Bacon

Indy's brother

Ya'll shut up and accept my win:

253694_445774055498524_593423967_n.png

kongisking

Montana Smith said:
She looks happy.

So does Grumpy.

Is it because he has a bacon rasher stuck on his mask?

800px-TDK_20006.jpg

Wow, good eye, Smiffy. I literally had to re-watch the scene just now, just to confirm for myself.

Which brings up the great question: what does Joker think of bacon? I imagine he's fond of it, considering the rather cruel and inhumane way it is created...:eek:

Montana Smith

kongisking said:
Wow, good eye, Smiffy. I literally had to re-watch the scene just now, just to confirm for myself.

Which brings up the great question: what does Joker think of bacon? I imagine he's fond of it, considering the rather cruel and inhumane way it is created...:eek:

Forget Ichi the Killer, if it weren't for Harvey's coin it might have been The Silence of the Piglets.

355ewh.jpg

Anna_Ramirez_01.jpg

Moedred

Administrator
Staff member
105-Year-Old Texas Woman Reveals Bacon as her Secret behind Long Life

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/WxamQBCwfWM" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Joe Brody

Today, It?s the Bacon, Not the Pigs, That Has Haight-Ashbury Agitated
Sizzling Debate Over Smell Heats Up in San Francisco; 'Magical Ingredient'

A sizzling debate over the smell emitted by a bacon restaurant is heating up in San Francisco.

By Vauhini Vara

SAN FRANCISCO?The Haight-Ashbury district was all about peace and love until bacon entered the picture.

The trouble began in May, when this city?s health department shut down a popular restaurant called Bacon Bacon after neighbors? complaints caused a permit delay. The neighbors? concern: the scent of bacon grease was blowin? in the wind.

Now bacon lovers have found out, and they?re raising a stink.

Ahead of a permit hearing scheduled for Thursday, nearly 3,000 bacon advocates have signed a petition in support of Bacon Bacon. Phylis Johnson-Silk, who lives around the corner and loves the place, is making signs that say, ?Bacon rules!? and ?Really? You complained to the cops that you smelled bacon??

The restaurant?s owner printed up shirts that read, ?Smell this!? and says they are selling like hot cakes. Bacon Bacon devotee Nick Barnes, a 24-year-old who tattooed the shop?s logo on his wrist a year ago, says he is ?devastated? and has posted on his Facebook page about the restaurant?s closure.

On Twitter, supporters are flaming dissenting neighbors. San Franciscan Michael Siliski tweeted, ?C?mon, who doesn?t like the smell of bacon??

The answer is neighbors whose complaints led to the permitting delay that prompted the restaurant?s closure.

David Nevins, who lives nearby, describes the restaurant?s odor as acrid??not the bacon smell people like,? he says. The backlash from supporters has gotten so intense that Mr. Nevins says he and his wife feel ?outnumbered? and aren?t looking forward to attending Thursday?s hearing.

?Neither one of us wants to show up,? says Mr. Nevins.

?It?s almost like a religion or something with all these followers,? his wife, Inge Nevins, adds.

The attorney for another neighbor, Whitney Gilkey, says his client is afraid to speak his mind to reporters for fear of retaliation by the bacon-lovers. On the Internet, ?people say very ominous things, like, ?Tell us who made the complaint,? ? says the attorney, Ryan Patterson.

The man behind the bacon didn?t mean to start a war. Jim Angelus, 44, opened the Haight-Ashbury brick-and-mortar outpost of his bacon-slinging food truck in January of 2012. ?It?s, like, the magical ingredient,? he remembers thinking at the time.

Mr. Angelus started serving grilled-cheese sandwiches layered with slices of bacon and smeared in bacon jam, along with ?bouquets? of bacon strips drizzled in maple syrup. Soon, Mr. Angelus was cooking up 300 pounds of bacon a week. Bacon Bacon?s motto (available on T-shirts): ?You had me at bacon.? He says he heard great things about the smell of his bacon.

But while Mr. Angelus was frying, some Haight neighbors were stewing. It was bad enough that the restaurant?s patrons used neighbors? stoops for dining tables and that Mr. Angelus had a habit of parking his truck on the street, they say.

Then one day, Ms. Nevins was outside and noticed another problem: a ?strong bacon smell,? she noted on a pad where she and Mr. Nevins were logging issues with the restaurant.

A month later, she wrote, ?bacon smell worse.?

By April, the smell was ?very, very stinky,? according to her notes.

The scent of bacon involves a process called the Maillard reaction, says Ken Prusa, the head of Iowa State University?s Sensory Evaluation Unit. It is a chemical process, also found in french fries and baked bread, in which an amino acid and a reducing sugar combine to release big smells and a nice brown color. That and the reaction of sodium nitrite with protein gives bacon ?a very pleasant cured aroma profile,? says Prof. Prusa, who isn?t involved in the San Francisco spat.

But when it comes to leftover bacon byproducts, like rendered lard that mixes with oxygen, the smell can get really unpleasant, he says?a little like paint or wet cardboard.

When Mr. Angelus applied for a permit from the city?s department of building inspection to operate Bacon Bacon, Mr. Gilkey filed a request asking the city?s planning commission to take a closer look because of the odor and other issues. He offered to help pay for an odor-abatement system, but Mr. Angelus declined because it was too expensive.

The back and forth delayed the planning commission?s decision on the matter, and in May, the health department shut down the restaurant because it was still without a permit. Sharon Young, a planner at the planning department, says it is unclear whether Mr. Angelus had been operating earlier without the right permits because there was some confusion around permit requirements and rules have changed since he first opened the business.

After the closure, the atmosphere really got noxious on the famously peace-loving sidewalks of the Haight.

The shutdown got some attention from local newspapers and blogs. ?Saturday Night Live? mentioned it. Bacon Bacon?s supporters?offended that anyone could take issue with the smell of bacon?launched their offensive. Mr. Angelus taped to his restaurant?s windows banners that read ?Save Bacon Bacon.?

Down on the corner of Frederick Street and Ashbury, resident Molly Breivis says she has known the Nevins for years but feels, frankly, that they are being ?a thorn in people?s sides.? For her part, she usually can?t smell a thing?but when she does get a whiff of bacon, she loves it.

?A lot of people got really carried away with condemning me,? Mr. Nevins says. ?I used to be much more of a bacon eater,? says Ms. Nevins. ?But now I?m not.?

Jeremy Paul, the permit-expediting consultant for Bacon Bacon?s owner, is practically salivating in anticipation of Thursday?s hearing. ?It?s going to be a circus,? he says.

As Mr. Angelus stood outside Bacon Bacon on a recent Friday taping a video message encouraging people to attend the hearing, a man in a nearby bus shelter seemed to recognize him and raised his fist in the air in solidarity. ?Fight the power! Fight ?em!? Mr. Angelus called out. ?Bacon!?

Write to Vauhini Vara at vauhini.vara@wsj.com

roundshort

1 of the many reason I go to the city (SF) as little as possible. Funny about half way through the article I started singing (in my head)-

"We built this city....We built this city...on BBAAAAACCOOONNNNNN....."

Again, bacon has jumped the shark - but it is still tasty!

Pale Horse

Staff member
roundshort said:
UNI is the new Bacon.. That is all

Sea Urchin, are you serial?!

The wifey and I just indulged our sushi fest on a date last Sat. night. As you know it's a treat to get out sans the offspring. So we don't hold back.

But does it compare to bacon?...well, just maybe.