I'm getting old

Gustav

I'll be 24 at the end of November and then just six little years until I'm 30. I can't believe it.

Let's comiserate over aging.

monkey

I sympathize with you Gustav.

Aging sucks. Getting older sucks.

The only good thing is that you gain more wisdom as you age.

But it is almost a passive thing.......you can't help BUT gain wisdom through many years of mistakes.

What is good is to acquire wisdom through study, and contemplation rather than through simply analyzing your mistakes.

Everyone will age, unless they die before they have the chance.

"Live Fast, die young, and leave a good looking corpse".

That's one school of thought, however, if you want to live a long time, then you will of course, get OLD.

I just wonder what being OLD will mean in the coming years.

In the past it has meant respect, honor, and kindness from the younger generation. But in today's world, I'm not so sure.

Today's world is a less kind, and more competitive and ruthless world.

As for myself, I think I will choose the date of my own death, rather than leave it up to the Fates.

monkey

Gustav said:
I'll be 24 at the end of November and then just six little years until I'm 30. I can't believe it.

Sorry for the double post, but Gustav, when I was 24, I was more concerned with getting laid, than contemplating the complexities of 'aging'.

Get out there and look for the Ladies. Don't worry about getting old. You'll have plenty of time for that later.

DocWhiskey

You can do a lot in 6 years, man!

Like Monkey said, live life! Get out there, find women, and have sex with them! Rinse and repeat!

Alright, not really, I mean, there are things besides sex like...fishing....annnnd....bowling....annnnd....traveling......annnd.....bowling.

But 30 is still young anyway. Wait till you're 40 or 50 or 60!

Grab life by the short hairs and shake it like a British nanny!

There are way too many exclamation marks in my post!

!

indyclone25

im 44 , and i dont feel a day over 30. i keep myself young by doing things and keeping busy , don't fret getting old it just makes you get cranky --- then you will be one of the old cranky men you always see walking about complaining about this and that.:D

Zeppelin

The Magic Rat said:
40 is the new 30. Don't fret.

Yeah. I'll be 30 in less than two months, but I don't feel that old. If I'm still around at 40 or 50 then perhaps aging will begin to concern me.

You gotta find something to do with your life, Gustav. Go obtain some rare antiquities or something.

Getting old is not bad you get to do more be responsable and if you don't think about getting old you won't age fast. Working out and eating right makes you stay younger. I'm 15 and i wish i was at least 16 so i can drive work and well you know what comes next (y).

The Drifter

I'll be 28 in December. Sometimes I feel old and wise, and sometimes I feel young and dumb.
We all get older tho, so I try not to worry about all the ails that old age will bring.

Gustav

monkey said:
"Live Fast, die young, and leave a good looking corpse".

That's one school of thought, however, if you want to live a long time, then you will of course, get OLD.

I just wonder what being OLD will mean in the coming years.

In the past it has meant respect, honor, and kindness from the younger generation. But in today's world, I'm not so sure.

Today's world is a less kind, and more competitive and ruthless world.

As for myself, I think I will choose the date of my own death, rather than leave it up to the Fates.

Yeah getting old sure beats the hell out of the alternative. I'm not sure people have gotten worse about respecting their elders. It's something you hear a lot like, "what's the world coming to?" or "things aren't what they used to be" but I wonder if those phrases are just side effects of our aging minds. It seems people have always been saying those things.

And are you talking about suicide?

monkey said:
Sorry for the double post, but Gustav, when I was 24, I was more concerned with getting laid, than contemplating the complexities of 'aging'.

Get out there and look for the Ladies. Don't worry about getting old. You'll have plenty of time for that later.

I think I'm fed up with that already, especially after this last dizzy dame. She really was insane, I just want to forget about it. I'm not saying I want to settle down at all, not for a long time, but I really want to find a woman who I can have a relatively sane, mostly stable, overall happy relationship with at least for a while. Right now my attitude very closely resembles the Weezer song "Tired of Sex".

Zeppelin said:
Yeah. I'll be 30 in less than two months, but I don't feel that old. If I'm still around at 40 or 50 then perhaps aging will begin to concern me.

You gotta find something to do with your life, Gustav. Go obtain some rare antiquities or something.

Sorry, Zeppelin, didn't mean to call you old. You're right though, I do need to find something to do with my life. My biggest problem is that I'm too indecisive. I started film school then took up writing and physics while I studied everything Chinese and now I'm trying to learn German and be a painter and probably drinking too much. While I'm wasting time trying to make up my mind, I'm not actually doing anything and that makes aging harder. I don't mean to *****.

IndyWolf15 said:
Getting old is not bad you get to do more be responsable and if you don't think about getting old you won't age fast. Working out and eating right makes you stay younger. I'm 15 and i wish i was at least 16 so i can drive work and well you know what comes next (y).

Yeah, wow, I remember feeling like that. You'll turn 16 and be able to drive and then turn 18 and be a legal adult and buy cigarettes and then you'll want 21 to hurry up and get there so you can drink legally, but then after 21 hurries up and gets there you'll realize that 22 wasn't in any less of a hurry and you'll think "okay you can slow down now" and then 23 is all "what's up?!" and you'll be like, "Oh...hi 23, heh". You're going to be at the age soon where your decisions <i>really</i> matter, and I'm not trying to make your current decisions sound insignificant, you'll know what I mean.

