General Indy 5 Thread - rumors and possibilities

Honestly...will there be another Indy film in the next decade?

• Total voters

Dr. Gonzo

The next bit of significant news will be announcing that a writer has been attached to the project to write a draft. Anything other than that kind of news is superfluous. And even then this film is way far from being a concrete matter. I don't think it's in the cards myself... If there's no news before this year is out then consider Indiana Jones an artifact.

Indy's brother

Dr. Gonzo said:
The next bit of significant news will be announcing that a writer has been attached to the project to write a draft. Anything other than that kind of news is superfluous. And even then this film is way far from being a concrete matter.

Oh I know, and completely agree. I doubt Ford is going to say anything definite, let alone officially announce anything in an interview with a blogger at a charity event. But given the nature of the event, I would be genuinely surprised if it didn't yield some kind of quote about Indy 5.

Dr. Gonzo said:
I don't think it's in the cards myself... If there's no news before this year is out then consider Indiana Jones an artifact.

I'm sure we'll hear more as the year progresses.

Montana Smith

Ajax the Great said:
I'm convinced that Karen Allen was only in Indy 4 for nostalgia. They desperately wanted her character so they tried to piece together a motivation for her to be there, when she shouldn't have been. They should let storytelling drive the next installment, not nostalgia.

Hopefully by the start of Indy V, Indy and Marion will already be divorced. They'd find married life impossible - he'd always be off doing his own thing. Mutt can be off at college (somewhere a long way away), and Marion can move away to be closer to him so she can do his laundry.

Lego Indy

Ajax the Great said:
The optimist in me keeps hearkening back to what Karen Allen said about shooting Indy 5 over the summer of 2011.

The pessimist in me thinks that that means Karen Allen is going to be in Indy 5.

Any Indy 5 would be welcomed by me. (y)

RedeemedChild

Dr. Gonzo said:
The next bit of significant news will be announcing that a writer has been attached to the project to write a draft. Anything other than that kind of news is superfluous. And even then this film is way far from being a concrete matter. I don't think it's in the cards myself... If there's no news before this year is out then consider Indiana Jones an artifact.

I agree Dr. Gonzo. Anything besides the announcing of a writer will be quite far on down the line.

I really hope that Indiana Jones 5 will happen but I'm so fearful it won't. I also do think that Karen Allen won't play a major role in the next movie unless she is given a very important part to play in an intricate and carefully crafted story plot. I think that if anything Mutt will be the focus of this film as the writers will put forth their utmost effort to focus on passing the baton from Indiana Jones to Mutt as Harrison Ford grows too old to cast the action figure of Indiana Jones that we grew accustomed to in the past films.

Montana Smith

RedeemedChild said:
I think that if anything Mutt will be the focus of this film as the writers will put forth their utmost effort to focus on passing the baton from Indiana Jones to Mutt as Harrison Ford grows too old to cast the action figure of Indiana Jones that we grew accustomed to in the past films.

And that will be the last nail in the coffin of Indiana Jones.

Johnny Nys

Nothing but talks, ideas going back and forth, same old replies in interviews ... If this summer doesn't see a confirmation of actual plans to make this movie (which we still haven't seen, since it's all still in the "let's see if we can come up with a potential story we then might turn into an eventual movie" phase), I have a feeling the window of opportunity has passed and it's not going to happen.

I'm quite torn between wanting to hear nothing for a long time and wanting to hear the same beating around the bush every month. You might argue it's good it's still being discussed, but at the same time it sounds like heavy procrastination and postponing the inevitable shutdown.

I don't know, perhaps I'm just looking at it too seriously. It's just no fun anymore talking and speculating about it.

Mickiana

I agree Johnny Nys. I'm wearying of keeping the hope up. The logical part of me says it's just a matter of time, but another part is drained by the continuing expectation that is not being fulfilled.

Hanselation

KOTCS opened nearly at the same time with "Sex and the City" and "Iron Man".

The sequels "Sex and the City 2" and "Iron Man 2" will release next month ... and the next Indiana Jones sequel? Indiana Jones 5? There isn't even an announcement about that they're working on a script. :confused:

Are they (especially George Lucas) dallying or are they working in secret?

Hope dies last!

Montana Smith

Hanselation said:
KOTCS opened nearly at the same time with "Sex and the City" and "Iron Man".

The sequels "Sex and the City 2" and "Iron Man 2" will release next month ... and the next Indiana Jones sequel? Indiana Jones 5? There isn't even an announcement about that they're working on a script. :confused:

Are they (especially George Lucas) dallying or are they working in secret?

Hope dies last!

Long delays between Indy films is normal. That they don't appear like clockwork is the very thing that makes them more special than most films.

