TOD references

The_Raiders

I have to agree that when Indy pulled that lever in the hole it remined me of TOD, and the "Don't touch anything". I think there were afew more things that made me think of TOD, but like afew have said I will need to see it again.

nitzsche

I though KotCS blended all three previous movie moments perfectly. The thrills like we had in ToD like the raft from the plane, the mine car chase and the bridge scene were echoed in the thrills in KotCS like the fridge scene, the waterfalls, and the tree. I also thought that Indy under the spell of the Skull was similar to him becoming under the influence of the blood of Kali. Mola Ram and Spalko explaining what they planned to do to take over the world while Indy was struggling under mind control.

Gillman

this is minor, but the way Indy pulled his hat down for a nap on the plane while Mutt secured his motorcycle instantly reminded me of TOD

The Drifter

Gillman said:
this is minor, but the way Indy pulled his hat down for a nap on the plane while Mutt secured his motorcycle instantly reminded me of TOD

Me also!
I whispered to myself "Temple of Doom!" and my wife was like "Huh?"

Nurhachi1991

When Indy was translating the language as it was spoken to him.

Like when the village leader was talking to him about the stone and he translated the story to Willie and Shorty

NamedAfterDaDog

acsgrlie said:
It's probably a stretch but I thought of TOD when Indy stuck his hand in to pull that one handle in the...graveyard set?

Exactly what I did too. I immediately thought of Willie going "Ooohhh, Gaawwdd, what is this??!!!"

Attila the Professor

Staff member
I remarked to my friend that in the first 15 minutes of the film they covered all the major plot points of the first 3 films. It's a glib remark, and not quite one that'd stand up to examination, but you get what I'm saying. Fight with a chain on some sort of vehicle? Tank chase! Mac's betrayal? "Because he didn't take my advice." The warehouse? The warehouse. The Ark? The Ark. Helping out the enemy? "As what? A Nazi stooge like you?" And opening the film with a popular song sure is fun.

It's the games that really come through a bit. Spalko's psychic powers and eventual standing on a platform and coming face to face with a force less benign than she expected? Very Fate of Atlantis. The trap when they're running down the temple on the receding platforms, to say nothing of the interdimensional idea? Infernal Machine. Hell, even the throne room with crazy things going on with heads and things coming to life that shouldn't is somewhat suggestive of Emperor's Tomb.

Maybe it's just because it's the fourth one in a film series and even farther down the line for those of us who know Indy in other media, but so many things seemed familiar, and not just as if they were going according to formula. I wonder how many were conscious and how many were not.

Shemp

I thought the scene where Mutt and Indy are on the plane, and Mutt is polishing his motorcycle and then Indy, kicks up his feet, and pulls his hat over his eyes, was a reference to the ToD plane scene.