Yeah it's kind of fulfilling to have responsibilities, but listen to me, someday you're going to look back at 15 and say, "I wish I could go back there for a day and have no responsibilities." Cherish it. For the love of God, cherish it!

Violet

Moderator Emeritus
Gustav said:

^Haha. You're older than me! :p

Alright, alright. I'll be serious now.

I can understand where you're coming from. At the tender age of 21, I'm concerned with getting my career start and trying to ensure that my future doesn't end up the same as some of my friends (I've got friends aged 25 and over and they still don't have their foot in the door and there are even friends in their 30s and 40s still primarily making movies for free). I don't want to end up like that. So I am constantly concentrating on that and doing what I know I can do about it (which isn't a whole lot) and yeah, my thoughts have also turned to my own mortality, seeing people as young as me dying in car crashes.

I'm trying to be positive and remind myself that I am still young and if things don't pan out, so long as I don't die young, I can change to a different career path. I know a 34 year old actress who hasn't made it, who thinks she still can (mind you, she is pretty desperate, and desperation isn't always the best thing especially in this industry).

Morning Bell

Gustav said:

I'll be 24 this November as well. We're still much younger than it would seem, so don't sweat it.:hat:

Gustav said:
Yeah, wow, I remember feeling like that. You'll turn 16 and be able to drive and then turn 18 and be a legal adult and buy cigarettes and then you'll want 21 to hurry up and get there so you can drink legally, but then after 21 hurries up and gets there you'll realize that 22 wasn't in any less of a hurry and you'll think "okay you can slow down now" and then 23 is all "what's up?!" and you'll be like, "Oh...hi 23, heh". You're going to be at the age soon where your decisions <i>really</i> matter, and I'm not trying to make your current decisions sound insignificant, you'll know what I mean.

Yeah it's kind of fulfilling to have responsibilities, but listen to me, someday you're going to look back at 15 and say, "I wish I could go back there for a day and have no responsibilities." Cherish it. For the love of God, cherish it!
I don't plan on drinking or cigarettes they help you die faster and my family thought me better than going out partying and drinking and cigarettes. Thank God i was raised in a good family. I just want to drive and be a professional Tennis player and have a family and never forget God thats it.

The Drifter

IndyWolf15 said:
I don't plan on drinking or cigarettes they help you die faster and my family thought me better than going out partying and drinking and cigarettes. Thank God i was raised in a good family. I just want to drive and be a professional Tennis player and have a family and never forget God thats it.

Well, I was raised by a good family and I still enjoy a few beers.

Agent Crab

IndyWolf15 said:

Morals.. Heh heh...

TO each of their own. I have drank, but it was mixed drinks and only on speical ocasians. Such as holidays or my birthday... which is soon. Beer is nasty, though. Beer is only good when I cook.

Kevin

Hey, Harrison Ford's career didn't really get started until he was in his mid-30s, same with George Clooney, so try not to worry too much.

Gustav

Violet Indy said:
^Haha. You're older than me! :p

Vi, it's good to see you still on here. How have you been?

I know what you mean about the older people still busting their asses for peanuts and being desperate. Around where I live there seems to be a concentration of delusional people who like to say they're living the dream. All they do is smoke pot and pretend to be spiritual and make crappy local commercials that a third grader could make. Maybe that's "the dream" for them but I think they're just in denial. Ending up like that is my worst nightmare.

Lonsome_Drifter said:
Well, I was raised by a good family and I still enjoy a few beers.

Same here. I'm also an atheist. Blame my adventurous personality.

monkey

I think that, unfortunately, there are a lot of pressures on young people today; pressures that weren't necessarily there for previous generations.

I think for the first time in a long time, it can be said that today's generation has it 'harder' than previous generations.

In my job, I have the privilege of working with many young people. I marvel at their dedication and enthusiasm, even in the face of the kind of depressing, bleak world that they are presented with these days.

Wars, Corruption, Deceit, the plundering of the moneylenders leading to world wide recession.......

I can only hope that the dedication and enthusiasm of this generation will overcome the obstacles put in their way.

For some reason I have confidence.

Violet

Moderator Emeritus
Gustav said:
Vi, it's good to see you still on here. How have you been?

I know what you mean about the older people still busting their asses for peanuts and being desperate. Around where I live there seems to be a concentration of delusional people who like to say they're living the dream. All they do is smoke pot and pretend to be spiritual and make crappy local commercials that a third grader could make. Maybe that's "the dream" for them but I think they're just in denial. Ending up like that is my worst nightmare.

I'm alright, still trying. I managed to graduate in December of last year after a pretty horrible production involving a lift set and a Korean television grant. I literally worked myself sick and nearly ended up in hospital over it. I'm a lot happier now, that I'm out of that place. I'm getting the car issue sorted and am being considered for positions for a few indie films (both shorts & features). I've been trying to save money to buy the first basics of a professional editing suite (Mac Pro, with the Final Cut Pro package), but it's really frigging impossible on my pay and driving lesson expenses.

Yeah, so you know those people too eh? There's tons of them here and they call themselves professionals. Personally, I don't think you can call yourself a professional until you get paid for it. We share the same nightmare, Gus. A guy I recently dated, I felt could grow up a little (he's 28 nearly 29) and is still making shorts for free. On top of that, he has a similar paying job and doesn't have a car, but he does have a motorcycle. He's a nice guy, he just needs to grow up (and besides I don't feel attracted to him) so we're just friends in the same industry.