Votes: 6 30.0%
  • the same age as me.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • me.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Udvarnoky

Pale Horse said:
Udvarnoky or the well remembered Dr. Gonzo may remember better a conversation from a 1/2 a decade ago about what happens when screenwriters start to take over from previous authors, how character, motivation and intent fall apart. It was either in the Nathanson; Boam; Koepp; or Darabont screenplay discussions. Too many cooks, spoil the brew. And these were accomplished craftsmen.

There is a pretty big gulf between six screenwriters over nineteen years and two screenwriters over two years. In addition, Darabont managed to come up with a script that was fairly cohesive and not at all of the "patchwork quilt" quality that characterizes Koepp's contribution, so there is at least some evidence that the skill of the screenwriter is a factor here.

Toht's Arm

I think it's really hard to judge Kasdan's writing strengths/weaknesses from three films, especially when we know he wasn't the only writer on Solo.

And having done two romcoms doesn't mean that a writer can't write a good adventure movie - they just mightn't have had the chance until now.

Crystal Skull's script was a hodgepodge of ideas, and didn't shower Koepp in glory. But that being said, he's the guy that also wrote Jurassic Park, Mission: Impossible, Panic Room and Secret Window - all films I love.

My hope for Indy V had been that Koepp was writing his OWN script this time, rather than hastily rejigging the work of those who had come before. Now, I don't know what I hope... Stoppard's changes to Boam's draft of Crusade were excellent, but we have no suggestion that Kasdan is that skilled (yet!)

Lambonius

Frankly, I think Koepp butchered Jurassic Park. I know it's an unpopular opinion, but I think that if it weren't for the novelty of how well they pulled off the dinosaur effects, that film would be totally forgettable, and by no means the classic that people consider it today.

Raiders90

Lambonius said:
Frankly, I think Koepp butchered Jurassic Park. I know it's an unpopular opinion, but I think that if it weren't for the novelty of how well they pulled off the dinosaur effects, that film would be totally forgettable, and by no means the classic that people consider it today.

images

As a fan of both the novel and the film, I think the movie is better. The novel is a good read, but has an entirely different tone and feel, and if the movie was closer to the novel, it wouldn't have been as big of a hit.

seasider

Lambonius said:

I don't know about that. Yes, the advances in visual effects was a big part of the spectacle but the movie also worked because it was simply a well directed thriller and it was Spielberg at the top of his game. I think the combination of Speilberg and dinosaurs in a summer blockbuster was a bigger factor than the CGI they used.

Oddly enough, Koepp was brought in to rewrite the script after Spielberg was dissatisfied with drafts with previous writers which included Michael Crichton himself. Despite the straightforward plot, the movie does work well on a character and thematic level and Koepp deserves some credit for that. I found this video makes a good case as to why the movie still holds up well more than 20 years later.

https://vimeo.com/165693758?ref=fb-share&1

Face_Melt

John Williams is what makes Jurassic Park special.

I can only wonder how much better the film would have been had Harrison not turned it down...and not that Sam Neill did a bad job or anything...

Raiders90

I'm glad Harrison turned it down. Sam Neil aced that part. Having Harrison there would've been distracting. The fact that most of the cast were not very well known faces helped a lot imo.

Avilos

Like Indy with a beard there was only one judge of Indy with an eye patch that mattered - Harrison Ford!

No idea if he would have opposed it. Just stating the obvious.