General Indy 5 Thread - rumors and possibilities

Honestly...will there be another Indy film in the next decade?

• Total voters

SterankoII

Connery can come back in either a flashback or Indy might be near death and sees him. Henry Sr. can tell him "It's not your time yet, boy! You have to have to keep living."

Texas

So possibly Lucas/Spielberg/Ford have chosen a MacGuffin for Indy V?
For those of you that have a twitter account, lets all get on there and tweet Frank Marshall's twitter page with questions regarding the status of Indy V and whether a MacGuffin has been chosen. Frank Marshall's twitter account is http://twitter.com/LeDoctor
Hopefully Frank can validate Ford's recent comments on the status of Indy V.

Zeppelin

SterankoII said:
Connery can come back in either a flashback or Indy might be near death and sees him. Henry Sr. can tell him "It's not your time yet, boy! You have to have to keep living."

Or he can say something like, "You will go to the Dagobah system. There you will learn from Yoda, the Jedi master who instructed me."

Just kidding.

James

DocWhiskey said:
I wouldn't say Speilberg wants Shia to take over the franchise, but joblo.com some how made that accusation.

To be fair to "joblo", a lot of people made that leap back when the quote first appeared. For example, when AICN made the assumption, the story quickly generated hundreds of replies accepting it as fact.

The moral is that while imagination is rare, just about everyone has access to the internet. :D

emtiem

So, if Spielberg's taking a bit more of a front seat on this one (might be true if he's more onboard with the macguffin) perhaps he'll be bringing his own guys onboard again to help with the script? I'm hoping that he was pleased enough with the Tintin script to get Edgar Wright and Joe Cornish onboard- that would be amazing :D
No hope of Steven Moffat, sadly :(

RedeemedChild

Zeppelin said:
Or he can say something like, "You will go to the Dagobah system. There you will learn from Yoda, the Jedi master who instructed me."

Just kidding.

Yeah, that'd be right up my alley. Howbeit that simply won't happy unless it's a parody.

emtiem

Rocket Surgeon said:
Love Coupling, but you want him to (co)write Indy V?

He's a fantastic writer: he's won two BAFTAs and three Hugo Awards for his Doctor Who episodes; plus he wrote the (first draft?) of the script for Spielberg's Tintin. If he's good enough for Spielberg, he's good enough for me!

There's a bit more to him than just one of his sitcoms.

emtiem said:
He's a fantastic writer:
I don't disagree...

emtiem said:
he's won two BAFTAs and three Hugo Awards for his Doctor Who episodes;
Well, personally Dr Who is nothing to hoot about...I mean I liked Land of the Lost when I was 7 but really.

emtiem said:
plus he wrote the (first draft?) of the script for Spielberg's Tintin.
Time will tell, finished product is EVERYTHING.

emtiem said:
If he's good enough for Spielberg, he's good enough for me!
That's a lesson I've learned...no one gets endorsement carte blanche, even the Pope is ony infallable on the matter of faith and morals gathered together in an ecumenical council who must concur in a single viewpoint as the one which must be held conclusively!

emtiem said:
There's a bit more to him than just one of his sitcoms.
...no doubt.

Darth Vile

Rocket Surgeon said:
I don't disagree...

Well, personally Dr Who is nothing to hoot about...I mean I liked Land of the Lost when I was 7 but really.

...no doubt.

The new Doctor Who (as in Russell T Davies' series) is just about as good as any modern TV science fiction series I can think of. There are several episodes of the new series that are really worth a watch (even if not a Doctor Who fan).

As far as Moffat is concerned, he's a really clever/intelligent writer who can do both genuinely funny and dark/frightening material at the same time. But he's gonna be far too busy as the new showrunner for Doctor Who to do anything on Indy V... I would imagine.

emtiem

Rocket Surgeon said:
I don't disagree...

