first wall "lip" as it tore on me in two corners, because it is curved. I don't recommend scoring the tabs that get glued in that step. Right now I'm working on all the little pillars that go around the bottom wall. They're a little time consuming and delicate once you cut out the upper part. I'll probably be posting more update pics at the end of this week.

DutchIndy

Wow man, that's pretty impressive! Can't wait to see the finished product! (yours and mine!) I totally missed that thread btw, thanks for pointing it out. Yes, reinforcing with some extra cardboard helps a lot. Actually I wanted to use a thicker paper as well and use this first version as a test, but it's working out pretty well so I'll probably stick to this.

Abner Lives

Glorbes,
The new tank looks fantastic! I'm just getting into scratch building and I'm still trying to make decent box shapes for builings. There's definitely a learning curve. My fedora's off to you. ;)

glorbes

That papercraft temple thing looks really cool. Both you and Goonie must have the patience of saints to work on such a meticulous project.

glorbes

While waiting for my styrene sheets to arrive, I delved into a few smaller projects to keep me on my toes. Since I only had scrap leftover, it foced me to be creative...which is always fun. First up is my very own Ark Crate:

2008_0902smallindyprojects0004.jpg

I tried printing out soloboy's wonderful decal/template, but my printer crapped out on me. So, rather than accept defeat, I set about making one from styrene. The box itself is 060 thickness, and was designed to fit around the Ark itself (hence it looks a little big next to the figures). I then cut 1/4" planks from thinner, 020 thickness styrene to make the exterior. I then scuffed up the outside with rough grit sandpaper to give the 'boards' a wood-like texture/grain.

2008_0902smallindyprojects0005.jpg

2008_0902smallindyprojects0006.jpg

The whole thing was then spray-painted "Khaki" (the same color I used for the Tank) as a base color, and then I applied several washes of darker brown colors to stain int between the boards and soak into the roughed up styrene. I went with a mixture of dark brown, black, and raw sienna (which has an orange undertone). The whole thing was then drybrushed with a mixture of tan and white.

2008_0902smallindyprojects0008.jpg

2008_0902smallindyprojects0010.jpg

The funnest part was the stencil. Its pretty wonky in places, but I enjoyed the intricate work on the eagle (even if it came out a little uneven). I also forgot the 'C' in Deutschen, but I'm not going to lose any sleep over it :)

2008_0902smallindyprojects0011.jpg

The funnest part was incorporating the poles used to cart this thing around. Once I decided to tackle this, I wanted to make sure that it had this detail:

2008_0902smallindyprojects0002.jpg

2008_0902smallindyprojects0012.jpg

glorbes

Next up is the detailing of the Flying Wing cockpit. Since the Flying Wing was such an exhausting project, I sort of ran out of steam to add this finishing touch. With a little time to recover, I decided to return to it and spend a few hours on this mini-project within a project:

2008_0902smallindyprojects0024.jpg

The guages/dash display is styrene card with a bunch of holes drilled into it. The side detaling is, again, styrene card with some rod dials and vinyl strips added to the mix. The joy stick is ball jointed using a joint from an action figure and some styrene card. Leather was added to the seat and head rest.

2008_0902smallindyprojects0026.jpg

2008_0902smallindyprojects0027.jpg

It took probably about three or four hours to do, but to me it makes a huge difference.

glorbes

Lastly is the Cargo Truck. I finally picked this bad boy up, and despite it being a tad underscaled, I think Hasbro nailed the sculpt. It just needed some dust and dirt:

2008_0902smallindyprojects0015.jpg

2008_0902smallindyprojects0016.jpg

I started with a dark tan, then added a lighter tan, and than topped it off with white, all drybrushed on in layers. It was a quick but fun modification.

2008_0902smallindyprojects0018.jpg

2008_0902smallindyprojects0014.jpg

And an action shot for good measure:
2008_0902smallindyprojects0020.jpg

inky_skin

Nicely done glorbes...as always ;)

Just makes you realise the quality of the tooling on the truck when it gets a decent paint job.

As for the detailing on the flying wing cockpit - well, you know I'm a fan !

glorbes

Thanks guys. Inky Skin, I'm really really looking forward to seeing your progress on the Locust cockpit.

Well, now that I have my styrene in hand, I figured I'd share my early progress on the Ford Tri-Motor.

Tools, and early planning (this also includes googling images of the plane, studying the screenshots on this site, and watching the movie as well):
2008_0902trimotorwip0001.jpg

First piece trimmed from styrene:
2008_0902trimotorwip0002.jpg

Flipped over and traced:
2008_0902trimotorwip0003.jpg

2008_0902trimotorwip0004.jpg

Inner structure for main part of fuselage:
2008_0902trimotorwip0005.jpg

2008_0902trimotorwip0006.jpg

Assembly of these parts:
2008_0902trimotorwip0007.jpg

2008_0902trimotorwip0008.jpg

Sooo much more to do, but this is the start. I'll try to keep everyone updated on the progress in as much detail as I remember to document :D

bonoferox

If Glorbes ever did a Kali Statue, I think we would all weep...

Can't wait to see the plane and very excellent job on the cargo truck re-deco!

The Golden Idol

glorbes said:
Lastly is the Cargo Truck. I finally picked this bad boy up, and despite it being a tad underscaled, I think Hasbro nailed the sculpt. It just needed some dust and dirt:

2008_0902smallindyprojects0015.jpg

2008_0902smallindyprojects0016.jpg

I started with a dark tan, then added a lighter tan, and than topped it off with white, all drybrushed on in layers. It was a quick but fun modification.

2008_0902smallindyprojects0018.jpg

2008_0902smallindyprojects0014.jpg

And an action shot for good measure:
2008_0902smallindyprojects0020.jpg

That's beautiful. Can you please give me a tutorial on how to make mine just like that? Please?

Goonie

glorbes, nice work on the cargo truck. When I got mine I thought it could use some weathering as well, but I haven't gotten around to doing it yet. Once the version with the fabric canopy is released, I want to customize that one to look like the truck as it is parked at Disneyland. I want display it in front of my Temple of the Forbidden Eye model once it's completed.

Tyreal

Goonie said:
glorbes, nice work on the cargo truck. When I got mine I thought it could use some weathering as well, but I haven't gotten around to doing it yet. Once the version with the fabric canopy is released, I want to customize that one to look like the truck as it is parked at Disneyland. I want display it in front of my Temple of the Forbidden Eye model once it's completed.

Isn't that the real truck from raiders in front of temple of the forbidden eye

Goonie

Tyreal said:
Isn't that the real truck from raiders in front of temple of the forbidden eye

Yup. They just put a different label/logo on the door.

They way that glorbes weathered it, that's how Hasbro should have released it.