Patrick Durkin is Dead

Middlesbrough born, Raiders of the Lost Ark Australian Climber and Tommy Cooper straightman Patrick Durkin has passed away at 74.

His brother, John, told how the Raiders of the Lost Ark actor moved Harrison Ford to tears with his recital of the classic poem Horatius.

The Drifter

Rocket Surgeon said:
Middlesbrough born, Raiders of the Lost Ark Australian Climber and Tommy Cooper straightman Patrick Durkin has passed away at 74.

His brother, John, told how the Raiders of the Lost Ark actor moved Harrison Ford to tears with his recital of the classic poem Horatius.

Damn, not the Australian Climber! May he RIP.
115.jpg

DocWhiskey

What a shame. I always made my friends life by saying he reminded me of a big baby in Raiders. He was very good. RIP.

JCC1004

That was a funny scene and his hair was even funnier.:D It's a shame so many Indy actors are passing. I hope Harrison doesn't soon. Let him RIW.( Rest in Whiskey):D and peace. Pay Roach was the one that hurt me the most.

Insomniac

I always that he was a she (in all seriousness) but I truly am saddened and hope that he lived his life well.

Rocket Surgeon said:
Where did you hear this that is truly impressive!

DocWhiskey

I'm really surprised a lot of you thought he was a she. I mean, now that I look at the picture I can kind of see what you guys are saying, but it's still kind of obvious it's a guy. Plus the whole thing that made the scene was that Marion was drinking a MAN under the table. That really set up her character.

Mickiana

For a long time I thought he was an Australian actor, based on his role as an Australian climber. Alas he is not, but i'm glad they chose to make him Australian. Who else to take on Marion but a hard drinkin' Aussie! RIP Pat.

Stoo

Just finished watching, "Carry On Dick", on the U.K. channel Film4 and noticed that Patrick Durkin was in it. I didn't realize, until now, that he was a part of the "Carry On" gang since he was apparently in at least 4 other of their films as well.

"Carry On Sergeant"
"Carry On Nurse"
"Carry On Spying"
"Carry On Cowboy"

Montana Smith

Stoo said:
Just finished watching, "Carry On Dick", on the U.K. channel Film4 and noticed that Patrick Durkin was in it. I didn't realize, until now, that he was a part of the "Carry On" gang since he was apparently in at least 4 other of their films as well.

"Carry On Sergeant"
"Carry On Nurse"
"Carry On Spying"
"Carry On Cowboy"

I never realized that either.

Carry on Sergeant:
5048-3008.jpg

Carry on Spying:
5048-3009.gif

Carry on Cowboy:
5048-2994.jpg

An episode of The Saint in 1967:

tve5048-19670113-302.gif

And The Professionals in 1978:

tve5048-19780106-277.gif

http://www.aveleyman.com/ActorCredit.aspx?ActorID=5048

Mickiana

I'd like to know who the costars were playing his fellow Aussie climbers, the guys egging him on. They sound Australian.

Montana Smith

Last weekend I picked up the DVD box set of The Comic Strip Presents..., the series of spoofs with Keith Allen, Robbie Coltrane, Ade Edmondson, Dawn French, Jennifer Saunders, Rik Mayall, Nigel Planer, Peter Richardson, Danny Peacock (who appeared in The Jewel of the Nile), and the Sultan of Hatay himself, Alexei Sayle.

I'd watched some of the episodes when they first aired on Channel Four, including the feature film, The Supergrass, in which a certain Constable Franks reminded me of an Australian climber far from home!

Couldn't find any screen caps of Durkin in The Supergrass on the net, so I created some:

PDVD_000.jpg

PDVD_002.jpg

PDVD_001.jpg