We are talking about Indiana Jones here, aren't we? Has Indy become some sort of adult-only highbrow intellectual discussion series while I've not been looking? :)
Doctor Who is pretty much the most popular (non soap) drama series in the UK at the moment; it remains a genuine phenomenon. They're doing something right; trust me. A recent episode got something like 10 million viewers: that would be impressive figures for a show in the states, let alone our little country. If you haven't seen any of, in particular, Moffat's episodes then I urge you to. Some of the best telly of the previous few years.

Because if you're looking for a writer who can handle mainstream clever adventure with a fantastic wit and genuinely funny jokes combined with genuinely chilling scares (and unless I'm mistaken that's what Indiana Jones is all about) then you could do much worse than the guy who's written the best of Who. Spielberg presumably thought enough of his work to hire him.

Rocket Surgeon said:
Time will tell, finished product is EVERYTHING.

True enough, but judging by his previous finished work... of course Tintin will be slightly different as he didn't get the chance to see it to the end.

Rocket Surgeon said:
That's a lesson I've learned...no one gets endorsement carte blanche, even the Pope is ony infallable on the matter of faith and morals gathered together in an ecumenical council who must concur in a single viewpoint as the one which must be held conclusively!

Maybe; but I'm going to trust Spielberg's, BAFTA's, the British public's and my own judgement over yours: sorry!

Rocket Surgeon said:
...no doubt.

So what's your point? Are you just looking to pick apart every statement anyone makes? Referring to him solely as the writer of Coupling hardly makes me look like the less informed one!

Darth Vile said:
As far as Moffat is concerned, he's a really clever/intelligent writer who can do both genuinely funny and dark/frightening material at the same time. But he's gonna be far too busy as the new showrunner for Doctor Who to do anything on Indy V... I would imagine.

Yes; that's why I'm sad he won't be an option: Who even took him away from Tintin so it's clear that's top priority. Edgar Wright and Joe Cornish remain intriguing possibilities, though.

emtiem said:
We are talking about Indiana Jones here, aren't we? Has Indy become some sort of adult-only highbrow intellectual discussion series while I've not been looking? :)
You'll have to forgive me...Tom Baker is enough to inspire douche chills in any dimension. You can keep Dr Who.:sick:

emtiem said:
Doctor Who is pretty much the most popular (non soap) drama series in the UK at the moment; it remains a genuine phenomenon.
Don't get me wrong, we have our fare share of dogs over here, but the same could be said for the spice girls...:sick:

emtiem said:
They're doing something right; trust me.
I'll have to...

emtiem said:
Because if you're looking for a writer who can handle mainstream clever adventure with a fantastic wit and genuinely funny jokes combined with genuinely chilling scares (and unless I'm mistaken that's what Indiana Jones is all about) then you could do much worse than the guy who's written the best of Who. Spielberg presumably thought enough of his work to hire him.
The jury is out...after all Moffat saw fit to fill Jeff's shoes with "Oliver" CHRIST!! (He was a Dr Who fan right?)

emtiem said:
True enough, but judging by his previous finished work... of course Tintin will be slightly different as he didn't get the chance to see it to the end.
no doubt...
emtiem said:
I'm going to trust Spielberg's, BAFTA's, the British public's and my own judgement over yours: sorry!
I have yet to judge anything luv! I'm the wait and see guy...:hat:

emtiem said:
So what's your point? Are you just looking to pick apart every statement anyone makes? Referring to him solely as the writer of Coupling hardly makes me look like the less informed one!
Don't get your panties in a bunch! Unless I ask questions, (and that's all I've done...well before THIS post anyway) I can't know your position on Moffat anymore than you can correctly interpret my tone.

emtiem

Rocket Surgeon said:
You'll have to forgive me...Tom Baker is enough to inspire douche chills in any dimension. You can keep Dr Who.:sick:

Don't get me wrong, we have our fare share of dogs over here, but the same could be said for the spice girls...:sick:

Then you have no idea what you're talking about. Would someone who's only seen a couple of episodes of (the crap) Young Indy be right to say that Raiders must surely suck and you can keep it? ' :sick: '

If you don't understand or know about something, don't knock it. Such transparent attempts at antagonism are wasted on me.

