God is dead.

When I saw your thread I said...oh my God!

I sort of expected more from when turned out to be your "One Thesis".

However, it's clean and straight forward.

God is not dead, he's on a respirator holding on.

His cash crop: "The Poor and Uneducated" still thrive today, but in cultures where "The State" has embraced the role of educator his immune system is under an insidious attack!

The only variable keeping the Alpha and Omega in the "rotation" is the failure of secular education.

vaxer

Moderator Emeritus
Deckard said:
He fell off the slide at McDonalds. Discuss.

And I thought this was going to be a discussion about Friedrich Nietzsche. Anyway here's the full quote:

"God is dead. God remains dead. And we have killed him. How shall we comfort ourselves, the murderers of all murderers? What was holiest and mightiest of all that the world has yet owned has bled to death under our knives: who will wipe this blood off us? What water is there for us to clean ourselves? What festivals of atonement, what sacred games shall we have to invent? Is not the greatness of this deed too great for us? Must we ourselves not become gods simply to appear worthy of it?"

Deckard

Yea, I just read Thus Spoke Zarathustra for the first time since I've really been old enough to understand it.

But I figured I'd curveball the topic to divert attention from the trainwreck of a thread that was going on below it. :D

Stoo

He's been dead for awhile now...Since 1996.:p

ohgod-pos.jpg

Zeppelin

Jung: "Nietzsche was no atheist, but his God was dead...the tragedy of Zarathustra is that, because his God died, Nietzsche himself became a god; and this happened because he was no atheist. He was of too positive a nature to tolerate the urban neurosis of atheism."

vaxer

Moderator Emeritus
Nietzsche, like Sartre, are two thinkers that resolutely face the fact that God is dead which means that the universe contains no inherent meaning or purpose. Both thinkers also think that it is human beings who create moral values and attempt to give meaning to life. The (atheistic) existentialist thought is very present today, specially in europeen secular countries.

Dr. Gonzo

"I walk among this people and I let many a word drop; but they know neither how to accept nor how to retain." - our good man Fredrich

I'll check back in later and see if the Übermensch disscussion begins to rear its head.