Go Back   The Raven > The Films > Kingdom of the Crystal Skull
User Name
Password

Old 07-22-2018, 04:56 AM   #176
Major West
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raiders112390
Given the use of DI mentioned above, is CS limited to 4K? I've read in time the last two SW prequels will be rendered unwatchable due to being filmed in 2K digital. So when we move on to 8-10K, will CS look bad visually?

Crystal Skulls DI was in 2k according to the technical specs on the IMDB.

Quote:
Negative Format 35 mm (Kodak Vision2 250D 5205, Vision2 500T 5218)
Cinematographic Process Digital Intermediate (2K) (master format)
Panavision (anamorphic) (source format)
Printed Film Format 35 mm (Kodak Vision Premier 2393)
D-Cinema

Plenty of modern blockbuster movies made now only have 2k DIs. Why? because it's very expensive to render visual FX CGI higher than 2k. So many of these recent blockbuster movies are just upscaled to 4k afterwards.

Last edited by Major West : 07-22-2018 at 05:05 AM.
Major West is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2018, 02:49 PM   #177
Raiders112390
IndyFan

A side question:
All these home movie cameras that say they're 4K, are they actually? I've had the same video camera since 2010 and I want to get something that will capture vivid, crisp, almost filmlike videos of family and friends, for an affordable price.
Raiders112390 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2018, 04:32 PM   #178
Udvarnoky
IndyFan

You're not going to get a feature film quality camera for a low price. You can get a 4K home video camera and yes they're really 4K - but resolution is only one factor. There is also compression, the quality of the lens, the quality of the sensor, etc. And that's just the camera. Lighting is hugely important, too.

That said, you can definitely get an affordable camera that shoots a great image. Just don't think that "4K" in and of itself means you're gonna get anything that looks like Hollywood films. If you're just shooting stuff of your family and friends, you'll have a lot of good options.
Udvarnoky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2018, 06:48 PM   #179
Raiders112390
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Udvarnoky
You're not going to get a feature film quality camera for a low price. You can get a 4K home video camera and yes they're really 4K - but resolution is only one factor. There is also compression, the quality of the lens, the quality of the sensor, etc. And that's just the camera. Lighting is hugely important, too.

That said, you can definitely get an affordable camera that shoots a great image. Just don't think that "4K" in and of itself means you're gonna get anything that looks like Hollywood films. If you're just shooting stuff of your family and friends, you'll have a lot of good options.

What's something low compression, 4k, with a good quality sensor for under say 500?
Raiders112390 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2018, 08:26 PM   #180
Udvarnoky
IndyFan

I would just rely on Google for finding the best camera at your price point. I'm really no expert.
Udvarnoky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2018, 03:35 AM   #181
hismasterplan
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raiders112390
What's something low compression, 4k, with a good quality sensor for under say 500?

I think lowest you can get for the quality your looking for is the Blackmagic Pocket Cinema Camera 4K for about 1200. Sony has a 4K line up but nothing under 500 yet. GoPro might be worth looking into: Hero 4, 5 and 6 are out. Then get a stabilizing handle or gimbal to get rid of the shakiness.
hismasterplan is offline   Reply With Quote