That's me thinking positively!

Violet

Moderator Emeritus
Still am of the opinion that it ain't going to happen. That and admittedly, I'm personally just not sure about the idea of having another film. I guess I'm worried it would disappoint me again. That and it could have been much worse, considering the Indy 4 script rejects.

FedoraHead

I don't think Spielberg will do it. From what I read he didn't really want to do LC and really was the last hold out for KOTCS. I don't see them doing it with out Speilberd. I don't think he will say "no" but just hold out until it's to late.

Indy's brother

Violet Indy said:
I guess I'm worried it would disappoint me again. That and it could have been much worse, considering the Indy 4 script rejects.

Actually, the rejected ideas going all the way back to ROTLA should give you hope. Toht was supposed to have a mechanical arm (I think is was Toht), and the fertility idol was supposed to have life-like animatronic eyes (that prop as you probably already know was actually made and ditched at the last minute). They don't have enough time to dwell on crappy ideas and try to force them into a movie again. KOTCS has kind of cleared the way for a better installment imho. I sometimes view KOTCS as a necessary evil to get things rolling again. Now that SS and HF caved in to the insistences of GL, they are over the hump and can get back to business. That's the optimistic view, of course. The cynic would say that now the flood gates are open to just get really retarded with the series. Of course, that's assuming that these guys live in a hermetically sealed bubble and were not introduced to the term "Nuked the fridge". Big ego(s) or not, that one had to sting. I'm sure it left an impression on how far the believability could be stretched in the Indyverse.

FedoraHead

Is it just me but when I hear of a dumb idea 90% of the time it's from Lucas? I think he wanted to do a Indiana Jones in a Ghost House after Raiders. I am not one of the many Lucas bashers but it does seem like he comes up with crazy stuff.

Indy's brother

Yeah, the Haunted Castle idea was pretty weak, (although some here actually like it). Soooooo glad that didn't materialize. Some people speculate that the castle in LC is directly related to that. So in the end it worked out fine. George DOES come up with some pretty outrageous stuff, and from the outside looking in, it seems that SS is the guy to reel him back in.

Prime Blue

I wish they'd finally announce it. The fourth movie was just as much "stupid fun" as the first three, and it also acted as a setup for the character relations after all these years. At times, it felt like a bridge to a fifth installment.

Indy's brother said:
KOTCS has kind of cleared the way for a better installment imho. I sometimes view KOTCS as a necessary evil to get things rolling again.
And after I wrote my paragraph, I read yours. Turns out I think almost the same way, just that I don't see KotCS as a necessary evil.

Indy's brother

This should probably be chalked up to my conspiratorial mindset about the tight-lipped attitude lately about Indy 5 from GL and SS. But anyway, any chance this could have relevance here?

It seems that Abrams has added another project to the pile and, according to Vulture, he will be collaborating on a new secretive film project with Steven Spielberg.

The site reports that Abrams had just finished the script for the unnamed project, which was said to be, "a tip of the hat to [Spielberg's] movies of the seventies and early eighties." It was also said that Abrams would direct the new film himself, with production to take place as early as this fall for Paramount.

While details on the story of the film weren't readily available, it was said that the film will deal with ordinary people put in extraordinary circumstances, similar to such early Spielberg films as Jaws, Close Encounters of the Third Kind and E.T. the Extra-Terrestrial. It was also said that Abrams is "insistent" that Spielberg be involved in the project, perhaps as an executive producer or advisor.

"J.J. wants to make sure Steven is properly paid homage to," said the site's source. "This is really an interpretation of some of Spielberg's earlier films, but done in a personal way."

I'm sure it's nothing really, but it seemed out of left-field that Spielberg would suddenly be working on a film that is based on his own work from the 70's/80's, and it's all hush-hush. If it's about Indy 5, I'd say it's a cool idea. Maybe even a great idea?

YouNeverKnow

Indy's brother said:
This should probably be chalked up to my conspiratorial mindset about the tight-lipped attitude lately about Indy 5 from GL and SS. But anyway, any chance this could have relevance here?

I'm sure it's nothing really, but it seemed out of left-field that Spielberg would suddenly be working on a film that is based on his own work from the 70's/80's, and it's all hush-hush. If it's about Indy 5, I'd say it's a cool idea. Maybe even a great idea?

It would seem that it's more an homage to his early alien work than anything related to Indy.

Indy's brother

YouNeverKnow said:
It would seem that it's more an homage to his early alien work than anything related to Indy.

You're probably more right than I am, but all Abram's projects are titled....except for this one, that is shrouded in secrecy, etc, etc. Why the reticence?