Cometh The Razzies...

WORST PREQUEL, SEQUEL, REMAKE, RIP-OFF:

THE DAY THE EARTH STOOD STILL
HIGH SCHOOL MUSICAL 3: SENIOR YEAR
INDIANA JONES AND THE KINGDOM OF THE CRYSTAL SKULL
SPEED RACER
STAR WARS: THE CLONE WARS
THE WOMEN

The winners will be announced on February 21.

Forbidden Eye

Meh, I wouldn't sweat if it was nominated for a Razzie. They're more pointless and unreliable than the Oscars. And that is REALLY saying something.

The Man

Raider Indy said:
Bulls**t...looking at the other nominees, there's no way 'Crystal Skull' deserves to be there.

:rolleyes:

The Women? Never even heard of that one...

RaiderMitch

TR.N Staff Member
Everyone is throwing kicks at Indy... forget the huge Box Office... it's open season.

It's like The Spirit -- I saw it the other day and you know, it wasn't so bad... but man talk about a feeding frenzy... its like they had their sitghts set on Frank Miller and just went crazy on him... was it the worst movie ever made as som claimed? No way! Look at some of the other superhero movies... The Shadow, The Phantom, Batman & Robin, Doc Savage, Captain America and others and The Spirit is just fine. Compare Indy 4 to all the other "action adventure"films -- Nat'l Treasure, Tomb Raider, The Mummy -- and it towers over them with class and style.

Personally, I think its folks getting their kicks at George Lucas -- and Indy is the target of the month. Sure Indy 4 wasn't better than Raiders (how could it) but it was entertaining and I got my money's worth for two hours -- and isn't that's what amovie is supposed to do?

Attila the Professor

Staff member
The Man said:
The Women? Never even heard of that one...

The original had Joan Crawford, Norma Shearer, Joan Fontaine, Rosalind Russell, and others. The new one has Meg Ryan, Annette Benning, Eva Mendes, Debra Messing, Jada Pinkett Smith, and others (I hear Candice Bergen and Cloris Leachmen were particularly good.)

I've never seen either one, but the gimmick of both of them is that they are casts of women only. I didn't hear awful things about the new one, but the consensus seemed to be that it was unnecessary, which sort of seems to be the charge against most of these - unnecessary, wasting the potential of a good script, character, brand...whatever.

Perhilion

Oh, come on! At least Indy IV is, you know, a movie. With enjoyable parts and stuff...it doesn't deserve to be up there.

deckard24

Wow, I agree the film was so-so, but Razzie worthy? Were the National Treasure films nominated before?

If any adventure film of 2008 deserves a nomination it's The Mummy 3: Tomb of the Dragon Emperor!! Football playing Yetis...really?

Niteshade007

Attila the Professor said:
The original had Joan Crawford, Norma Shearer, Joan Fontaine, Rosalind Russell, and others. The new one has Meg Ryan, Annette Benning, Eva Mendes, Debra Messing, Jada Pinkett Smith, and others (I hear Candice Bergen and Cloris Leachmen were particularly good.)

I've never seen either one, but the gimmick of both of them is that they are casts of women only. I didn't hear awful things about the new one, but the consensus seemed to be that it was unnecessary, which sort of seems to be the charge against most of these - unnecessary, wasting the potential of a good script, character, brand...whatever.

Bergen and Leachman were great. The rest of the cast was good as well, but the whole film just fell kind of flat. It was just so terribly average.

I'm honestly not surprised that Indy was nominated for a razzie. I wouldn't be surprised if it won, being the most successful of the films on that list (I believe).

Udvarnoky

No need to take this seriously. The Razzies are almost as worthless as the Oscars themsleves. Also, if it makes anyone feel better, Kubrick received a "Worst Director" Razzie nom for The Shining. So, Indy4 is in good company.

Indy's brother

Awww, Come On!!! Razzie nomitation? Now that's going too far. KOTCS was only weak by Indiana Jones standards. Put every prequel/sequel/remake/ripoff to the IJ trilogy comparison test, and they would all fare worse than KOTCS. Really, this is bashing just to be trendy.

Indy's brother

Udvarnoky said:
No need to take this seriously. The Razzies are almost as worthless as the Oscars themsleves. Also, if it makes anyone feel better, Kubrick received a "Worst Director" Razzie nom for The Shining. So, Indy4 is in good company.

Really? Hmmm. That really does put things in perspective. I truly enjoy Kubrick's treatment of The Shining, thanks!(y)

Joe Brody

Eva Mendes. . . . good skin.

As for the Razzie, KotCS would be a lock if it wasn't competiting against (1) a Keanu Reeves film, and (2) Speed Racer, which presents a nice chance to take a shot at the Wachowskis.

All the KotCS supporters on this site (who I sincerely believe all have some stake in or relative that worked on the film) complain about all the abuse heaped on Lucas -- but I'd argue that disdain is rivaled by the contempt people have Reeves.

Does Vegas have a line?

RaiderMitch

TR.N Staff Member
I love Bill and Ted... seriously, I sat in The Day the Earth Stood Still and when the credits came up ... I was like? THAT's IT????? I like the original better -- hell, STARMAN was 1,000 times better (and had Karen Allen)... even without Reeves -- that movie was so dull........

eroc

Attila the Professor said:

Yeah the original is considered a classic because it portrayed women in a way that they had not been portrayed in cinema before, but to remake it was a waste of time.

The Man

Udvarnoky said:

Don't forget poor Shelley Duvall: Worst Actress Of The Year, 1980...

Darth Vile

Udvarnoky said:
LOL - Not sure how the Razzie's lived that one down...