Rest In Peace, [Insert Name Here]

roundshort

RIP Anthony Bourdain. I was a few years into my first Sommeleir job in Colorado when his Kitchen Confidential book was published. Was a fun read. Very sad. Only 61.

Pale Horse

Staff member
roundshort said:
RIP Anthony Bourdain. I was a few years into my first Sommeleir job in Colorado when his Kitchen Confidential book was published. Was a fun read. Very sad. Only 61.

Did you ever meet him?

roundshort

No, while I liked a few of his books, I was not a huge fan of his whole image. I have a few thoughts as to what may have triggered this in him, but will keep it private.

Moedred

Administrator
Staff member
Faye Spanos, namesake of the University of Pacific concert hall seen in Raiders and Crystal Skull, 92. Wife of LA Chargers owner Alex.

axelan

Moedred said:
Burt Reynolds, the man who turned down Han Solo. What if he hadn't?

If he hadn't, I'm certain I wouldn't have liked star wars nearly as much. Impossible to know what it would have been like but I think it would have been more of just another movie to me.

roundshort

axelan said:
If he hadn't, I'm certain I wouldn't have liked star wars nearly as much. Impossible to know what it would have been like but I think it would have been more of just another movie to me.

I think he could have been better. At least as good.

roundshort

My wife was born in Poland and did not move to the US until the mid 90s. As a result she did not live through the great era of Trucker movies. To celebrate Burt Reynolds I was able to convince her to watch Smokey and the Bandit (and #2). She laughed and hopefully I can convince her to watch Clint Eastwoods masterpiece Any Whichway movies.

Man, late 70 trucker movies were awesome.

axelan

roundshort said:
But we are talking about Han Solo which I think Burt would be awesome as

Sorry, maybe for you but I am a Ford fan and they almost certainly wouldn't have been as good of movies for me without him.

roundshort

axelan said:
Sorry, maybe for you but I am a Ford fan and they almost certainly wouldn't have been as good of movies for me without him.

Don?t take me the wrong way. Huge Harrison Ford fan as well, but I think Reynolds would have knocked it out of the park as Han. I think he would have failed as Indy though.

Grizzlor

Sad news that the great director Dick Donner has died, he was 91. Mr. Donner famously "created" the superhero movie genre with the original Superman The Movie, which remains a gold standard. He later did the fan favorite The Goonies with Steven, that was largely THE movie of the decade for kids growing up in the 80s. He also was responsible for the Lethal Weapon action franchise, the humorous Maverick, and the offbeat The Omen and Radio Flyer. Perhaps his best film, IMO, was the Bill Murray Christmas special aka Scrooged.

Face_Melt

I think I was one of the few people that was really excited for his Lethal Finale project (Lethal Weapon 5). He just confirmed in December he was going to direct it, not only was it to be the final installment in the franchise but it was supposed to be his final film period.

Now I wonder if it will still get made, and be dedicated to him or if it will just be scrapped.

This guy was very talented, and people that worked with him seemed to love and adore him. Rest In Peace!

Forbidden Eye

I definitely have a childhood fondness for The Goonies, which of course was Indiana Jones-lite and even starred Short Round!

Also believe he was the last director of the original Twilight Zone still alive!