Rocket Surgeon said:
The jury is out...

No, it isn't. Multi award winning writer. Showrunner of biggest adventure series in the UK; sold all over the world. Hired by Spielberg to write 1930's adventure movie. End of story. You haven't seen his stuff other than his very good sitcom -which you seem to like- so apart from knowing that he's a very funny writer and an excellent plotter, there's not much more to know.

But if you only want to play safe with complete known quantities, I suppose Koepp is your man...

Rocket Surgeon said:
Don't get your panties in a bunch! Unless I ask questions, (and that's all I've done...well before THIS post anyway) I can't know your position on Moffat anymore than you can correctly interpret my tone.

It's really not hard to do that! Your tone is unchanging.
My position on Moffat is as I stated when I first mentioned him: I'm sad that he's not available for Indy. I'm not sure why that needed clarification.
Unless you didn't know he'd written Tintin? Why did you think I mentioned when talking about the Tintin writers if that's the case?

Crack that whip

I know I'm not the one you were addressing, emtiem, but I just have to respond to something in your post...

emtiem said:
Then you have no idea what you're talking about. Would someone who's only seen a couple of episodes of (the crap) Young Indy be right to say that Raiders must surely suck and you can keep it? ' :sick: '

Pfft. To me, that makes about as much sense as saying "would someone who's only seen (the crap) Raiders be right to say that Young Indy must surely suck and you can keep it," but whatever...

The movies and the TV series are undeniably different, but IMO the latter is so rich and beautifully developed (and frankly, adds to and enhances the former in ways that make the movies a fair bit better than they already were on their own) that a given argument will pretty much lose me the instant it uses a Young Indy analogy like yours that hinges upon the assertion the show sucks, but perhaps that's just me.

FWIW, I do also enjoy what little Doctor Who I've seen, though that's not much.

Anyway, carry on...

emtiem said:
Then you have no idea what you're talking about.
Then I have no idea what I'm talking about...ok.:rolleyes:

emtiem said:
Doctor Who is pretty much the most popular (non soap) drama series in the UK at the moment; it remains a genuine phenomenon. They're doing something right; trust me. A recent episode got something like 10 million viewers: that would be impressive figures for a show in the states, let alone our little country.
emtiem said:
If you don't understand or know about something, don't knock it. Such transparent attempts at antagonism are wasted on me.
Maybe popular passes for quality where you come from, sorry if you're a fan of Slutty Spice, I guess you just want MORE Indy instead of BETTER Indy. To each his own...

...and don't flatter yourself, if I were to antagonize you there would be nothing transparent about it.

emtiem said:
No, it isn't.
Yes it is.:rolleyes:

emtiem said:
Multi award winning writer. Showrunner of biggest adventure series in the UK; sold all over the world. Hired by Spielberg to write 1930's adventure movie. End of story.
Showrunner? Que? In ENGLISH please! (see THATs antagonizing).

How convienient you ignore the example! You must have enjoyed the character of Oliver. That and/or you'll watch ANYTHING.:rolleyes: What am I saying?! You like Dr Who...good lord.

emtiem said:
You haven't seen his stuff other than his very good sitcom -which you seem to like- so apart from knowing that he's a very funny writer and an excellent plotter, there's not much more to know.
You have low standards, end of story. (Isn't that annoying when someone turns the conversation off like that?)

emtiem said:
But if you only want to play safe with complete known quantities, I suppose Koepp is your man...

...and therein lies the problem. You equate quantity with quality, that AND you believe you know what I like and have no problem speaking for me instead of speaking with me...or writing for that matter. You keep supposing. I'll keep setting you straight.:rolleyes:

emtiem said:
It's really not hard to do that! Your tone is unchanging.
WOW! :rolleyes: ...and there you have it.:sick: